7/6 Aurora update

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Nicole Z, Jul 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole Z

Nicole Z Well-Known Member

Hi everyone!

Sorry I haven't dropped in lately, been crazy busy with "life".
    Aurora is doing great, I check her numbers on Sunday's and she's usually in the mid 70's so we're very happy with that!
    Today was upsetting though - 430am she jumps up on the bed and I felt her pawing at the blanket so I figured she was just trying to wake me up and when I went to reach down she peed on my comforter!!! I jumped up out of bed and quickly took the cover off the blanket and got it into the wash. She has peed twice in the past once on a plastic bag I put on the island and another time on a new rug but I figured that must have been her saying she wasn't feeling good ( that was when she was diagnosed diabetic ). She seems so happy and content otherwise. I'm taking her into the vet at 430pm today - will get full blood work up and urine test - any ideas what this could be? She's about 15lbs, she wants to eat all the time. She spends most of the morning if I'm working at home following me and laying by her dish waiting for 2nd's and 3rd's.
    I always thought she's just being a piggy - if this was thyroid which I thought they loose weight.....could that cause peeing like this? I'm not happy....

Bellasmom likes this.
  2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad Aurora is staying in good numbers for you. I wonder if she could have a UTI? I hope it's something simple. Sending prayers.

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I agree it could be UTI.

4. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I was thinking UTI too.

5. Nicole Z

I have one of those massive jumbo extra wide litter boxes 1 upstairs in laundry room and 1 in basement. I have to tape pee pads to the wall in the laundry room because she's been peeing standing up and her tail shakes like crazy and she sprays pee all over the pee pads. I'm changing them constantly. Would that be indicative of a UTI?
    When she does pee, she is peeing a full amount.

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Arthritis? That's what peeing standing could be.

Is that 15 lbs a good weight for Aurora? Is she gaining?

7. Nicole Z

I am not sure Wendy if she's gaining. The other vet always said she was too fat but it is hard as you know with a diabetic cat to put them on a diet. She runs around like a crazy when she's frisky so I am not sure re the arthritis. Hard to say. She's kinda too round to fully clean her bottom - she seems to struggle to get there because her tummy is in the way! LOL

8. Wendy&Neko

Extra weight can make arthritis harder on them. Might be good to ask the vet what her ideal weight would be. I tried to keep Neko's weight down. I told her she wasn't allowed to get to 15 lbs. It was harder cause she had excess growth hormone at play too.

9. Nicole Z

It's hard, especially with 2 and Aurora seems to be so moody, I'm always afraid to make her upset and trigger her to pee so if she sees I'm giving Mulan food then she wants....

10. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

First.. :bighug::bighug:

Is Aurora fixed? I'm glad you're having her checked out. Tanner didn't lose weight when he became hyperthyroid so that's not necessarily a symptom.

Keep us posted.

11. Nicole Z

Mandy yes Aurora is fixed. The vet did a full exam on her. She said everything felt and looked good. She didn’t pee all day, neither did and I checked all over. She did go to the litter box right before we left for the vet ( figures ) but she had her butt hanging off the front of the litter box so I missed getting a cup under her bottom and she peed by accident in the toss rug infeitnof the litter box. The vet said her bladder was small and couldn’t get a good sample. Her teeth had quite a bit of tarter and we just had them cleaned about 8 months ago. She was at 78 when I checked her this morning. The vet gave her a convenia injection just Incase it’s a bladder infection. Her weight was 13 lbs 14 oz which is down about just over 2 lbs from the last time she was there which we think was in November. I sure hope it’s not thyroid, the vet said her heart rate was normal and in thyroid cats it’s usually higher and also she couldn’t feel any enlargement. Her hunch is bladder infection though I’m leery because she’s not going to the litter box frequently and she is peeing in larger amounts. But she felt with her peeing standing up shaking her tail could mean bladder infection. She checked her knees and didn’t think arthritis. Blood work should be back tomorrow.

12. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

I also thought of a UTI.

13. Wendy&Neko

Neko's arthritis was in the spine more than knees. Sounds like a pretty good vet visit. Paws crossed on the b/w.

14. Nicole Z

Morning everyone! Didn’t sleep much last night removed my comforter because I didn’t want a repeat so tossed all night. Aurora used the litter box before bed and just used it now. I heard her meow in the basement so maybe this truly is a uti. Hopefully the convenia kicks in soon and she feels better. Will update later when I hear back from vet.

15. Nicole Z

Sorry I didn’t update yesterday. Vet called all labs are great. Glucose on their labs was 133 which she said is totally normal so that was nice to just re confirm though I check her weekly so thanks to you all I already know this! Lol
    So it would seem bladder infection. She hasn’t had any other accidents anywhere so this is all good news. I guess when she’s peeing more standing up that could be my cue to grab a urine sample and run it over to the vet. Thanks everyone!

16. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I'm glad Aurora's bloodwork came back great. :bighug: I hope the Convenia helps her.

FYI Ginger never lost weight when she was dx with hyperthyroid.

17. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Glad the labs came back great. I hope she gets over the UTI quickly. Sending prayers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.