7/04 Rocky AMPS 302 +8 =348 should I increase?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Paula and Rocky, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Paula and Rocky

Paula and Rocky Member

Hi, This is only the 2nd full day for Rocky on Lantus and I was wondering if I am just being impatient or if I should increase his PM dose tonight? He has not been hitting those blue numbers at all lately and I'm a bit concerned. Any thoughts?

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

It takes 5-7 days for the Lantus depot to build Yes, you are being impatient. :p That's very common here. The depot will help you learn patience. :)

And since you are feeding dry food, that means you are following SLGS for dosing and you hold the dose for 7 days. Over that time, the numbers should start to improve as the depot builds.

3. Paula and Rocky

Paula and Rocky Member

Thank you ! thank you!! That's great news ! I will be removing the dry once it is gone, he is not dropping weight like he was before and is getting used to more regulated feedings unlike the free for all he was used to while feeding him that Hill's prescription WD for so many years. I have so much guilt having fed them that for so long, and a lot of anger towards my vet. I think I would like to follow the TR protocol at that point but not sure how I could test for the ketones with the other 2 kitties in the house. I will be patient and enjoy a glass of wine! :smuggrin:

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

A glass of wine is an excellent idea! And yes, once the dry is gone you can switch to TR, which would still have you hold the initial dose 5 days anyway.

You can buy blood ketones meters, if you are worried about ketones. Neko wasn't very shy, and rather predictable about her LB habits. I just followed her into the litter box room, ketostix in hand.

Sonia & Leo likes this.