6/28 Lanky's LL condo

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by sehjak (Susan & Lanky), Jun 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sehjak (Susan & Lanky)

sehjak (Susan & Lanky) Well-Known Member

Lanky's 6/28 LL Condo

Not sure how this x-posting is going to work but here goes a try. Hopefully, this information will be helpful to ACRO newbies especially and others as they research, learn, and share information and contribute to the discussions. More to come.

Have a good day everyone.

2. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

Plan is to hold 7u for 4 cycles unless numbers indicate a move down.

ETA
    p.s. It feels good to post here since we know other acro moms will be by. LL is good too since there is so much traffic.

3. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA Member

Sounds like a good plan to me!

(and I'm glad you both are here, too!)

dancing_cat <<<< Fletcher is too!

4. sehjak (Susan & Lanky)

Re: 6/28 Lanky's LL condo; must fast before vet apt - help

Lanky has a vet apt Wed at noon or +6. He is having blood drawn for the GH test to be at Univ. of Minnesota on July 8. Lanky must fast 6 hours prior to sampling which means +12 or AMPS is cutoff time. Lanky usually eats breakfast for +0.5 because he is bound and determined to get every morsel as well as savour every morsel. I'll see what the vet says about insulin and morning breakfast but what do you folks think, recommend? I've read where many of you tow along food, BG meter/strips etc. which I will do as I think that is a great idea & I generally take a current SS for vet to keep. But what about this fasting thing? I could feed a little early & cut everything off after shot. Also, I am getting clarification whether water is permitted.

Thx
    Susan

5. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I don't think that the 12hrs has to be exact. I fasted Shadoe because her tests mentioned lipemia, and she has that value raised in all her bloodwork. I cut her off at midnite then took her in for tests at 8am and she stayed there till the draw and what all was being done.

I always test before we leave for the vet, and also take her meter and strips with us, telling the vet to test her before and after whatever is being done, like dental. For just blood draw, I test before I take her in, wait for her, then test again when we get back home.

For her dental, I left her meter there with her, then when I returned, I had a container of some good foods she would like. She had only a tiny nibble, but I think it is enough to calm her by letting her know I am thinking of her and food is close by.
    For her u/s, I think she was too freaked with the shaved belly and all, so she ate nothing.

I took meter and foods for Ollie when he had his Xrays and he GOBBLED the whole can after.

If you want any sorts of numbers, then be sure to leave your monitor and you will have consistency.

What about moving your shot time back by 15min and then you can stick to the 6hrs, but still be able to feed a bit. You still want to stick to no food before the shots, so feeding before will wreck your number.

6. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA Member

So AMPS is the latest you can feed? You could do like Gayle said or just feed him as soon as you test... if testing is done pretty close to feeding time (like <20 minutes I believe) it won't have time to affect the numbers. I never had the GH testing done so not sure why fasting is necessary, but if that's what U of Minn says then that's what you have to do. I haven't heard of water being restricted for a blood draw. If you're nervous about Lanky going low at the vet's you can always reduce the dose a bit that morning.

Hope things go smoothly and poor Lanky isn't too mortified that his morning routine is all wonky!

7. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

If it looks like the 7u needs upping then we should wait until after vet appointment (rather than the 4 cycles previously mentioned).
    Hoping the next cycle is a good one. :D

8. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Boo has an IGF-1 and GH every three months, and I don't ever fast her (I was never told to). However, it can't hurt and maybe it helps. You can always go to the website and see what it says. It will be very interesting to see the results.

Lanky looks like a good, laid-back boy. Is he?

9. sehjak (Susan & Lanky)

Lanky is very sweet, polite, assumes his position in life without whining or complaining. However, when opportunity knocks, he is the #1 man on the scene if you even see him. He is very smart and has a memory like an elephant. He has had a hard life and we are so happy he joined up with us. He incrementally moved in with us & left the abusive neighbors that obviously did not appreciate him or see his specialness.

One funny story is I tell is that Lanky just used me to get to Dad. I took him under our wing & to the vet, made him a cardboard box with a heating pad in it to sleep in during the winter, rebuffed Dad when he complained about him as our outdoor cat--but in the end it is Dad & Lanky that have the special relationship. Lanky follows Jim around like a dog (that's not an insult to cats, its it?) & the two of them share special guy time together. Actually, it is very cute.

10. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

That's awesome!

I wonder if all acro cats are smarter than most? Boo truly is smart. Lanky is a smart guy. Milo is obviously smart. Pablo looks very smart. Leo and Fletcher...I don't hear many stories about them, but they look like truly nice, kind kitties...hmmmm....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.