7/14 Jackson amps 123

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Margie and Jackson, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Margie and Jackson

Margie and Jackson Member

Even with a reduction, I’m too nervous to shoot the full amount with this number. I’m going to shoot 2. Can I call him No Bounce Jackson?

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  2. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

He didn't seem like bouncing this morning! :)

Margie and Jackson likes this.
  3. Osha

Osha Well-Known Member

You had a busy night last night! I hope you can get some rest today. Jackson, be good today!

4. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Here is yesterday's post for continuity and so others can easily see the history.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-basaglar-glargine-and-levemir-detemir.9/

A couple of things to consider:

His numbers actually didn't go down from 110 (although your SS says 115 at +3.5) to +5 104. With 20% meter variance, there is no difference between the numbers, he basically stayed the same.

If you fed at certain times after you tested, it would be good to reflect what carbs you fed in your SS so you can see what worked or what didn't work and for future reference when you get down to lower numbers again.

While you chose to only shoot 2u, he still has a good amount of depot, which could continue to affect this next cycle, I'm glad to see you continued to test at +3.

5. Margie and Jackson

Margie and Jackson Member

Thanks for the feedback. I fed him his regular food, which has 4 percent carbs.
    I didn’t really want to resort to a higher carb food. I wasn’t sure, but it seems that he wasn’t into dangerous numbers really. I didn’t really need to get him to raise his bg level, I just didn’t want it to fall much lower. That was my thinking. Mainly I was making sure that he wasn’t falling, and that I didn’t need to break out any other food.
    Do you agree that 75 isn’t really dangerous, just worth watching? That said, I’m not sure what number would justify feeding mc or hc food.
    I feel quite pleased that he didn’t spike this morning. Usually unusually low numbers will cause a spike. Am I right to think that’s a good sign?

Also, I think I’ll be buying some seriously higher carb food. All I have now is some kibble and some wet purina DM, which is about 6 percent.

6. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Excellent, that seems to have worked out well. No, medium or high carb was not required for 75, he was still very safe. But it was early enough that extra monitoring was required, which you did very nicely. I have a nice collection of various carbs in my pantry :D, it might be good to get some canned food that is higher than 6% in case you need it.

What you are asking really is an every cat is different (ECID) thing, mixed with a bit of "it depends". For Mav I have a good sense of how carb sensitive he is, and really understand his cycles (onset, nadir, duration) since I've collected a lot of data over the last two years, so I find if I see him drop too quickly early in the cycle, I can feed some higher LC to help flatten him out. That said, he does surprise me now and again, just to keep things interesting.

Take action is under 50 (68 on AT2) with medium or high carb, sometimes syrup if it warrants, though we are all a bit different since each of our cats are individual in their responses to insulin and carbs, and our action often depends on how well we know our cat with data we have gathered. As an example, I have never had to use syrup, but certainly that is the quickest method to get numbers up immediately if they are dangerously low, and your cat is exhibiting symptoms of hypo. The problem with syrup is it wears off quickly. Some members prefer to give a little drop of syrup in with MC food, it seems to work for them, but I've never needed it since Mav responds well to just MC food.

I like that Jackson had a nice AMPS, some kitties can do a delayed bounce, so don't be too disappointed if he decides to take it easy tonight ;). Hope he stays of the trampoline and keeps up with these better numbers.