+6 hour sugar 47

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Likameow, Aug 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Likameow

Likameow Member

I checked Ben's sugar this morning before his AMPS and it was 392. Gave him his 2 U Prozinc. Six hours later, I check him again and he was 47.He is acting fine. I gave him some food and a few hard cat treats. I'm planning to recheck in 20-30". Anything else I should be doing?

2. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Lisa,
    You're doing the right things! Good job! That's a steep dive sweet baby just did...and earned a reduction with that 47!

BIG HUGS!!

3. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Folks, Lisa's first thread from earlier is here:
    viewtopic.php?f=28&t=124291#p1288688
    Ben is on 2 units Prozinc BID; was recently diagnosed with UTI and is on antibiotics.

Gosh, Lisa; you picked the right day to learn to hometest. Good catch!!! :shock:
    Well done for giving food, and you're right to try to get another test in soon just to check that Ben's BG (blood glucose) isn't dropping any further.

Lyresa ('Squeaky and KT') is right. That low number means a dose reduction is in order.
    It could be that the antibiotics are doing their stuff and that the blood glucose is dropping as the infection resolves.
    I'd suggest that you reduce the dose by at least half a unit. And you could consider going to one unit and see how that goes. I'm going to try to get some experienced Prozinc eyes here to help you with dosage.

Eliz

4. Likameow

Likameow Member

Just rechecked it after his higher carb snack and it was 68. So it is coming up nicely. I'm so appreciative of all you here. Without your resources and advice, I would never have felt confident enough to home check. And would have given him 2 units again in a few hours and possibly came home from work to a dead or severely hypo kitty. Ben says "Thank you, Thank you."

5. Elizabeth and Bertie

Hi again, Lisa,

You may find that Ben's blood glucose swings up high temporarily after his having had this low number today. It's called 'rebound' (or 'bouncing').
    When a cat's blood glucose drops too low or too fast (or both) the body can respond to that by releasing glucose (from the liver) into the system to raise the blood glucose level. It can also release counter-regulatory hormones, the purpose of which is to try to keep the blood glucose high. It''s the body's way of trying to keep the kitty safe.
    This may not happen, but I just thought you should know that it's a possibility. If it does happen there's no action to be taken. It's just a matter of waiting for the effect to clear. (That can take anything up to a few days.)

FYI, we recommend that, for kitties that are newly diagnosed (and where there is little blood testing data), no insulin is given if the preshot BG level (blood glucose test immediately prior to the shot) is below 200.

You're having quite a day today, Lisa: Learning to test and dealing with an unexpectedly low number!
    Is there any chance you could get another test to double-check that the blood glucose is still coming up...?

Eliz

6. Likameow

Likameow Member

+10 sugar was 76. So I'm not shooting tonight. Fed him a low carb meal. I have to work a 12 night shift so I recheck him in the AM and go back to his original dose of 1 U.

7. Elizabeth and Bertie

No sign of rebound yet.
    He's holding nicely in normal blood glucose numbers.
    Will be very interesting to see what Ben's BG is in the morning...

Eliz

8. Likameow

Likameow Member

Well here we go.....it was "HI" on my glucometer which is >600. But thanks to this group, I know that it is probably just a rebound and I'm not panicking. I gave him 1 U of Prozinc along with his FF and I'll recheck when I get up. (worked last night) It should be around the +6 mark.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.