Discussion in 'Feline Health - (The Main Forum)' started by HWright, May 27, 2017.
Vet apt tomorrow for fluids
Do you know what antibiotic was given? If it was Convenia, it probably isn't the right antibiotic for the infection. Convenia is meant for skin conditions but vets use it for everything these days.
Amidst all else, he might be having an accumulated reaction to the convenia injections (if that is what vet injected).
Gretchen it's about time to retest. can you post the bg that needs to be done 30 minutes after the 134 bg about 1/2 hour ago? We have to see if he's beginning to hold his own or not.
Gretchen, it's been about an hour since the last BG check. It's CRITICAL that you get a reading ASAP to ensure Trinka's BG is staying in a safe range because that 134 may have been hugely influenced by whatever sugary stuff you gave him and he may be dropping again. Please update ASAP.
According to spreadsheet Trinka's BG is now up to 278. Please check him again in an hour just to be sure he is holding and not dropping again.
THE DOSE OF INSULIN TONIGHT HAS TO BE REDUCED! It's too dangerous to give the 2u at this point in time! Please post with the pre-shot number and get some advice about dosing. I'm leaning toward no more than 1u to be on the safe side right now as long as pre-shot is over 300. If it's lower, perhaps 0.5u. These huge and swift drops are just stressing Trinka's system too much particularly when he is not eating that well and he may drop more at night than he does during the day. With 2 cycles dropping to such low BG, caution is of the utmost importance right now and it's better to give too little insulin than too much.
I just got message from gretchen by message. And I've been internet inaccessible but heading home soon.
She got locked out of fdmb and hadn't been able to log in again.
I asked her to message me the latest bgs etc.
Bg was 278 at 12:30pm ET per gretchen message.
@MrWorfMen's Mom I copy and pasted yours above and messaged it to Gretchen.
Also asked to retest now if she hadn't done for the 1hr/ca 1:30pm retest time you asked for.
She messaged a few minutes ago that Trinka is "chilling on [her] feet in the kitchen."
Ok here is 2pm ET bg: 316
She Resumed spoon feeding him right now.
Ok good to know. I'm going to go get ready to go out now. It looks like Trinka's BG will be well above 300 at pre-shot tonight so I think 1u will be fine but I would caution Gretchen to get a test around +3 or at least +4 to ensure that he doesn't drop so drastically again and Gretchen has lots of time to bring BG up if the need should arise (fingers crossed it doesn't!). I'll try to check in when I get home but that will depend on time I get back.
Ok Linda. Thanks
Trinka messaged that Trinka eating liver shake just now.
Pm preshot time is in approx two hours ca 4pm. Test again at 3pm? Or hold til 4pm pm bg?
Update from Gretchen:
Nosebleeds have been recurring all day.
Trinka did have some liver shake since the 2pm bg. Going out quick to get honey and gravy cat foods. Back home by :2:45/3pm.
She will do 4pm (pmbg), another early one if any changes, post here or via message to me and wait for dosage amount verification from here.
Who can assist in her getting access to the forum since she was locked out today bc of too many incorrect passwords? @Jill & Alex (GA) ??
I suspect the nosebleeds may be high blood pressure....posted that to fbook post. Poor Trinka....she's so tired...Gretchen and Philip are too
I don't know of anyone other than Jill to contact about lockout but whether she is available today or not is a big guess. I think as long as Trinka's BG is over 300, 1u should be OK. If it's lower, then we'd have to reconsider maybe 0.5u. I hate to reduce for fear of ketones but gees that poor cat is on a roller coaster and that can't be helping. Good she is getting honey and gravy food. I'm off now. Thanks for the help everyone!
I have no idea how long a "lock out" lasts when too many incorrect passwords have been used. Under the circumstances, I would try again in an hour or two... if Gretchen feels confident that she knows the correct password. If not, the only other *possible* solution I know of is for her to "reset" her password:
Type in user name and then click on "Forgot Password".
Follow instructions on the next screen then click on "Reset Password":
An email with instructions to reset her password will be sent to the email address she provided when registering.
Has an ER/vet been contacted about this? It's very worrisome.
When getting insulin into a cat is imperative, it's ok to feed higher carb/high carb foods! Not only is it ok, but it's the safest way to do it.
ETA: Remember, developing ketones isn't about the numbers as much as it is about insufficient insulin.
@Jill & Alex (GA) thank you for the info and password reset instructions. I just them to Gretchen.
Re other: yes worrisome and very concerning. Idk about exact vet involvement today but aware to take to er.
Yes and she's returned from quick run to get more gravy foods and some honey.
Gretchen's update: 3pm ET bg: 379
Folks, with all this bouncing back and forth today, I mistated what I thought would be Trinka's pm t/f/s fir this afternoon. His morning shot was at 5:40 am (its usually been around 4am).
Gretchen's update as of 4:28pm (+11): 538
"538. Still nasally ate a few spoons of liver shake Sheba mix"
Still wouldn't do anymore than 1.0U, test at +2 or +3, and again 2 hours later.
gretchen just sent me some short videos but I can't upload them (never got the knack unless via YouTube).
She reports snoring right now and breathing hard. It's shy about an hour firvhus reduced dose (1u? 1.25? Other that's less than 2u.
But I'm very concerned about the breathing changes and the nosebleeds.
And his bg at +11 (4:30pm) is 538
Pls advise. @Jill & Alex (GA) @Yong @Sharon14 etc.
Following along here. I don't want to interfere, although something jumped out at me. Gretchen says Trinka is going to vet tomorrow for fluids. Before receiving fluids make sure blood pressure and heart is checked out because of nose bleeds. If heart related, fluids should not be done.
How about getting to the ER?
I'm broaching that now.
It's so close to pm reduced shot time (and needs to have a dose to lessen risk of ketosis but what amount depends on fud intake which hadn't been a lot) and I'm not qualified to do dosing advice.
The breathing and the recurring nosebleeds really worry me too.
Message from gretchen: er vet us 15-20 min from home.
Breathing and nose bleeds are priority now. The ER can give the dose,but I think there is more going on with Trinka that's unknown.
In response to PM sent from HWright:
I am not qualified (never used N) nor do I believe in anyone offering specific advice for an insulin I/they have never used. That said, IMHO, the nose bleeding and breathing hard issues take precedence over insulin, but I'm not a vet. Neither are any of the rest of us.
I agree with Woodsywife: Go to the ER. Trinka needs help we are not qualified to give.
My feelings exactly. They also are the best to check lungs and heart and bp with all that's going on.
Will relay to gretchen who is standing by.
Ok gretchen on her way right now to er with Trinka.
I gave her my home phone # to call if can assist explaining things to er. This in part Bc she's not back to log in ability here yet.
If that's not kosher I'm sorry. Bjt it's what made sense under the total circumstances and urgency.
Just seeing breathing changes and nosebleeds . Glad she is taking him to ER. Sending healing vines for Trinka
Just update by posting when you can so everyone is dealing with the same info.
Thank you, Sina!
Sending healing vines to Trinka.
Sina, keep us posted will you? Prayers for Trinka.
Absolutely and have done so.They are almost there.
Gretchen sent this photo just now.
Updating as I get info. so please bear with multiple posts.
Lost weight now 6#6oz
Just off phone with Gretchen, who is very distressed and upset, and talked with er vet Dr Fenwick.
Initial evaluation is kidney failure, severe dehydration and severe massive infection in nasal cavity area, source/cause of infection as yet undetermined. Said lungs ok and heart consistent with conditions described.
They're doing full panel right now. He will call back in about 20-30 min with results.
Was able to log in. At emergency vet getting bloodwork done. Doesn't look good. Trying to rule out kidney failure. Severely dehydrated emaciated and upper respitory. Fingers crossed
Have been spoon feeding him the last few days. Finished liver shake 1 can Sheba and 1 can fancy feast over course of day. Due for insulin now
Gretchen, glad you're back online here.
Crossing paws and heaps of vines for you and your Trinka.
Yes it is the time when Trinka would have his reduced insulin shot and supper. But at moment the lab work results and further evaluation have to take priority. So hold tight ok?
Bless you Sina. I've done it myself.
He finished liver shake fancy feast mixture with water at 4.30
Severely anemic suggested euthanasia
I'm SO sorry Gretchen....severe anemia isn't easy to resolve. Remember - we may not be in the room with you but we're all, both here and facebook, trying to hold you as close as possible while you go thru this. HUGS and hugs
My Ducia was sever anemic at RBC=20%. Resolved with with weight gain in less than 8 weeks. She had E-Tube inserted so I controlled the food intake.
Dear friends, with heavy heart I share what gretchen just shared and more about our discussions, discussion with their er vet and the labs since their arrival at ER.
Gretchen said it was ok to share with you all. First, she and her husband Phil want to thank you all for your kindness, help, care and support.
The lab results, or rather the parts that could be read by the machine despite blood viscosity, confirmed even more so what the er vet was concerned about. After weighing the options of either overnight hospitalization for IV and observation or let Trinka go, the family has decided to let Trinka go.
Fly free sweet valiant and brave Trinka. I know that all the GA's are welcoming you at the Bridge. And our hearts are with you and your family during this your journey to the Great Beyond.
Hugs and prayers to you. Be free sweet Trinka.
So sorry to hear the news Gretchen.....Nobody could have done more than you did for Trinka and letting him go was the last gift you could give him.
Fly free sweet Trinka and land softly.....there are lots of friends to greet you at the Bridge and keep you company until the one you love most comes to be with you forever
I'm so sorry you've lost Trinka.
I am so so sorry for your loss. You and Trinka fought a valiant battle, but you were wise enough to see that the fight was just too much for your precious boy.
You have given Trinka the greatest gift of love and allowed him to be finally at peace and pain free. Hold close all the special memories to give you peace and strength at this sad time.
I'm so sorry for your loss (((Gretchen and Phil)))
Fly Free Beautiful Trinka. Wait for your mommy at The Bridge.
So very sorry.... fly free Trinka
My family and I are so very sorry. We've followed your valiant battle to give your baby every possible chance, and I am sorry to see it come to this sad conclusion, but Trinka is now your Angel just as you were his.
Wishing you peace and strength during this difficult time,
So very sorry Gretchen
Fly Free Sweet Trinka, Land Softly
I'm so, so sorry. I offer my condolences,
(And massive respect to all those who helped.)
You did your best, Gretchen. May fond memories of your beloved, Trinka, warm your heart always
I'm so sorry for your loss.
If anyone needs supplies let me know. Meters, zobaline, binder, renakare, insulin, needles, ect...
I am very sorry that it was Trinka's time to cross. Prayers for healing for you and your family.
So sorry for your loss Gretchen
Gretchen, I am so very sorry to hear that Trinka has gone to the bridge. RIP Trinka.
((Gretchen and your family)) and ((dear FDMB friends who have been with Trinka and Gretchen during this journey))
When I first began this thread to help Gretchen and Trinka get started here during their Memorial Day weekend crisis, little did I foresee at the time all that would unfold or that Trinka's journey to join the spirits would begin during yet another holiday weekend, the Fourth of July.
Tuesday night, soon after Gretchen and Philip set Trinka free, nighttime came and friends down the road at the mouth of the river began their annual fireworks while I was upstairs with civie Azalea. Through the window we saw glorious displays of light and color, the usual sounds this time seeming mellifluous instead of cacophonous. I felt Trinka's presence in those fireworks: joyous, reveling in the unbounded fullness of being in the release to becoming spirit. At the same time I realized that the little bird nest, nestled in the Christmas wreath that I'd kept up for just such springtime purposes, had fallen silent during the day. The active, ever hungry, chirping babies who for weeks had been visible by sound and beaks, had finally fledged during the day. For some reason, it all seemed to be in sync with Trinka's journey; the birds fledged in time to help lead the way for Trinka and the fireworks became the voice of Trinka's joy and well being in the Universe.
Fly free, Sweet Trinka and thank you for being in our hearts and lives.
Sina - it's unique that you felt this way as I too, as the fireworks were flying up in the air and bursting, they were celebrating Trinka and guiding her journey.
❤❤ thank you, Lyresa. 'Twas Beautiful, yes?❤❤
Oh yes twas!
Hubby was wondering how long it takes siblings to grieve. I was away for the weekend and Trinkas litter mate Yoshi was walking thru the house meowing. Had food fresh water and clean litter box.
Hi Gretchen, sorry to hear Yoshi is grieving . I'm pretty sure they're kind of like people, the amount of time can vary
As Yong said, the grieving is so individual. What were his eating patterns/how was his appetite while you were away? If he hasn't eaten, you risk onset of hepatic lipidosis which is very serious.
If he is eating but not as much, there also might be an underlying health issue brewing. I'd bring yoshi to the vet right away for a complete physical and senior CBC blood work panel. If something is brewing, it'll be better to catch it now.
It has been over 8 weeks since Tuxie passed and his littermate sister Maxie is still yowling and howling. I had to syringe feed her the first week or so, since she was refusing to eat. It has lessened somewhat but she is still in grieving. I even took her to the vet and had full bloodwork done a week or so after, to make sure there were no health issues other than her FD. They were together 16 1/2 years and Tuxie was the more dynamic personality of the two. Just like people, kitties need to work through their grief. I try to give as much extra attention and time to Maxie as I can.
He isn't really much of a canned food eater but likes to nibble on dry. Also enjoys licking juice out of Sheba container. Has always had a small appetite
They grieve until they don't. Give extra attention, some new toys, new food treats, keep loving them. They will come around.
He enjoyed his new wand toy and treats
Good to know, Gretchen. How is Yoshi's appetite?
The same as usual he is not much of a big eater enjoys snacking throughout the day when his sister isn't eating
Separate names with a comma.