7/17 Oral Cancer?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JoyBee&Ravan, Jul 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

Has anyone had any positive results giving Chemo or steroids for oral cancer?
    My Kitty Peggy Sue was just diagnosed with oral cancer. I've read extensively about it & It doesn't sound like there is anything that will stop it but I thought maybe something would slow the growth of the tumor?

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  3. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Tagging Carla @carfurby. Her civvie had oral cancer and she treated it holistically. Not a cure but to help out as long as she could.

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  4. JoyBee&Ravan

That's the one.
    I don't expect a cure.My Peggy Sue is 17 yrs old. I wouldn't put her thru surgery. I was wondering if Steroids would shrink the tumor & maybe give her a bit more time with me?

5. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

it's a stretch, but there have been reports in humans that taking turmeric can assist in shrinking tumors, or stopping them from spreading

I'm a cancer survivor, I take it .. if only because it has anti-inflammatory action
    I also share part of the capsule with Catcat, to help him recover from abscessed cat acne, and dental procedure which involved 4 extractions

he doesn't seem to taste it, I add it to his main meals at shot time, along with extra virgin olive oil and black pepper (supposed to potentiate the action)

can't hurt .. at a reasonable dose

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  6. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

My civvie Simba had squamous cell carcinoma. The vet said there was nothing they could do. I don't know about steroids. The homeopathic vet I used just gave me stuff to keep her comfortable. Here is the link to their web site. http://www.charlesloopsdvm.com/ It's expensive.

I'm so sorry Joy. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

I read that turmeric could help, but couldn't get Simba to eat any of the paste I made.

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  7. JoyBee&Ravan

I have been giving her a pinch of Turmeric and CBD OIL in some baby food with a syringe. The problem is none of my cats will touch their food if I add anything to it.
    Peggy Sue ate a large amount of her raw chicken when we got back from the vet last night. but she will not eat anything today & she will not let me give her anything with the syringe. She's been sleeping all day.
    I'm wondering if the steroids might make her feel better so she'll eat.

As I'm typing this she came & asked for food. She only ate about a tablespoon of chicken but at least she did eat. I let her outside & she surprised me by batting her squeaky mousie around a few times.

I'm still wondering if I should ask the vet for steroids?

Candy, how much Turmeric are you giving?

8. CandyH & Catcat

let's see -- capsule is 500 mg -- I take the capsule apart, sprinkle just less than 1/4 of it into the dish (basically it's what is in the removed-end of the capsule plus a sprinkle from the intact portion), which usually already has the olive oil puddled at the bottom, then sprinkle "some" pepper on top, then add the LC food and water enough to make a slurry -- do this twice a day, put the capsule back together and take it myself (dosage on bottle is 2 capsules/day for humans)

so he gets about 100 mg twice a day, licks up all the "gravy" (water, oil, juice from can food, herbs) -- so it must taste ok to him

never measured how much, precisely -- not sure of the dosage for cats, but it did seem to help clear up the oozing from the chin -- dosage is internal in the food, never tried using it externally

9. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I would talk to the vet about the steroids. As long as they would do no harm, I’d give them a try.

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  10. JoyBee&Ravan

I wish my cats would eat like that! They are very picky. If I ad pinch of anything they smell it & walk away.

11. CandyH & Catcat

I AM fortunate, Catcat will eat anything if it smells okay -- even some chicken which he really shouldn't have, dog got into garbage several weeks back, chewed open a plastic container of discarded food -- thank goodness cats can vomit (normally I wouldn't say this, but ... )

12. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

13. nslade001

nslade001 Well-Known Member

Hi Joybee, I'm so sorry about Peggy Sue.:bighug:

We had one kitty with oral cancer when I worked at the vet, it is a horrible disease and very painful :( Please insist on her getting strong pain meds from your vet. As long as she is eating... Wonderful! (But don't stop or decrease pain meds because of it) She will possibly have periods where she requires some assisted feeding, then may go back to eating a bit, and repeat. Syringe feeding may be painful because of the cancer. If her bone is too degraded, it can break her jaw.It will reach a point where she is absolutely unable to eat on her own, if it proceeds that far.
    I am so sorry.

All I can offer is, pain meds, even if she is eating on her own. The more comfortably she can eat on her own, the less likelihood of causing any damage/pain/avoidance from assisted feeding, the better her quality of life.

Also, if you're not already, try puréeing her food with water and a hand blender into a slurry.

I would see about transdermal, because manipulating her mouth to syringe or rub bupe into her cheek and gums may be painful, and I know she doesn't like food additives.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:
    With love, Nikki

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.