7.22 Bella amps 160,+3 71,+4 56,+5 60+6 90, pmps 302,+2:30 187

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Bellasmom, Jul 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/posts/2222772/
    Bella’s is all happy
    Gave Abby her food (slippery elm) and Zyrtec(for appetite) and she puked, meds already not agreeing with her and she’s only had 2 doses!:arghh: WHAT DO I DO? I feel completely helpless to save her

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad Bella is doing well.

Sorry about Abby puking. Are you giving methamizole? If so, you can get it compounded into a gel you rub inside the ear. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug:

Bellasmom likes this.
  3. Bellasmom

I’m giving pills, w tried the gel to

4. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Morning Jamie! Sounds like your day is off to a rollicking start...or is that collicky? :woot: Hmmm...whatever...Sorry to hear Abby isn't feeling well...my Abbey is out there chowing down her breakfast...and now off to kill some unsuspecting creature in the backyard...Luci getting a new dose as of yesterday - hoping for some better numbers here. Happy to hear Bella is all happy too...hope he can get to the lagoon on his new decrease...:bighug::bighug:

Bellasmom likes this.
  5. Bellasmom

Thanks,
    Bella is there now, he says Where’s Luci:rolleyes:?? Does she have that yellow rag on:nailbiting:
    Hope she gets to the lagoon

6. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Actually she came downstairs this morning wearing a blue dress - at least that one is better looking than that yellow or pink rag:p I'm hopeful:smuggrin:

7. Bellasmom

Bella is colored blind o_O or maybe bean is lol:confused:

Sue and Luci likes this.
  8. Bellasmom

Or maybe can’t read numbers:confused::confused::confused:

Sue and Luci likes this.
  9. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Nice +3 for Bella :D

10. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

Don't give up on Abby yet. Isn't there a website someone here recommended.
    Did she do better on the Gel. Instead of her ear did you try another spot?

Maybe if you give the SEB 2 hrs before the meds it will settle her stomach? And make sure it's watery not thick. My kitties have vomited when it was too thick.( you can't give it with meds, they may not get absorbed)

So Frustrating!:( :bighug:

11. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Did you give SEB at the same time as the Zyrtec? Did you give the methamizole at the same time also? You need to wait 2 hours after SEB to give other meds.

Thrivingpets.com has oral suspension of the methamizole.

http://www.thrivingpets.com/index.php/methimazole.html

12. Bellasmom

I put the SEB I her food last night she ate then I gave meds, she threw up
    This am I put SEB in her food, waited 1 hr gave Zyrtec then waited another 1 hr and gave thyroid med so far so good

13. Bellasmom

I’m just still so in the state of shock, I can’t think really, been so sad all day, the more I try, cry, worry, not sleep, think nothing changes, being able to do that for her with so much help from friends and strangers and it was for NOTHING:(
    On the other hand..bellas numbers are good today

14. LizzieInTexas

:bighug:

You had no way of knowing.

Do you have Abbys labs? Did they only test the t4 or did they do more BW tests?

Bellasmom likes this.
  15. JoyBee&Ravan

Don't put the SEB in food. It coats the stomach & food & meds will not get absorbed properly.

"Slippery elm contains many nutrients, including carbohydrates, protein, fat, ascorbic acid, beta-carotene, calcium and several trace minerals.It may stay down when other foods are not tolerated. In fact, slippery elm is known as “emergency” food.
    Give a half capsule , opened up and the contents mixed with cold water, when using slippery elm for pets.Give slippery elm apart from meals, supplements and medications by at least an hour, A separate dose at bedtime will allow it to work, undisturbed, to enhance its benefits."

I hope this Helps :)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    Squalliesmom and Bellasmom like this.
  16. Bellasmom

Thank u

17. Bellasmom

Just T4, she had preop full blood work and it was perfect except for T4

18. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I know it is frustrating, but you did what you thought was best at the time. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Bellasmom likes this.
  19. Bellasmom

So give the slippery elm, wait 1 hrs then Zyrtec, wait 1 hrs then thyroid meds?

20. JoyBee&Ravan

Bellasmom likes this.
  21. Bellasmom

The problem is and why I had surgery is because the pills at the dose she needed made her deathly ill, switched to gel and did well till we uped the dose that she needed, sick again

22. JoyBee&Ravan

Maybe try tiny increases with the gel or a bit several times a day instead of only once or twice a day. Maybe her body just needs a longer time to adjust to it?

Did you check out the website?:)

Bellasmom likes this.
  23. Bellasmom

Yes, thank you
    Think I will do 1.25 am and Pm

24. Bellasmom

The gel is like 65.00 and I don’t have it right now, will have to try the pills they gave me(i gave them Abby’s pills when she had surgery, they still had them) until I can get the gel

25. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

26. Susan&Felix(GA)

Susan&Felix(GA) Well-Known Member

Apologies if you've discussed this before and I've missed it, but I was wondering if radioactive iodine was not a treatment option for Abby.

I'm glad Bella is doing his part to ease your mind a bit today. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Bellasmom likes this.
  27. Bellasmom

It wasn’t a option because they wanted it all up front and I didn’t have it, I did a fundraiser for her for the vet, he required a down pay,ent then I could make payments on the rest, trust me I’m sick so sick that I couldn’t afford it, feel sooooooooooooo bad

28. Susan&Felix(GA)

No! You've been doing so much for her. You're a wonderful momma! Sending many vibes and vines that a good solution comes soon to regulate Abby's thyroid.

Bellasmom likes this.
  29. Bellasmom

Thank Susan

30. Bellasmom

Just having a really hard time with this emotionally

31. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Jamie, as far as the thyroid meds go, I know that vomiting right after Forrest would eat was one of the symptoms of the hyper thyroid. I discovered it I give the methimazole in a tiny bit of food ( about 1 tsp ) about 20 minutes before his AM and PM meal and then only give him about 1/2 oz of food at a time, then let him relax, he usually walks around a bit, then he comes back and I put down the other 1/2 of his food. This has kept him from vomiting and me having to give the thyroid med again since he barfed it out. Hope that helps you. Also, giving Abby smaller more frequent meals like you do for Bella is helpful too.

As far as the SEB goes, it needs to be given 2 hours away from meds, either 2 hours before or two hours after.

I give 1/4 tsp of SEB mixed with 1/2 tsp of AVJ mixed into their food twice a day for their guts to help with constipation issues. If giving SEB for nausea then you would want to use the proportions above and let set up a bit to be able to roll it into a ball and then put on the roof of kitties mouth. Do that about 30 mins before you want them to be able to eat.

It does get tricky with the timing of SEB when kitty is on medicines.

Hang in there Sweetie. Try the slow feed approach and see if that helps.

Bellasmom and Susan&Felix(GA) like this.
  32. Susan&Felix(GA)

It was such a bad surprise and your distress is justified. But your self-reproach is not! :bighug:

Bellasmom likes this.
  33. Bellasmom

Thanks Bobbie will try with her dinner tonight, going to go fix the SEB now

34. Bellasmom

SEB done, that was way easier than I thought

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  35. Bellasmom

They want me to give her 2.5mg am and pm, does that sound right?

36. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

I know that my vet wanted me to start Forrest at 2.25 morning and night. Marje said that starting dose is old school and to start him at 1.25 twice a day as to not go over and throw him into hypo thyroid and then to have to back off the meds for a while and start over. I listened to Marje and when I took him back in 3 weeks to check his levels he was perfectly in the middle normal where the vet wanted him. I told him what I did and his response was, "glad you did what you did" It was just this May that his dose went up to 2.5 twice a day as he was at the high end of normal. 3 weeks later he was right back in the middle again.

But all that said, when he was first tested for hyper T his numbers were just at the high end of normal. It sounds like Abby was well out of the normal range. Maybe put a question mark in your title thread and say something like Hyper T advice.

37. Bellasmom

Quick run down
    Bella’s sister hyper t, had problems taking meds, had left thyroid removed June 19th, went for recheck yesterday and it was high and small lump now on right side:(
    He wants to start her back on meds, he said 2.5 am and pm
    I’ve heard from several people that’s high dose, any help would be appreciated

38. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Bellasmom likes this.
  39. LizzieInTexas

40. Bellasmom

41. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Jamie, sending prayers and vines for Abby. Glad Bella is doing well. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.