7/4/18; Miss LunaMae; AMPS 139

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by MissLuna, Jul 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MissLuna

MissLuna Member

First, a big shout out to the moderator, Jill & Alex (GA) who posted the "Start Low, Go Slow" sticky. I refer to it often! LunaMae was quite ill with a kidney infection, and is a newly diagnosed diabetic (just over 2 weeks) and
    it was touch and go at the beginning.
    She is doing so much better, and continues to improve, however I would love confirmation that I am doing the right thing. I have an email into her doctor, as when we last communicated two days ago, his advice was to continue with the 0.1 twice a day. - her numbers have improved since then, and today is the 4th, so it is the emergency line only.

In a nutshell, (using the AlphaTrak):

Two nights ago;
    AMPS 187, gave her 0.1. Down to 100.
    PMPS was 155. I decided to wait to shoot, as her numbers have tanked steeply.
    Checked again + 4, at 167.

Next morning (yesterday) I shot, giving her as tiny amount as possible.:
    AMPS 151. I gave her the 0.1- dose
    +2 she was down to 58. Ugh.
    +4 she was 92.
    PMPS 131. I skipped.
    +3 she was 166

This morning
    AMPS she was 139.
    I skipped.

Her kidney infection medication has only 2 more doses left.
    She is on all wet food, Merrick's Limited Ingredient.

So.....how often should I test?
    If this was your kitty, would you only shoot over 200?

We are crossing our fingers that she is going into remission, but I certainly don't want to put stress on her kidneys with too much sugar.

She is happy, alert, hunting for stuffies and has had a disagreement with our other kitty.

Thanks for any and all advice!

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  2. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

What is her feeding schedule (amounts and times) ?

3. MissLuna

MissLuna Member

I feed her right after I take her blood glucose, morning and afternoon, (right before her shot) and an additional time or two during the day. She is still not eating as much as I would hope at one time, and I know that small meals throughout the day are better for blood sugar.

4. MissLuna

MissLuna Member

I tested her a half an hour early tonight, and her blood glucose was 110! (It had gone up to 167 at 2:40.) She ate her dinner, and I will check her BG again in an hour. She has been acting VERY aggressively against our giving her the antibiotic pill. Only one more night, thank goodness. She has no ketones in her urine. We are very hopeful.

5. MissLuna

MissLuna Member

Also, while I've read the Tight Regulation protocol, and would prefer to be able to keep her in the green for a week with 0.1, she has had some low "tanks" /nadirs and just yesterday dropped from 151 to 58 with just 0.1 at AMPS+2. These numbers are with a pet-specific meter, and the information on the TR page specifies a human glucometer, so I am a bit at a loss. I know that pet meter numbers are lower than human numbers.

She also ate. I feel like I am treading on dangerous ground, and will talk with her dr. tomorrow.

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

The take action point on a pet meter is 68, so yes MissLuna earned a reduction. One dose that some people do is called a drop. Push hard against the plunger, insert the syringe into the vial or pen and release the plunger. The vacuum sucks up about a drop. That might get her a bit lower. You don't have to shoot for all green on the AT, as it reads a bit higher than human meters, not lower. Your vet might be able to advise you on a normal range for the AT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.