6mm insulin length ok?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Deb14, Jan 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deb14

Deb14 Member

hello all. oops quick question forgot to ask. ive read there is a new insulin length of 6mm i am thinking this is better . janyone else using it ?? checking before i order. thank and take care deb

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I have a box of them that I got free with a coupon but have not tired them yet. Most caretakers here seem to like the 8 mm (5/16 inch) but some like the 12.7 mm (1/2 inch). Because of the fur on cats I would first purchase the 8 mm ones and see if yo like those. Then you can better judge if you would like the 6 mm ones.

3. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I have tried the 6mm and found them more likely to cause a fur shot especially if kitty twitches or moves at all while you're shooting. Kitties have a fairly thick hide so it can be harder to get into the "tent" rather than between skin layers with the shorter needle. Most vets recommend 1/2 inch (12.7mm) but most folks use the 5/16 inch (8mm). You wouldn't think 2 mm would make much difference but I found it did and I've seen other posts echoing my experience.

4. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

I use the 6mm needles and for me I prefer them. Tuxie still has shaved bald spots from his ultrasound a year ago so I can see the skin very easily. Since Tuxie's skin is thinner and more fragile I try not to pull it too much to tent it. I barely have to tent the skin and (anti-jinx) I have not had a fur shot in the 5 months I have been using them. If I cannot get the 6mm then I purchase the 8mm. I find the 1/2" too long and again, for me, I am more likely to do a furshot with the long needles.

5. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Mary Ann, that is good to know. I find it hard to tent Menace's skin (she seems to have a very thick hide) and with her black fur, I find the 6mm too short. Perhaps if I had some areas with less fur they would work for me too! I guess this is basically a trial and error proposition!

6. Tuxedo Mom

Because Tuxie's skin is prone to be more fragile I try to do as little tenting as possible. I actually find that when I do a "teeny" tent the needle seems to go in easier than back when I was doing the "full" tent, so the 6mm works fine for me. Of sourse ECID so as you say it is trial and error. :)

7. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

This caught my eye, Mary Ann. I'd be grateful if you could let me know the diagnostics that your vets used to confirm it in Tuxie.

Mogs

8. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxie was (and is) difficult to regulate and totally unpredictable with his insulin responses. I had the acro and antibody tests done which came back definitely negative. I had a fPLI test done which came back at 50 which is the highest reading they can get. Tuxie really had no signs of pancreatitis even with his numbers through the roof. He has had 2 episodes where he was not eating for 1 day (which is HUGE for him) and showed signs of nausea. One shot of cerenia , some subq and some pepcid for 1 day was all he needed to kickstart his eating.

My vet wanted to give steroids for the pancreatitis, but I was concerned about the possibility of Cushing's so I did some further testing.I had an UltraSound done January 2015 which shows one adrenal enlarged (only one visualized), liver slightly enlarged, pancreas enlarged. The vet (different clinic) who did the U/S gave a subjective opinion of PDH (pituitary based) Cushing's. I had a UCCR (urine creatinine ration test) which was borderline. Unfortunately the labs don't have proper reference ranges for cats, only for dogs, since Cushing's is considered so rare in cats. Because only one adrenal was visualized I had the high dose oral dex UCCR done which showed it is definitely not adrenal based. I had another U/S done last fall with the original vet who did the first one and it showed both adrenals enlarged, pancreas and liver enlarged. As well the hair had not grown back from original U/S and the skin appeared thin.

The U/S vet said that from his experience with doing U/S s with Cushing's animals that he stood by his original opinion. I had a LDDS (low dose dex suppression test) done which again was borderline , most likely because it is early stage. Plus the assortment of other symptoms..low T4, but not quite hyppothyroid, no hair regrowth, symmetrical hair loss, impossible to regulate his glucose etc. My own vet originally poo-hooed the idea of Cushing's...now she no longer questions it. I have not started any treatments such as trilostane since it comes with a whole new set of problems. I have been in contact with 3 people from this forum who had diagnosed Cushing's cats and the prognosis is not good. Once the skin starts to tear there is very little that can be done, even though all 3 had tried the trilostane. I decided not to bother with the ACTH stimulation test since that involves 8 hours at the clinic which would stress Tuxie out to no end. The other tests are good enough for me.

EDITED TO ADD: My vet never suggested any of the extra testing I had done for IAA, Acro or Cushing's..it was me who suggested them all.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    Reason for edit: Extra info
  9. Deb14

Deb14 Member

thank you so much... im new to this site.. and thought i would receive an email , but i guess i have to go in to see the replies. i decided to conti nue using what im used to.

10. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

@Deb14 - I usually use the 8mm's but someone shared some 6mm's with me. They work just fine altho' I sometimes feel like I did a furshot because I'm used to the longer ones. Smelling/feeling lets me know it was or wasn't.

11. Deb14

Deb14 Member

i do have a question quite worried. my cat patchy has been on lantus 2 units since june 2015. Was taking steroids for her ibd/possible sm cell lymphoma , a bit hard to regulate i have learned and succeeded Yeah!! She's been doing great as i have tapered her dose down to 7/8 of a unit ( a tad less than 1 unit) of Lantus. I have also been tapering her off the steroids as she seems better she is down to 2.5 mg every 5 days. Just a week ago she required more insulin. Frustrating as she has perfect numbers. She cannot go 12 hrs between doses. I found out this week with a reading of 181 when she's usually 77-80 after 12 hrs. she went to the vet for blood panel, urinalysis etc. Many disease taht can cause a rise in bs. Very worried. the insulin is nice and clear . i did drop it a few weeks ago, but no breakage and its quite clear no floaties . Today her bs at 6hr is 73 (it was 149 at 8am) mind you that it was only 10 hrs since her last injection of 11pm last night. I did increase her dose a tad to 1 1/6 of a unit. Will have to go up to maybe 1 1/4 now. something just isnt right. Vet just called all labs fine except the thyroid... seemed good, but vet said it was towards the high end of the good range to be sure she's having a hyperthyroidism tested to be sure. hoping and praying they find something (nothing bad)cause moms intuition is usually right. next ultrasound. any suggestions.. would love to hear.. so concerned about my baby. thanks for reading such a long post. ;-) everyen her is so supportive

12. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Deb, how about making a new post in 'Feline Health' forum asking this question. Right now it's an old thread with a title that doesn't let people know you have new questions. Let's get lots of input for you, OK?

13. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

I have a bit of experience with Lantus and steroids! Bandit was diagnosed with myelofibrosis this past spring, and he had to be on prednisolone and cyclosporine for some time. We were able to slowly wean him off of both, but 12 weeks after he stopped the cyclosporine he became anemic again so he's now back on the cyclosporine. Fortunately, it looks like steroids aren't needed again as long as the cyclosporine keeps his hematocrit up in the normal range.

Steroids can cause very wonky numbers, but the more you taper her off the steroids, the lower her dose should become. You can check out Bandit's spreadsheet for an idea on how his dose went down as we tapered him off the steroids.

Unfortuantely, it's hard to give any specific dosing advice without seeing all of your numbers. Lantus dosing is based on the daily nadir, or the lowest number of each cycle. Do you think you could start a spreadsheet like Bandit's so we can see what her numbers look like? There's instructions on how to do that here, and if you get confused or have any questions, we can help you out!

Also, how old is your insulin? Some people can get 6 months of life out of Lantus, but the most I ever got out of mine was 2-3 months.

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.