8/11 KT - Reds/Pinks with increase - Humulin N

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Squeaky and KT (GA), Aug 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Humulin N

KT's numbers aren't looking any better - please take a look at his ssheet and give me any clues you see...

THANKS in advance!

2. Pam & Alley

Pam & Alley Member

Hi Lyresa, All I can say is my cat was on Humulin N for 3 years before I switched to Lev. "N" is fast acting and harsh, I only got a good 4 hours max with it, and our bg numbers went up after that. There are other longer lasting insulins available that would probably work better for you.
    I know how you feel, been there.

Good luck

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Lyresa,
    I'm afraid you won't find too many folks here using this insulin.
    I can see your chart would make you nervous....I think we were just looking at it together.
    Is there any chance you could switch insulins?
    Is there an economic issue?
    I may be able to help if that is the case.
    Lori

4. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

I would go to 2 units now, you've given the increase enough time. Sometimes N just doesn't work well. But you know that it CAN work with your cat. If you can get lantus or levemir I'd go for it, but in the meantime, I would increase.

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I agree with increasing dose to 2 units. I would also take a +3 as well as a +5. My Twigie was on N. She did great, I could keep her BGs below 130 but she seems to be the exception.

6. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Lori,
    You hit the nail right square on the head right now. We struggled to get all the initial supplies including the Humulin N but were able to make it. The cost of the others is almost half of our monthly income. If someone can guide me to a cheaper way, PLEASE do...

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Lyresa, I want you to pm 'Venita and Ennis' or 'DCIN' or it may be spelled out...'diabetic cats in need' and tell her you would like one or 2 pens of lantus. She usually has a stock pile. She will give them to folks like yourself in these circumstances...maybe you could pay for shipping, I don't know.
    Do you know how to find these names to pm them?
    Lori

8. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Lori,
    I don't like to use DCIN's supply but this is my big Wooley-Booger who's only 8 years old - and this Humulin N isn't working. I know I can find a way to email them from Garland's thread if nothing else. He's living at the water bowl again, his hair isn't it's usual soft and fluffy fur so even if I weren't testing and seeing those horrible numbers, I'd still know he's having trouble. I can do the postage. Where do I find instructions for using the pen versus the vial? In the Lantus stickys? I was hoping we could get this Humulin N to work but I'm at the 'giving up' point on it....I think I've given it a really fair shot.

THANK YOU!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Lyresa call me ok. i'm going to send you my number.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.