7/5 Tigger AMPS & + 300 all day -would like input re. dose

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tigger's Friend, Jul 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tigger's Friend

Tigger's Friend Well-Known Member

Looks like Tigger's bouncing from a below 200 last night (was too tired to test after bed but +2 was 229, down from 329 PMPS)'s or is maybe leveling on the Lantus? Today is his Day #5. This is his first ever all purple day

Should I hold for Day #6 or increase?

I notice that Tigger's BG is often lower at +2 & even +1 than his PS - I was thinking this was an overlap, but then he's also done this with the Prozinc? Is that normal?

Also, if a portion of the dose is going to the depot, I'm thinking that will elevate numbers until the depot is full? If so, could it be that Tigger is just now filling up his depot?

Lastly, I've been getting 1 large in the syringe even tho I fill slowly & move the plunger back & forth to lubricate. I also try & hold the plunger really firmly to make sure no extra air's inside when I insert into the pen. Tapping gets the bubble to the top, but last night it didn't go out & this AM I couldn't tell if it went out with the overflow insulin. Last night I left a smidge of insulin in to try & make up for the differential. This morning I was unable to do that. I'm using SureComfort syringes from ADW, & just ordered the Momoject - they're more expensive, hopefully they're better.

Thanks for your input - we really appreciate your help!

2. Cleo & Jane (GA)

Cleo & Jane (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 7/5 Tigger AMPS 362 +1/329 +2/314 +5/314 -1st all purple

Hi Suzanne,

I can't help with dosing advice, but I hear you with the syringe bubbles! They frustrate me too. I have actually whacked the needle and bent it, when I have a hard time getting rid of a bubble :D I waste a few syringes every week.

I hope Tigger stops bouncing and comes down some for you!

Jane

3. Tigger's Friend

Re: 7/5 Tigger AMPS 362 +1/329 +2/314 +5/314 -1st all purple

Thanks, Jane, nice to meet you. Yes, what to do with the bubbles!

I was just looking at Cleo's SS - looks great - congratulations! I hope you're able to go OTJ soon - looks like you're close & only after a short time. Keeping my fingers crossed it'll happen for Tigger, too - even tho' he was on Prozinc first.

4. Cleo & Jane (GA)

Cleo & Jane (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 7/5 Tigger AMPS 362 & over 300 all day #5 - increase dos

Thanks Suzanne,

We are not there yet, but with the help of the people on this board, we are doing good! The best part is seeing how much better she feels!

We had some bad news from vet visit today. Looks like Cleo is starting some kidney problems, but I am going to try and look at it as a good thing, because we caught it early!

Tigger is a beautiful kitty - love big, red boys!!

5. Tigger's Friend

Sorry to hear about the kidney issues...you might want to ask your vet about Azodyl - it did wonders for one of mine - along with subq fluids & diet change. Also, a good canned food for kidney is Lotus - but probably higher in carbs for a diabetic kitty, I think it's at least 10%, maybe 14%. If you want to try Lotus, ask about it on the Board first, just to be sure.

6. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

You got it. It can be really hard when starting out too sit on you hands and look at those higher numbers. Tigger is still filling the shed and haveing a nice little bounce to boot. The waiting makes using Lantus harder to get used to. We all want to make our babies better NOW!!!

Each brand of needle has it's pros and cons. BD are realllly bad for bubbles, Monoject has a cone inside the end to trap the bubbles, but there have been problems w/ inconsistent needle depth in the cone, many of us now use Terumo, still some bubbles but not too bad to get rid of, however the lines can be placed way off. We use digital caliper to compensate for that. I've never used the sure comfort so nothing to add there.

7. Tigger's Friend

Re: 7/5 Tigger AMPS & + 300 all day -would like input re. do

Thanks, Anne - so should I wait the full 7 days? I read in the sticky its 5-7 days, I just didn't want to be doing nothing when I should be doing something.

Re. syringes: what Terumo syringe do you use or do you just use the needles & put them on the syringe body? Also (sorry to be so stupid) what is the digital caliper that you use for compensation with the Terumo?

Thanks again for the input - I DO want Tigger better NOW & hate to see the numbers going in the WRONG direction!!! nailbite_smile
    Please let me know your questions re. the stomatitis & I'll see if I can help at all.

8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

The only insulin syringes I'm aware of come as a single unit with the needle attached. Marje, and several others, can give you info on using digital calipers.

If I had to guess, I would bet that Tigger saw some blue numbers last night and what you're seeing this cycle is a bounce. I would wait to see the bounce clear and then increase Tigger's dose.

9. Tigger's Friend

Thank you, Sienne, I'll do that.

I saw you posted about Rice flour in Charms' supplement. I was considering buying egg yolk lecithin for Tigger for hairballs, but it also has rice flour, presumably for the same reason. The dose is 1/2 cap. several times a week. Would that amount be harmful for a diabetic?

Thanks again, I appreciate the input - helps me know how to go.

10. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

If it's raw egg, it could also be an issue for kitties. Uncooked egg whites contain avidin which interferes with the absorbtion of B-vitamins.

For hairballs, you can add a bit of oil (vegetable or olive or coconut oil, butter) to Tigger's food. Plain vasoline is also possible. Vasoline (petroleum jelly) is the base for most of the hairball remedies. They just add sweeteners (e.g., maltose like in Petromalt) so that most of the products aren't diabetes friendly.

11. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

The Terumo syringes are one piece disposables, we get them from ADW too and they are only $13 a box. The caliper is from Harbor Freight. Do you get the Sunday paper, there is usually a 20% off coupon in their sunday ad. There is a HF in Santa Maria on Broadway. I'll find the post where Marje describes how to use it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.