69 BG *WORRIED NEWBIE!!*

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by kldanzi, Aug 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kldanzi

kldanzi Member

Hi, I have been charting my cat's BG for a few hours now, I just purchased a meter and started testing at home. I was about to fall asleep and decided to check one more time and got a BG of 69!! I'm completely panicking.... Is there something I should do right now or will he be okay??

2. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

69 isn't cause for immediate concern, but it does depend where you are in the cycle.

How long since the last shot of insulin, type of insulin (Lantus, prozinc, etc), and how much is the doseage?

Also, is your kitty eating okay?

3. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

I just looked at your spreadsheet. Has it been 8 hours since the shot? If that is correct, you should be fine. I suggest giving your kitty a snack - to put your mind at ease, and then go to bed and get some rest.

4. kldanzi

kldanzi Member

He has already eaten twice since his shot at 7:30.... two full cans of Friskies meaty bits. I just want to know that he'll be fine if I go to bed right now considering that it is waaaaay past my bedtime!! I just started home-testing which might explain the freak-out but he's gone from off the charts high to 69 in 6 hours. The insulin is Lantus.

5. kldanzi

kldanzi Member

He eats like he thinks he is actually a little furry piggy. Should I feed him again?

6. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

I wouldn't give him an entire can - but a couple of tablespoons if he is still hungry. The 69 is a normal number and it should be safe to go to sleep this late in the cycle.

That is a huge dose of insulin and a very steep drop. Tomorrow, you might want to re-think the dose.

Good for you for learning how to test!

Get some rest, and do come back tomorrow and introduce yourself and kitty. There are many Lantus users on the board.

Best,
    Pam & Layla

7. jan and Hep and sara (GA)

jan and Hep and sara (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Kldanzi,

Could you remove the 911 icon from your post in Lantus now that you've got some replies. That way people over there won't think your still in need of help.

Welcome to FD. :smile:

jan and sara

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.