+6 is 76. Trying to steer with food.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Susan and Timmy, Mar 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Susan and Timmy

Susan and Timmy Member

Timmy is at 76 at +6, been trying to steer with food. Advice is needed. Next test after eating is in 10 minutes.

2. Susan and Timmy

Susan and Timmy Member

3. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Steering him with a little LC food is exactly right, you did well! How much did he eat? When you check him again please post his numbers. :bighug:

Susan and Timmy likes this.
  4. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

If that's with the human meter, I think 50 is the number to look out for. But I understand the scariness with greens, especially since you had to get Timmy to ER for hypo on 19 Feb. Just be giving like 1T of food and retest 20 mins. Breathe, we are here with you :bighug:

It's also the +6, he's around his nadir

Susan and Timmy and Squalliesmom like this.
  5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Hi Susan,
    Your boy thinks you need some excitement today! That's actually a beautiful green. The "time to intervene with HC food" number is 50 on a human meter. It also happened at an ideal nadir time of +6. I know it's scary but this is the response you want. :)

Susan and Timmy and Squalliesmom like this.
  6. Yong & Maury GA

Looks like he's up to 112, she is retesting in 20 mins.

Squalliesmom and Susan and Timmy like this.
  7. Susan and Timmy

Susan and Timmy Member

I guess he wanted to keep me on my toes. That happened too fast. While this was happening he was running around the house trying to hide. I closed off all rooms, so he sat by the door and kept meowing. Worried me so. He is calmer now. Should I test again or wait until preshot time? Thank you all for just being there. Appreciate you all so much! :)

8. Yong & Maury GA

He may have picked up on your anxiety :bighug:. I think you are ok to wait til his PMPS. We'll see what the others say though :)

9. Susan and Timmy

Susan and Timmy Member

10. Kris & Teasel

I see you gave a fat 1.25 u today and yesterday AM. Are you planning to try 1.5 u again?

11. Susan and Timmy

Susan and Timmy Member

Thank you for checking on us. :) Yes, it looks like he needs 1.5 morning and night. My thinking is that with those reds he is bouncing from the greens and I didn't want to up both of the doses if he was going to clear the bounce. When I am waiting for a bounce to clear, do I hold the dose constant or dose on a sliding scale? The sliding scale seems like a good tool, although for now I think it has muddied his picture.

12. Kris & Teasel

Hold the dose while waiting for a bounce to clear. Sliding scale is useful at times but it does complicate things when there's bouncing.

13. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Those nice greens are exactly what you should be aiming for.

14. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Vetsulin usually peeks at +5-6....you were fine.... And really didn't need to steer anything. You landed just where you want to be, esp since you still had a cushion. I always aimed for 85 for nadir (on alphatrak) so that would be like 70ish on a human meter.

15. Susan and Timmy

Susan and Timmy Member

Timmy is bouncing...I'm pretty sure...I think. ;) I'm thinking that part of that is those green numbers, and the other part is not dosing him enough at the pm shot. I'm going to move his shot time over the next few days so that he would hit nadir around midnight. That way I will be able to dose him what he needs at night, while keeping an eye on him, and still be able to get enough rest myself. Zombie doesn't look good on a 44 yo. Just sayin. I do tend to freak out when he goes green and then I mess with the dosing after it. I'm just afraid I wont be able to steer his numbers up with food.

I will keep the 1.5 units morning and night for the next three days and see where he lands. His amps was horrible today.

He has also boycotted his BFF food that he loved, so we are on to FF...for now. That new food list came out just at the right time for Timmy's boycott. Just when I start to get a rhythm with the food and the dose, everything changes.

16. Kris & Teasel

Yes, he's bouncing. Good idea to hold the 1.5 u for a bit. If there's no movement downward at the end of that period a tweak up in dose might be needed. Some kitties get "stuck" when they're in high numbers for several cycles and need a little nudge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.