7/13/10 Mickey dosage advise

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Peggy and Mickey (GA), Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

Peggy and Mickey (GA) Well-Known Member

His Pmps was 272 should I give him 1.5 units??? this is pretty low if you look at the spread sheet??

2. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

I shot 1.0 unit

3. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Peggy, sorry not to visit sooner to help you out. I'm too tired to study any #s and give specific advice, but in general principles you usually don't have to reduce the dose if it's over your no shoot (are you using 200?). As you get PSs closer to 200 you get some data to be sure that dose is ok, and then gradually lower your no shoot to 150. A lot of times people do reduce the dose like you did, nothing wrong with that, then you just get more data and see how it goes. If you find (like I did with Bix whenever I lowered the dose for a lower PS) that they go high after that and you lose ground, then it gives you the info you need to feel confident shooting a full dose on a lower PS.

Hope that helps, and hope tonight goes well!!!! :)

4. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

Peggy, I'm sorry I didn't catch your post last night. It was fine to continue the 1.0u like you did. If you want to increase Mickey's dose, I would strongly advise that you raise it by no more than 0.25u at a time, especially since we have very little mid cycle data to guide us. It looks like the insulin is starting to bring his ps#s down, but like Joanna said, you don't need to decrease your dose unless the # is below your no shoot #.

I'm a little confused...on your ss, the 272 and the plan to increase to 1.5u is on 7/12, is that right?

5. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

My vet told me to increase the dose to 1.5 but when I saw the 272 it startled me. I gave 1.0 and did not have a chance to change the ss last evening. I have to order 100u syringes before I do any increases.
    I am off today and will get some plus numbers. I am very interested to see how he is really doing. I will start at noon.

6. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

I know, the vets often advise big increases. My vet wanted me to go from 2.0u to 3.0u twice a day. I refused to do it. I would not increase by 50% at a time, that's what your vet is advising. I disagree with doing that, it's risky.

7. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

I know because my vet did the same thing. Increased by 1 unit BID each time we visited. The last increase was a 2 unit jump from 6 to 8u BID. Hence the reason why I did some researching and came across this message board. Blackie did hypo, and that's when I decreased the insulin to only 1u BID, and started low, and am increasing very slowly. No more 8u BID (hopefully) for my baby.

8. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh I see, I thought you were at 1.5 and lowered to 1u, oops!!! That makes sense to stay at the dose then if you are uncomfortable with the PS, and gather data. If it were me, I would go ahead and raise to 1.5 at this point. The #s are high enough I don't think there's much risk in going to that. I definitely agree 1u is too much to raise by all at once, but I'm comfortable with anything from 0.2 to 0.5 for raises when the #s are high like this. If you were seeing blue #s I'd raise by only 0.2u, but at these levels a 0.5 raise (or 0.4 I guess makes more sense syringe-wise) would be my next move.

I'm on a kick of being a little more aggessive with doses after reading Steve's recent thread on TT, about starting to feel more like Dr. Hodgkins. Sometimes I drift more conservative, but his post was a reminder to me that there are some good reasons to be more aggressive with dosing, and risks to not doing so. Somehow I have kind-of a comfort level with yellow & pink #s, I think b/c Bix was never all that symptomatic, but really I think my comfort level is misplaced. The colors are pretty, but really they are damaging their pancreases more to sit in those #s, and risking other complications.

Guess I'm still on today's soapbox afterall, LOL!!! What's with me?!? :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.