7/8 Zoot! day 28 - AMPS 229 +7 253 PMPS 221 - How long does Lantus Solostar last

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Cinnie Cole, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

Zoot! is doing well! Hanging in in the low 200s.

I have a question about how long I should continue to use the Lantus solostar pen. This is day 28, and the company says we should discard and start a new pen now. Is that what all of you do? Just curious.

2. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

Hi Cinnie!

As long as you’re keeping the solo star pen in the fridge your insulin should last until it’s finished :D

I’m happy to hear that Zoot has been doing well and seeing lower numbers! That must be such a relief for you :)

3. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

The company says that to human beings who are carrying their pens in their pockets/purses. We cat-folk keep our pens in the fridge and make that baby last for months (in my case)...Luci is on a small dose and a pen will last her about three months - give or take. I always keep them in the fridge. So as long as it's refrigerated disregard what the manufacturer has to say about that 28 day thing. Unless you have unlimited funds or an unlimited supply of Lantus - in which case you could hook us all up :) LOL!

4. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

Thanks! He is doing okay!

Hmmm. There seem to be mixed instructions - I have not been refrigerating the pen - I have been following the company's instructions which are that after first use, don't refrigerate the pen and keep at room temp under 86 degress, to keep away from direct heat and sunlight, and don't leave in hot car or freeze.

Where did you see instructions to keep it refrigerated - is that something that people here have discovered?

Thanks again!

5. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

Ah, okay - I guess then I should discard this one and start a new one and keep refrigerated in the future.

Live and learn.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  6. Sue and Luci

Here in the Stickie:
    Insulin Care & Syringe Info: Proper Handling, Drawing, Fine Dosing
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...info-proper-handling-drawing-fine-dosing.151/

• In-use and unopened Lantus, Basaglar, and Levemir should be stored in the refrigerator between 36 to 46 degrees F (2 to 8 degrees C).

AmandaE likes this.
  7. Sue and Luci

I'm not so sure I'd discard it - has your home been fairly cool - air conditioned? At the price, I'd try to continue to use it, unless you notice that there is no change whatsoever in Zoot's numbers - put it in the fridge now - and keep all the rest in there as well - now you know...but personally I'd keep it and give it a try...

AmandaE likes this.
  8. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

There have been a couple of warm days but it is stored in a cool metal cabinet. No AC but we have not needed it really in that part of our house (lucky us).

Do you think it would work if I will put it in the refrig now and try for a few more days to see how he is doing. (From his general clinical signs he seems to be doing great.) I have another unopened refrigerated one here that I could use and compare to see if the numbers are significantly different.

9. Sue and Luci

Yes, in my opinion I'd keep using the one you have - it's most likely okay - however if you notice - for instance, after an increase, after a few days, his numbers are rising, not falling, then you might have to deem this pen 'no good'. But I wouldn't make that decision based on time alone - I'd sure want to test it out to be sure - as long as his numbers are in good ranges or going down - then the insulin is most likely still effective. I'm not fond of wasting something just because the label says, 'use by' or 'expires on'... proper handling extends the life of most everything for much longer than the manufacturer would have you believe. If it's been stored in a cool place then give it a try - like I said, too expensive just to discard after only 28 days.

10. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

Cinnie, I did the exact same thing!!

It looks like the insulin is still working based on Zoots numbers. I would say just start keeping it in the fridge.

Sue and Luci likes this.