? 6/8: Jag: AMPS: 307, +2: 231, +8: 218, Behavior Question

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by chrisb3127, Jun 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrisb3127

chrisb3127 Member

Jag continues to be syringe fed today. (300kcals/day, slowly ramping up to at least 335 for his target intake) Blood ketones came in at 0.2 on the NovaMax this morning, so it looks like for most of the week ketones are now within normal ranges.

I gave him Miralax about 30 minutes ago, 1/8 of a teaspoon. He pooped this afternoon, but it was very small. Continues to urinate every 2 hours or so.

He's now exhibiting a new behavior, which yesterday I didn't think much of it. I have a camera in my kitchen to peek at the cats when I'm not home. So I played it back earlier and he does this:

- Can't seem to sit still. Walks around the whole kitchen, lays down for a very short time (under a minute), gets up, walks all around again. It's like he is either restless, or very uncomfortable.

- This wouldn't be from the Mirtaz, since I stopped that on Monday. (He had no reaction to it all last week when given) He's going to be switched to Entyce tonight per the vet, in an effort to get him eating independently.

- He's been making occasional deep meowing noises. Never heard him make these before.

- This morning, he followed me into the bathroom and stared at the running water in the sink, while making these deep meows. He's never done that before either involving the sink.

The deep meowing sounds concern me, along with how he can't seem to sit still for long. Could this be a symptom of possible constipation too? I'm worried he may be in pain, but I have no idea where he'd be hurting.

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Was his thyroid in the normal range? When did he last go?

I like cyproheptadine as an appy stimulant.

3. chrisb3127

chrisb3127 Member

Thyroid came in at 1.3 back on 4/17/18. Range is 0.8-4.0.

For when he last went, if you meant bathroom, maybe an hour ago but very small.

4. Carol in Chicago

Carol in Chicago Member

It sounds like it could be constipation, but not sure as he has had a lot going on recently. Small stool is a "warning" sign for me with my Rosie who is prone to chronic constipation. Not to be gross, but we have a range of milk duds to raisinettes in my house... Milk duds are a concern and must be watched to confirm improvement, but if there is any sign of raisinettes immediate action is required.

I would suggest a vet visit at least for a quick re-check. The vet can quickly feel his tummy to evaluate constipation. If you are worried about this, and especially if he is constipated, have the vet show you how to feel this yourself. Felineconstipation.org had a good written description of how to feel the abdomen, but I learned more when my vet showed me. My best description is that it felt like a handful of rocks. This situation was resolved with several enemas over a few days. I wish I would have known what to do sooner. :(

Even if you don't go to the vet right away, please watch for any signs it is getting worse - if he is in pain, if he is straining, if he vomits - these would all be signs that suggest you need veterinary assistance sooner rather than later. You want to see a "normal" poop. Until you do, please stay vigilant to note anything small, hard, or dry. These are all important observations and determine what help is needed.

5. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Mirtazapine is known to makes cats talkative - it was dubbed Meowzapine. Perhaps some residual effect since the last dose?

Miralax will soak up a lot of water + him peeing often can make him dehydrated.
    Do you add extra water to his foods?
    Cats have low thirst drive naturally and should not be relied on to drink as much as needed.
    I would increase his water intake - it will help with BW (bowel movm.)

6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

So thyroid is good. Might be constipated. Mirt made one of mine very verbal and agitated. I never used it for another cat. It usually doesn’t last more than three days though. I’ve read that the compounded mirt applies to ears doesn’t have those side effects.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.