7 year old indoor/outdoor cat newly diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kittyfiends, Feb 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kittyfiends

Kittyfiends New Member

Hi,
    I would like to say that this sight has a lot of great information on it. My first intuition for this kitty was too euthanize. Because in the past I had a dog with diabetes, and it was a lot of work and commitment, not to mention expense. But after reading all the great information on this sight, I'm going to give it a try.

One of the big challenges is going to be that I have a multiple cat household. Ranging from ages 6 months to 18 years. I have decided to change to all canned food. Francesco the diabetic kitty loves canned food, and is not a finicky eater. I have two that are dry food only eaters.

Anyone have any advice how to manage this?

Rita

2. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Hi Rita. Welcome to FDMB. Bless you for giving Francesco a chance.

In the past, I have had to deal with a dry food addict in the same house as my diabetic. The solution I used was to feed the civie (non-diabetic) in a separate room. Those times that she was humgry and I wasn't around to put her in the room, she still has wet food out that she could consider grazing on.

3. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome Rita,

Have you seen this website: http://www.catinfo.org The vet who developed it has lots of good ideas for switching dry eaters over to wet.

4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

You can feed all of your cats the same canned foods. You do not need to feed Francesco prescription food. If you will check out Janet & Binkey's food list http://binkyspage.tripod.com/canfood.html, you will find you have a lot of options. Look for foods with a high number in the protein column and less than 10 in the carbs column. Many of us feed our cats either Fancy Feast or Friskies canned foods.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.