6/27 Lanky - has something to say

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by sehjak (Susan & Lanky), Jun 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sehjak (Susan & Lanky)

sehjak (Susan & Lanky) Well-Known Member

Today's LL Condo

I am cross-posting (there may be a more efficient way to do this so suggestions welcome) with Lantus. And, I am thinking of doing this daily because Lanky has so much going on. Although this forum has not been as active as LL it does target a special need that many of us have -- helping our ACRO babies. And, we started this adventure in Lantus Land so there is a sentimental attachment, at least for me.

Lanky uses Lantus, is high dose, recently dx ACRO, blood sample for GH test to be taken this week & sent to Minnesota for analysis on July 8, my vet should be talking with Dr. Lunn regarding ACRO treatments, my constant helper, supporter, & recommender is D and Noisy from Lantus Land, we are learning as we go, if it is in the "cards" I want to take Lanky to CSU for treatment, everyday is a struggle & a worry but I am hanging in there because of all of you & Lanky.

It is heartbreaking to read about all of the needy kitties but heartwarming to hear and see all of the concerned help & advice. I don't have much history or background to opine strongly on much of the discussions I see going on here, in Community, FB, etc. on DCIN, format & process, people stuff. But because:
    1-learning curve is phenomenal just to try & understand about the diseases (ACRO & FD),
    2-using the SS, the board, the backup board, FB, etc. does not come naturally for some of us,
    3-getting healthy debate appears to be in every kitties best interest even though it is hard for some of us beans,

anything that helps the newbies get up to speed fast, supports the regulars when they are at their wits end which happens often, and keep us on the cutting edge of knowledge & technique sharing has to be a good thing. If that is the focus, maybe some of these other annoyances & perturbations can be held to a minimum.

Anything and everything that helps the kitties & helps us help the kitties should be pursued, kept, enhanced, made better.

2. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Hi there Susan and Lanky!

That's great that you're thinking about the SRS! Boo is still doing wonderful - in fact, the anniversary of her treatment was last week. I will be happy to answer any questions you have on that. Holly & Pablo had it a few weeks ago, and hopefully, things are going well.

I check here everyday and will always try to be a cheerleader. Unfortunately, I really can't help on dosing anymore, but I do try to keep my eyes open and help where I can.

3. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

I was just coming over to study some SSs and was happy to see you guys here. :mrgreen:

I still remember Boo's party -- it was a special one. It felt "groundbreaking".

Back to research I go.

4. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Susan, I'm going to post some of my replies to your PM (maybe we'll get a lurker! :mrgreen: )

I've sent Holly a couple of e-mails, but haven't had a reply since she made it home. I would love to know how Pablo's doing (I keep meaning to peek at her spreadsheet).

There were absolutely no side effects, thank God. The hardest part of the whole week was the effects of the anesthesia (she would be groggy until about 8 pm). She was treated the last week of June 2009; she went off insulin Sept. 11. Unfortunately, she does have kidney damage, so she takes benazepril and calcitriol. Fortunately, none of her organs were enlarged.

Re: Dosing
    Even though Lanky's acro, you still follow protocol, except that you can raise quicker if needed (4 cycles) and can raise at greater units. The main differences are that you can't shoot as low and you intervene with HC rather than regular food. I tended to shoot lower than many acros, but Boo's dose wasn't as high (10 u Lantus was the highest). I was comfortable shooting under 100 and comfortable for her to hit a 50; however, I only did it when I was able to test and intervene. I spent a lot of time looking at other acro ss when I had to make decisions.

5. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Thank you D! I know what you mean - it was special for me and Boo, but it was also special for all acros. I still have the poem Jojo wrote me. I just hated it when my party video disappeared. :sad:

6. D and Noisy

So many party videos went. I still can not believe Photobucket did not provide notice OR a way of preserving them before stopping the "remix" section of their site. One day, I went there and they were all gone. I think the stills are still there. I'll check on that. Maybe there are some that convey the party enough to want to save them. You still have the party thread, I recall it being so exciting because of how ground breaking it was. Didn't Dr. Lunn come to the party?

Last night, I was reading the protocol here in High Dose ISG. I'd like to stick with that, understanding at the same time ECID and adjusting as necessary.

Before I go on, I know I am not an acro mom and think you acro moms know more. I am humbled by what some of you have gone through. Before Lanky's DX we became very close. I have studied his SS every day since we met. I feel I have a feel for him. After DX I thought about whether I should advise anymore, not being an acro mom. That is a constant question and I am proceeding carefully. At times I have asked for help from Carolyn and Spot. Susan is good about asking others too. What kept coming to my mind was -- if Lanky was my kitty I would do what I am doing now -- learn, learn, learn. I'm glad Susan came over here cause you acro moms can help us learn.

7. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA Member

Hey, why shouldn't you help Susan and Lanky? Just because the doses are bigger and the increases larger/faster? You KNOW them... and are one of the best people to help! So don't think that any of us are going to tell you to stop! :mrgreen: Acrocats and their beans take all the help that's available!

Glad to see you D!

8. D and Noisy

Thanks Carolyn! He is a special kitty in my heart.

9. D and Noisy

I just did a quick poke around Photobucket and found a couple of Boo's OTJ party pics. Sadly, since most of the construction of Boo's party was done inside of "remix" I don't think much more still exists. I did search my hard drive for "Boo" -- that produced 5,721 results. :roll:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Thank you D! Those are the best pictures. I'll get them saved to my hard drive NOW. :mrgreen:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.