? 7/18 Luna - Increase & Decrease - AMPS 338, +3 102, +5 41, +5.5 75, +6 62, +6.5 76, +8 70, PMPS 153

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by For_Luna, Jul 18, 2019.

1. For_Luna

For_Luna Member

Yesterday
    Despite all of my threats of an increase, Luna held her ground and wouldn't drop back down. We're back up to 1.25u today. If the last 3 attempts at this dose are any indication, we should be seeing 50s by tomorrow or Saturday.

Unless someone with more experience has another idea, I think we're going to hold at this dose until we get 3 days under 50 or a week of good numbers. Luna keeps rejecting the dose decreases.

2. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

@J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

I tagged because I believe she had a similar issue & did a 1.13 dose vs the 1.25 & that worked well for her.

For_Luna likes this.
  3. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Good luck with doscrease

4. For_Luna

For_Luna Member

Thanks. How do you even do 1.13? We use a magnifying glass lamp to get the .25 and I feel like that's not super accurate

5. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

I've been using a craft lamp which is the magnifying lamp with lights! I agree. I think most use calipers to get that dose, but I'm not sure if she did or not. Hopefully she will let us know.

I know for .1 I've seen thread talk about a slight rotation of the plunger to get the one drop. So, how many drops from .25 to .13?

The one issue I have is I can look at the syringe with the lines in front of me & it looks like the plunger is where it needs to be for the dose, but then if rotate the syringe so I'm eyeballing it from the side, its often not where it needs to be.

For_Luna likes this.
  6. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

7. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

J.J. and Phoebe Squeak Well-Known Member

Hi, I think I may not be the person you are thinking of -- P.S. was on a dose of 2U and for 1 shot I gave 1.9 after stalling because her AMPS was low, but we went right back up to 2U for the next shot.
    I use calipers and a magnifying glass that has a little circle of 11x in the center and it lights up. I was told to ignore markings on syringes because they are not consistent. Wish you & adorable Luna the best!

8. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

OOOPS :p! Should have double checked! Sorry!

Dan it was actually AmandaE & Mowgali!! I just checked her SS to be sure!

@AmandaE

For_Luna and AmandaE like this.
  9. For_Luna

For_Luna Member

10. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

Digital calipers will set you right up for a teeny-tiny increase. You just do the math once, set the calipers and lock them into place -- that's it. We just kept the calipers (locked and set) near the syringes and then held them up to the light to make sure we were good to go.

The calipers did move on me one day when I stored them upside-down in Perry's basket of supplies that I keep on the counter, and I noticed that the calipers were just below my usual line on the syringe. But stored flat, they stayed put when locked.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  11. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Right?! I haven't done it, so if you are interested, I'm sure others will be happy to share their experiences with you.

12. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

I know, I know, but I really think it looks more complicated than it really is. And it's just the first time you set them.

Good luck today, Dan!

For_Luna likes this.
  13. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

So you set yours set for the .13 or .25?

14. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

We were using them for .25 increases, but Perry is at a whole unit now, so we are using the pen as the injector again at the moment. But with digital calipers, you just dial in your number and set them.

15. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

Dan,

I eyeballed the 1.13u which like JJ implied is not fully accurate because of syringe line inconsistencies, but as I don't have calipers yet it was the best I could do, 1u was just not enough for Mowgli. A few of us around here are just about to take a leap and try calipers so if you're interested it might be a good time to learn!

What I did was basically push the plunger so that it was resting just below the 1u line. I think that you're completely right that 1.25 is too much and 1 is not enough... why not try giving a "fat" 1u by resting the plunger at the bottom of the 1u marker on the syringe (I drew you an explanation pic below - obviously not to scale ;)). It's less than 1.25 but slightly more than 1u so it may be just the amount you need.

I got many more green numbers with this dose, I'm back to 1u now so if we have more success with that dose, I feel like I can thank the intermediate 1.13u.

Make sense?

upload_2019-7-18_8-28-55.png

Tomlin likes this.
  16. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

THANK YOU AMANDA:). I like what she is doing.

I looked into the calipers after seeing them, but after doing some reading about calipers & physics & seeing that group of professionals debate over accuracy of calipers, including digital vs dial, companies who make them, yada, yada, yada, I decided not to entertain it further. Everyone has different preferences & what works for them, so I think do what works for you :cool:

17. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

SO true!

AmandaE likes this.
  18. For_Luna

For_Luna Member

Thanks for the pic, that helps a bunch. We might try that. Going to see how today goes. About to get a +3

AmandaE likes this.
  19. For_Luna

For_Luna Member

And we're off. +3 102
    Today might get interesting

Tomlin and AmandaE like this.
  20. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

It looks like Luna likes the new dose.

21. For_Luna

For_Luna Member

Yeah, a little too much. That's a big drop in 3 hours and Luna likes to bounce. I think we need to try the 1.13u dose next time we decrease, which by the way it looks, will be in the near future.

Tomlin and AmandaE like this.
  22. For_Luna

For_Luna Member

And we're done with 1.25....
    Just fed HC with a drop of Karo. Going to test again at 2:30

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  23. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

Oh dear! Just saw Luna's +5. So glad you caught it! Are you feeding her?
    EDIT: We posted at the same time. I hope she comes up easily for you.

24. For_Luna

For_Luna Member

I got her, just going to be a long day. She usually drops until around +8 or +9. Going to test again in 10 minutes. She seems ok right now

AmandaE likes this.
  25. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

So glad you are with her. Phoebe Squeak & I are pulling for you. Come on, Luna -- rise up!

Sonia & Leo, AmandaE and For_Luna like this.
  26. AmandaE

This is a very similar to how Mowgli dropped last night, it looks like Luna has a fairly consistent nadir at +5 / +6 so hopefully the combination of the HC / Karo combined with Luna's natural cycle will bring her up at +5.5 :)

27. For_Luna

For_Luna Member

+5.5 75
    We're up a little bit but the fun isn't over yet. I'll test again at +6. Luna is already mad at me

28. AmandaE

Good idea! You definitely want 2 hrs of increasing BG levels before you declare that you're in the safe zone! Nice catch and quick thinking Dan :)

I think you could change the 911 to a ? now so that ppl still have their eyes on you, but know it isn't as pressing as it was earlier :)

Sonia & Leo and For_Luna like this.
  29. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Sending you rising BG thoughts Dan!!

AmandaE and For_Luna like this.
  30. For_Luna

For_Luna Member

Does anyone notice darker blood at lower numbers? The test at 41 came out almost black looking (turned red when it spread out on the strip).

31. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

How odd! I've never noticed that.

32. For_Luna

For_Luna Member

+6 62
    Dropped back down a little. Gave a small HC snack. Testing again in 30 minutes

AmandaE likes this.
  33. For_Luna

For_Luna Member

While Luna has everyone's attention; what do we do for tonight's dose? 1u or try the 1.13u mentioned above? After today's events, I would feel better with 1u, but Luna has rejected a reduction to 1u twice already.

34. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

I'm a newbie, but from what I've been told, 75 and 62 are so close that there is probably no real difference. Sometimes you retest right away and get 2 different numbers. That said, I'd still keep testing.

35. For_Luna

For_Luna Member

Yeah, I'm still testing. The last couple of times she's gone this low, she didn't come back up until around +8 or +9

36. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

I hope someone with more experience will chime in, but if you feel better about 1 unit, I'd do it and give it a few cycles and if you need to increase again, go to 1.13 instead of 1.25.

37. For_Luna

For_Luna Member

That's kind of what I'm thinking too

AmandaE likes this.
  38. AmandaE

I haven't noticed that! totally peculiar!
    I think that is most appropriate too, Luna definitely earned her reduction so I think it's better to try the ~1.13u for an increase, I think it would be safer :)

For_Luna likes this.
  39. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

I'm also newer, but I would definitely go with the 1U. I always keep safety as my #1 priority & that extends beyond BG & includes sleep in this process (for me & T).

40. For_Luna

For_Luna Member

+8 70
    2 hours without food and she held at 70. Gave the regular 5:00 LC meal, so should be good now. Thanks to everyone that checked in. Stay tuned for tonight's fun...or enormous bounce.

41. For_Luna

For_Luna Member

PMPS 153
    Back to 1u after an increase to 1.25 this morning. Hoping for an uneventful night

42. For_Luna

For_Luna Member

+3 335
    Saw this coming. Hopefully we clear this quickly and the 1u works this time

Sonia & Leo likes this.