7/9 Mickey

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Peggy and Mickey (GA), Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

Peggy and Mickey (GA) Well-Known Member

2. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

Is is possible to get several or any, mid cycle readings, so we can see if the insulin is doing anything. With prozinc it has probably worn off by the time you take the next preshot reading. Even if you can't do it everyday, random readings anytime during the cycle can be useful when viewed as a collection. I'm wondering if it is time for an increase, but don't have enough data to have an opinion... I would love to see a +4, +6, +8, +10 to see if there is any curve, and how low he may be going.

Why are you feeding so long before the shot? Is that just because of your crazy schedule? If not, many folks prefer not to feed during the last 2-3 hours before the "test feed shoot" routine because PZI insulin is likely fading during this period.

BTW is Mickey unusually hungry? Does he snore? Was he on any steroids that could have caused his FD?

3. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

Nancy, He is a steroid induced diabetic. He was on it for what we found to be a luxating patella after 2305.00 worth of neurological tests. And oh, he will grow out of that. He did. So, I went away on vacation October in 06. Kinda loosing weight. by November his weight went from 24 lbs to 18. (boy he was perfect at 18 for his size). He had FD. We used Humulin 70/30 for about a month and hadn't had a problem till now. Long story short I hope.

I am currently on night shift. 10p-6a I will get done Monday morning at 6am have off Tue-Wed then I switch to 6a-2p now I have no Idea how I am going to switch his shooting schedule for that one. The 2p-10p shift I can adjust to 10:30a-p I hope an hour and a half wont matter too much. The only thing I can think of is to call this Vet tech I know to see if she can come over for 5 days straight every 3rd week and give him his am test and shot. That is why we eat at weird times. I am afraid to not leave wet food out for him. Just in case. Which is most likely why he weighs what he does. :YMSIGH: I do wonder if he is even hungry or just bored. Although you would never know he was bored today. He was charging cats that he never even paid attention to before. Hair up and all...

4. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Peggy! :D Are the shots going any easier today? I know there are some diagrams around of best places to shoot, we can try to dig them up if that might help, and/or you might try searching on Health or here on PZI for other threads on the subject. I have found the shorter needles much much easier - you don't have to really tent, I just pull the skin up a little and shoot into that. Love it, and he rarely seems to notice at all. I shoot sort of below his shoulder blade, kind-on on his side, maybe an inch or two down from the spine. Anything closer to the belly or the hind legs did NOT go well. :) I did the scruff though with the longer needles if I recall. The absorption isn't supposed to be as good, but that's the only place I could tent very well.

5. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

No not much

:-| I hurt him tonight. I keep pulling at his skin to see where there is extra. I will try his side like you said tomorrow morning. I have to get a picture up here him. I left the wire that attaches to the camera somewhere in the house and cant find it at the moment. Gotta pick up some neosporin for his poor ears tomorrow too....99999999999++ :mrgreen: that would be the 3 wk old kitten stepping on my keyboard at work!! LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.