7/16 Harley AMSP 377, PMPS 186 What do I do?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Rob & Harley (GA), Jul 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

Yesterdays News
    viewtopic.php?f=24&t=19856

Thanks Joanna for your reply last night. I turned in early.

His #'s were coming down and now this? 377? What the heck?

2. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 7/16 Harley AMSP 377

The kitties like to be unpredictable!!! :D There are so many factors it's often hard to explain any one #. Most likely, this dose isn't turning out to be enough insulin, would be my first guess.

3. Rob & Harley (GA)

Re: 7/16 Harley AMSP 377

Thanks, I'm going to up it to 1.4u tomorrow when I'll be home to test him.

4. Rob & Harley (GA)

Harley is keeping me on my toes. What do I do with a 186? Feed and wait for a shootable #? Reduce the dose? I'm going to go back and re-read the post the last time he did this.

Thanks,

5. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

Can you test at +1 to see if he is still dropping or rising a little bit? Without a mid cycle test today we can't tell if Harley is still on his way down, or is coming back up. Just keep a good watch on him, test every hour until you are sure things are ok, and have a higher carb food handy just in case!

6. Rob & Harley (GA)

I waited 30 minutes and tested again and got 244, I tested myself and got 97 so the meter seems ok. I went ahead and shot the 1.2 and I'll keep a close eye on him tonight. Good thing we're going into a weekend.

I'm liking these lower numbers.

Thanks,
    Robin

7. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice, and great job on dealing with the unexpected!!!

Just for future reference, the no-shoot, especially when it's higher than 150, isn't a hard and fast #. One thing you can do is retest in about 15 minutes, and if the # is rising, even if it's still a little below your no-shoot, go ahead and give the shot.

Since you did retest & got a much higher # & now know that he's a little zoomer (at least for the moment), next time I would probably just go ahead and shoot on the lower PS, as long as it's above say 175 or something. That way you get data to see what works, and you gradually lower your no-shoot to 150. Generally with PZI the agreed on no-shoot seems to be 150, the no-shoots higher than that, like 180 & 200, are so you can ease into it and collect some data to know what dose is safe at a 150.

Alternately you can shoot on #s below your no-shoot (but not recommended to shoot below 150), and either monitor to be sure it wasn't too much insulin, or lower the dose maybe 0.2u and try to get some data on that. Many cats still need the full dose on lower PSs - if you are home to monitor and deal with possible unexpected lows, there's nothing wrong with sticking with the full dose. But if you can't monitor, I'd tend to play it safe and lower the dose a little, or wait a bit for a higher # like you did.

Really nice # in any case, looks like a possible breakthrough! This next cycle could be slightly off because of the late shot - maybe not since it's not that much later, but if you see a higher PS in the morning don't get discouraged. Hopefully you will see another PS like this one in another cycle or two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.