? 6/25 Jag, AMPS: 117, Kidney Issues Now?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by chrisb3127, Jun 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrisb3127

chrisb3127 Member

Here's the latest on Jag! It's been a crazy ride so far. One issue resolves, then another pops up. :(

He still only nibbles on food here and there, so I'm still syringe feeding him. It's working -- he's gaining back the weight he lost from the end of May. He's also much more alert/active acting ever since feeding him at least 2 5.5oz cans of kitten food daily, with a 3/4 cup of water blended with it. I also found out at the vet he can handle 3 to 4oz of food at a time, so there are less feeding sessions now.

His BG seems more consistent now, in mostly blues, with a rate yellow or pink here and there. He also goes into the greens at nadir.

However, his bloodwork came back wonky. The liver/bilirubin issue is resolved with those values being back to normal.

His red blood cell count is very low -- at 5.85. Vet does not want a transfusion yet, she said he is slightly dehydrated (again!), and prescribed 150mL subQ every other day for at least 2 to 3 weeks. First option was to ensure he gets 2.5 cups of water a day, but subQ would be easier to hydrate versus trying to get that much water in him.

His kidney tests are bad. The SDMA came in at 25, BUN 64, and Creatinine at 3.1.

Back in April (before insulin/FD diagnosis), his values were fine.

I guess my question would be, any ideas on what could be going on with him? It seems ever since we started insulin, other issues keep popping up. Not sure what to make of it, I thought he would've passed his blood test since he was becoming very alert and normal-acting for the past week.

The vet wants to see him again in 3 weeks to redo all bloodwork. In the meantime, I continue his insulin, feeding via syringe to ensure enough food intake, and administer subQ every other day.

All the info for the labs is in the spreadsheet! :)

2. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

That is a lot of fluids.

Numbers aren't great but not too bad.
    Last labs on Gizmo were:
    BUN 70
    Creat 3.0

Not sure what level this is. Gizmo is anemic and is on Epogen. His HCT was 20% and at check last week was up to 33%

Dehydration can cause labs to look worse and once rehydrated can improve.

Website for ckd
    http://www.felinecrf.org/index.htm

Interpreting the labs
    http://www.felinecrf.org/how_bad_is_it.htm

Anaemia
    http://www.felinecrf.org/anaemia.htm#why_anaemia

Amanda & Shmee and chrisb3127 like this.
  3. Carol in Chicago

Carol in Chicago Member

Just want to reiterate what the point Lizzie made re: dehydration. It can make a minor issue look very bad. Best advice at this point is to focus on hydration and then re-evaluate.

Think positive here! :bighug:

chrisb3127 likes this.
  4. chrisb3127

chrisb3127 Member

Thanks @LizzieInTexas and @Carol in Chicago ! Hopefully the fluids will help him out. That's I think why she didn't seem overly worried yet about the low RBC and kidney values, since those can definitely impact him from dehydration. He's a bigger cat, so I think that's part of the issue getting everything balanced out.

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I think it’s better to give less fluids daily and thus evenly hydrated.are youmgiving B vitamins for the anemia? Sorry if that’s been asked and answered already.

chrisb3127 likes this.
  6. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

Many vines your way Chris and Jag :bighug:
    I hope some hydration helps. One thing at a time.

chrisb3127 likes this.
  7. chrisb3127

chrisb3127 Member

A few weeks ago, I was giving 100mL/day for 10 days. Not sure why they want it done every other day this time.

No vitamin B was mentioned. What kind do you recommend?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.