7 Dec TUCKER AMPS 6.6 (119)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tucker, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Tucker

Tucker Member

Could I ask some of the more experienced Sugar Keepers to take a look at Tucker's SS for me? I am wondering if we are looking at a failed reduction and would appreciate your analysis of his doses and tests. Many thanks!

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

On the night of the 12/1 (3 days ago) he earned a reduction down to 2.5 units with that 2.2 (40) BSL., which you didn't take.
    He looks like he bounced the next day with that 313. He normally doesn't bounce for long but he looks like he has this time.
    You have more spaces than normal where you haven't tested and whether he has dropped down there or not, I don't know.
    Could you get some more tests in to see if he's dropping?
    I would hesitate to say increase the dose given his recent history of dropping.
    Sometimes too much insulin can look like too little.
    Could he be getting into any HC food?
    See what others say.

Joanne&TinySole likes this.
  3. Tucker

Tucker Member

I've done a test at 1:30am and he has come down to 12. At the moment 5 tests a day may be all I am able to swing. I'm not sure if he is bouncing or if his body is adjusting to the 2.75 or if he is sneaking snacks that we don't know about. I'm inclined to leave him at the 2.75 for a few more days and see how it goes before making any adjustments but I'll wait to hear what everyone says first.

4. Tucker

Tucker Member

His AMPS was a much more reasonable 8.1 (146). I think I'll see how the day goes, maybe he is coming off of the bounce.

5. Joanne&TinySole

Joanne&TinySole Well-Known Member

Good call.
    I've learned that patience and holding the dose to watch how the sugar babies hanle things for a few days.

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

If it was a longer than normal bounce after that 2.2(40) and he has come off the bounce, I'd be watching and testing closely in case he drops low again as you didn't take that reduction.

JeffJ likes this.
  7. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Good advice above.

I like the comment in his SS from a few days ago - Tucker got into some Skittles. And as we all know, Skittles are highly addictive, especially the berry flavors. The comment gave me a chuckle. Tucker is certainly a unique kitteh. Not sure many kittehs would even taste a skittle.

Amanda and a Loudogg and Tucker like this.
  8. Tucker

Tucker Member

He may be off the bounce now. He's at single digits all day again, and very bright eyed and feisty. His SS sure looks a lot better today!
    I have to say that mopping the wood floors was not on my list of things to do today.... BUT then there is Tucker. I came down the hallway and saw a stream of water coming from the dining room. Walked in and there he was......on his back legs......stretched up pulling on the bottled water lever as the water flowed past him. JERK! :banghead:

Bron and Sheba (GA) and JeffJ like this.
  9. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Nice blue start

10. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

About the water....well I guess you can be thankful he is an active kitteh. We wouldn't want you to be bored. It sounds like he is a bit of a pest though.

The old advice is that we are supposed to play with our cats until they are panting a little and worn out. Even when Leo was little, I could never get it done. He would always regain his energy in an hour and be ready for more antics.

The very worst incident of Leo getting into everything
    Leo almost died. He was a few months old in 2006. He was on the kitchen counter near the kitchen sink window. There was a loop in the pull shades. He had gotten his head into the loop and pulled. Theresa came home from lunch and Leo had pulled himself away from to the edge of the counter and almost fallen off (think hangman's noose type hanging). She immediately cut him off the loop. So we almost had a dead kitteh at age three months. Pretty horrifying, but we got lucky. Then we fixed all the other draw cords in the house.

So my advice on curtains:
    ALWAYS make sure there is no loop in the curtain pull cord.
    Otherwise your cat can get stuck in it and hang themselves.

11. Tucker

Tucker Member

I just read this and won't hit 'like' because I dislike it so much! That's horrible and I'm so happy you were able to save him! We have breakaway chains on the few roller blinds we have in this house but I'll never forget that story in the future and will spread the word.

12. Tucker

Tucker Member

Anticipating a bounce soon. Found a half eaten candy cane behind the Christmas tree this morning.... I thought I could tell which of the mugs looked guilty but they all do! I'm sure Daisy would have started it but Tucker probably got a few licks in too. This afternoon he has gone down to 4.7/85 but I'm still expecting a leap at some point.

13. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Nothing is safe around our furry friends. Everything is fair game. :joyful:
    Especially when you leave candy canes dangling from the Christmas tree.... that is too big a temptation to pass by!

JeffJ likes this.
  14. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

I didn't mean to tell such a dreadful tale. We are so lucky to have Leo. Just like you have gone thru a lot with Tucker, and your other kitteh that had a bunch of health issues - we feel so lucky with Leo. Tonight it is chilly, so Leo is snuggled up with Little Dude to stay warm. Our kittehs can be so sweet.

We had team lunch today. One of my co-workers, I have worked with him in this company and a previous one. He is from Melbourne. He talked about the assisted college situation for many Australians. It was a pretty neat story, and that was how he got thru college.

Glad to see Tucker is doing pretty well. Both Leo and Tucker are now on the same A.M. dose of 2.75! Kitteh-brothers across the globe!

Tucker likes this.
  15. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

The Boys....keeping warm. It got all the way down to 60 degrees. Poor kittehs :) Leo and LD cuddled Dec 2018.jpg

Tucker likes this.
  16. Tucker

Tucker Member

Dear brothers keeping each other warm. Ours are laying on their backs all in a row, trying desperately to cool off under an air conditioning vent!

JeffJ likes this.
  17. Tucker

Tucker Member

Unusual day today! Tucker was a reasonable 10.7 this morning and at +7 had gone to 2.3, after some carbs he has risen to 2.6. Should I give the whole 2.75 at tea time??

18. Bron and Sheba (GA)

He has earned a reduction to 2.5 units

19. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I’d give him some more carbs to get him over 3

20. Tucker

Tucker Member

I gave him carbs about 2 hours ago. Then his PMPS was only 2.1 and I've stalled and now he is at 4.1. Do I shoot?

21. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Given his history for liking to stay low when he's done with a dose, and the fact he was at 2.1 a couple of hours ago, I'd be inclined to give a 1/2 dose or skip and start with the new dose of 2.5 units in the morning. Others may disagree but I would be on the cautious side. How do you feel about it?

22. Tucker

Tucker Member

I did some testing with Tucker at 1pm and he had taken a big dip to the 2's after being up at 10.7 with his preshot this morning. I gave him medium carb food and retested until he climbed up to 4 and stayed there. Claire took over with the PM testing. At PMPS he had dipped down to 2.1 so she stalled and retested and he was still at 2.1 15 minutes later. At that point she gave him some carbs. Retested half an hour later and he was still below 3. At +1 he had climbed back up to 4. He is now 1.5 hours late for his insulin and at last test he was still at 4. We are considering either a reduction or skipped dose, but leaning towards just skipping it since it's so late anyway.

23. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I would definitely skip the PM dose as the BSL of 4 (72) is food influenced. You will need to keep testing him until he climbs up a bit on his own without food. Then tomorrow morning I would start on the reduced dose of 2.5 units.

24. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Tucker looks pretty low (green) even 4 hours after PMPS. So it was good you skipped. I wish our kittehs would just cooperate and not have any more bouncy cycles.

I was in NYC for 4 days including travel time, returned tonight. Theresa just did 4 days with Leo, and she got all stressed about it. Of course, Leo ate less, and he also decided to have inverted cycles (low AMPS, high nadirs) for her. We try to keep the bigger picture in mind with "regulation over a period of days" as our goal.

...and I had him all nice and mostly regulated for the week prior to the trip.