6/5/2018 Brownie AMPS 105 ; +1 101; +4 63; +5 88; PMPS 109

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Casey Warner, Jun 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Casey Warner

Casey Warner Member

Brownie is due for her insulin (Lantus). I just started giving it Friday 6/1 and I've been giving 0.5U. She did not eat a big breakfast this morning. She's now eating on her own which is why she didn't have a big breakfast. Should I force feed her and then give her the injection (0.5U)? Or feed her and give her 0.25U? I have the Relion 3/10mL syringes, but there is no .25U marking.

What do I do?

I've attached the most recent spreadsheet as I'm still unable to create a Google account.

Attached Files:

2. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm unable to open your sheet, if she ate some breakfast and you are using a human meter and she hasn't gone below 50 ie hasn't earned a reduction I'd shoot the .5 if you can monitor. .25 are hard to load. Some folks put in a skinny .5 and sone push the plunger in as hard as they can and let it spring back with out drawing out. Gives you a big drop of insulin.

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I can’t open your ss either. @MyTitan she’s doing SLGS so her her reduce number is under 90. As a newbie it’s best to stall, not feed, and see if she’s starting to come up on her own. I can’t advise dosing without seeing your data though.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  4. Casey Warner

Casey Warner Member

I shot the .5U
    +2 101
    +4 63

I just fed a mix of pate and shredded wet food.

I attached a screenshot of my up-to-date spreadsheet. Still working on getting a Google account.

Attached Files:

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Reduction earned. Congrats. Shoot .25 tonight.

6. Casey Warner

Casey Warner Member

I'm still learning and honestly, I'm still confused by certain things. Can anyone explain what is happening with these numbers? I mean, why am I supposed to shoot .25? Am I supposed to do that in the morning too? Is the first week an adjustment period where the amount I shoot will change? I don't understand.

Attached Files:

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Yes, shoot 0.25 units in the morning. It is the new dose, for now. SLGS says to reduce the dose if kitty sees a number under 90, which you did today. We decide what the dose should be based on how low it can take the cat, or the nadirs.

Each cat has differing insulin needs. By testing you are figuring out what Brownie needs. Adding to that, a cat's pancreatic beta cells can heal if they are seeing normal blood sugar numbers. A healing pancreas needs less supplemental insulin.

8. Casey Warner

Casey Warner Member

Ok, thanks, that makes sense. I cannot believe the vet told me to do 2U for two weeks with no testing. I'm not gonna let that go. That blows my mind now that I'm more educated about all this. I know vets make mistakes and cannot possibly know and remember everything. But WOW!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.