+6 BG 33 right ear 270 left ear??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by taffysmom, Sep 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taffysmom

taffysmom Member

I am pretty sure the first 33 reading was a fluke because she has yet to get below 200 and is acting ok...normal everything across the board.
    Will the Reli-on meter do this sometimes?

2. taffysmom

taffysmom Member

OK I just tested her right ear again 30 mins later and it was 274...had to have been a fluke..but sortof freaked me out

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

That happens sometimes. As y did, retest to get consistent BG

4. NancyJac

NancyJac Member

The meters/test strips can get confused if you get blood on both edges of the strip or if first attempt is too little blood and more than a few seconds pass before additional blood is added to the same side of the strip.

5. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

I've had flakey low readings once in a while if there is not enough blood. Re-test as you did -- if you get another low number - that confirms it - if you get a high number (as you did) then you know you can ignore the first one.

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Any time a number is flakey, re-test.

Always make sure your hands are clean before testing, so you don't contaminate the test.

Check batch numbers of test strips for expiration dates and be sure to store them in a low humidity location.

7. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Time for another increase? Reminder of protocol here and summary below... http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1581

8. taffysmom

taffysmom Member

Thank you wendy. I will take a look. our a/c is out tonight and I skipped her before bed test bc she is hot. I have fed her cold wet food and sheis in a cool spot so don't want to mess her. she is extra grumpy hopefully it gets fixed tmrw

9. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

No rush. Read all the stickies first and let us know if you have questions..

10. taffysmom

taffysmom Member

Thank you again for the info. Our ac was out building wide for 2 days. We had company staying with us the whole weekend so I had to move all the cat stuff to the bedroom. I am switching jobs and have been w/o a computer since Friday (I am on my kindle) and couldn't figure out out to update ss quickly over the kindle. And with all the commotion going on didn't want to raise dosage yet although she probably would have been ok. At least no panic attacks this time with strangers in the house
    I did get in contact with vet (who I really like and has been supportive with feeding FF and home testing) and she didn't think I should raise dosage based on the 221 reading I got a few days ago on a amps. But she has been low mid 300s ever since so I am comfortable bumping up. 25
    I have learned that taffy doesn't care where she is when she is getting tested as long as she is eating. Downside is if I want to test her I need at least 1/4 can of food to get her thru it or I get a bite or scratched. She has to have the distraction. So I will give 5.75 units in the morning and see what we get. Her 5 Ps are all good and normal with the exception of peeing. She is down to going 3 times a day (and has been for a few weeks now) but some days the clumps are grapefruit size vs orange size. Not sure if amount should be considered or just the frequency.
    Hoping to get everything updated tmrw night after work and will switch boards. May start off on relaxed board first
    (I will still be working from home. New company shipping laptop which should be here in the morning)
    Thanks!

11. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Whatever you have to do to in order to test her! Maybe food time becomes test time.

Will be good to see an increase. Her numbers are still way higher than I would like to see them (50-130 or at least anything below 200!!).

Wendy

12. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

The size of the pee patches should be taken into consideration also. Bigger pee patches = not yet regulated.

Wow, you sure do have a lot going on right now!
    1. no A/C
    2. weekend guests
    3. new job!
    4. moved all the cat stuff
    5. no computer since Friday ohmygod_smile

Hope things calm down for you soon Scarlett.

Glad to hear that Taffy was more cooperative with having guests in the house. Cats hate any changes to their routine and don't always accept house guests. Sending calming vines, good luck with the new job vines and will be waiting on updates for the first day at your new job!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.