8/12 Tigger AMPS/97 +1/95 +2/55 +4/58 +6/70 - NOT V. HUNGRY

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tigger's Friend, Aug 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tigger's Friend

Tigger's Friend Well-Known Member

Tigger's 8/10 Post http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=123328

Hello LL!

Thanks everyone for input with Tigger's fuds the other day, it was a huge help.

We enjoyed a nice bike ride this morning, & in addition to our beautiful area saw wild turkeys & their peeps, several groups of deer & a wild pig - all very exciting- makes me feel grateful to be alive.

For about 1 week, Tigger's appy's declined. He's 16 pounds & usu. piggy. His reg. meal was 8-T (1 can of 4% + 5% combo), which he's loved. I thought the appy decline was the 5% & fed more 4%. When his BGs went lower, I added 18% shredded chicken & gravy (Soulistic Good Karma), even a few pieces of 18% kibble which he really liked to keep him level.

He gets diarrhea v. easily w/ fud changes. To help avoid that I increased his probiotics when feeding HC - so maybe an extra 3/4 tsp on top of his reg. 1/2 tsp a day. He usu poos outside & often has soft formed stools. Last night he was mewing in the hall, but then settled down with us. This AM I found 2 poos in his LB - one soft formed & the other soft. Both yellowish, a normal color for him.

Today he ate 6T (with coaxing) out of normal 8Ts. He wouldn't eat any 9%, only 4%. I got 2T HC in at AM+3, only 1@ AM+4. AM+5 (58) -after he didn't eat much HC @ AM+3- I gave Tigger 1/4" strip petromalt to get him higher before PMPS (& prob. more soft poo) :roll: :YMSIGH: - I have to leave for an anniversary party today 4:15 till shot time at 7:15.

I can't give Tigger more probiotics if he's not eating much.

:?: If he doesn't eat his PMPS meal I'm thinking I should skip his shot?

:?: ? As cats get better numbers consistently, can their appetite decrease, even if they've always been big eaters?

Except for diarrhea & appy loss, Tigger's other 4 P's seem fine, he want out more than usual this AM (maybe to poo :roll: ). He IS a little subdued - under the bed some the last few days - but I left his food on the bed when we're gone - maybe the smell bothered him if his appy's off. I took his bowl away earlier & brought him back up on the bed & he's sleeping there now as normal.

I'm afraid to try any new foods at this point- I don't want his tummy to get even more out of whack.

Anyone have any suggestions? He's been doing so well. Seems like I always have questions! Thanks to all of you!

2. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Re: 8/12 Tigger AMPS/97 +1/95 +2/55 +3/57 +4/58 - NOT V. HUN

Tess's appy was off and she was being very picky about fuds. We started to give her 1/2 tsp Slippery Elm Bark Syrup, 1 to 2 hours before her AMPS and PMPS meals. Her appy has improved markedly and she has even gained a few ounces back! :D :D :D (she had slipped under 7 lbs.!)

I bought it in the bulk herb section of Lassens in Santa Maria. Using the microwave method on Tanya's site is really easy. I put it in 10 cc feeding syringes (the extras go in the freezer to keep longer). 2cc is about half a tsp.

3. Tigger's Friend

Re: 8/12 Tigger AMPS/97 +1/95 +2/55 +4/58 +6/70 - NOT V. HUN

Thanks, Ann! I've never used Slippery Elm bark before, except for bean sore throats! I'll try it - I can go into town tomorrow. OOH - I also see it's good for mouth ulcers - maybe would help stomatitis, too! Do you think it would create more diarrhea if its also used for constipation tho?

4. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

yes, when Tigger's numbers are all in the normal range like this, that means that he is getting the glucose into his cells, rather than floating about in his bloodstream. So what he's eating is getting where it is supposed to go. His appy should definitely decrease with that.

however, it kinda sounds like it's not just appy - does he seem sick to you?

His blood sugar is great. I think if he's not eating, i might lean towards skipping the shot. If you have low numbers you want him to be able to eat in order to pull them up. And since you need to go out anyway, that might work well for you.

5. Tigger's Friend

Thanks, Julie, that helps me know the direction I need to pursue.

If he eats his PMPS meal, I'll go ahead & shoot if its not 50 or so.

Tigger's v. good at hiding issues, so sometimes its hard to tell. He's playing & purring, doesn't feel warm (I can't take his temp), his bad eye & mouth look fine, no lumps or bumps on his body, & his BG's great - but he seems a little subdued. He wanted back outside a little while ago.

If he's still not wanting food by Wed or Thursday at the latest I'll take him to the vet.

Perhaps I also overdid the probiotics, too. It's just not like him to not want to eat.

6. lovey11

lovey11 Well-Known Member

Did you recently change the food for Tigger? I wonder if it could be a bug? I know with Lovey if I don't change it so gradually she also gets diarrhea.

Sending prayers for Tigger's appetite to return to normal. Lovey had a problem with appetite and diarrhea last week. This week she is back to normal. I was thinking to try the slippery elm bark as a preventive measure.

7. Tigger's Friend

Thanks for the advice, Catherine!

Yes - Tigger has a sensitive tummy & when I start throwing HC fuds at him, he can get really bad diarrhea.

I'm reading too many probiotics can also cause tummy upset & diarrhea / constipation. He's had alot of those, too!

I'm glad Lovey is back to normal after a rough week, hopefully same-same here.

I didn't know about slippery elm, so I'm giving that a try tomorrow if no improvement.

Thanks again for stopping by!

8. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

yes, too heavy with the probiotics can cause diarrhea in some cats. i'd back off on that and see if it improves. It's hard to balance sometimes - it can improve diarrhea too, but if he's gotten too much of it, that can make it worse.

9. Tigger's Friend

Re: 8/12 Tigger PMPS/104 (late) - Appy better

Thanks, Julie & Everyone!

Tigger ate 2T 9% with gusto at AM+8(74) just before we left - yea!!! :D dancing_cat

When I got home, PMPS was 104, & appy only OK: 1T 9%, another 1/2T with coaxing, so I gave him his dose. Fingers crossed, toes crossed, hair crossed!

Other than appy & poo, he's pretty normal, & skin seems hydrated.

To re-evaluate his calorie intake since his BG shift I'll need to reduce his dose or give him higher carb - or both. (?) Calorie-wise @ 16-pounds he needs about 290 calories / day; 6T of his reg. 4.5%fuds, or 10T :eek: of the 9%.

Gave him 1/4tsp probiotics tonight. Hopefully that's ok.

Thanks again, everyone for all your help, hopefully tomorrow his appy's better.

10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hi Suzanne - first a housekeeping note, gotta change the heading of your first post of the day for update numbers. Good to hear that he started eating well.

On the HC, what are you feeding? I don't like to give Neko the FF gravy, as she doesn't react well to much wheat. One option is to add karo to an LC, but I've recently been experimenting and the new Cowboy Cookout is also 18% carbs and the the carbs are from potatoes, carrots and peas which seems to work just as well with Neko. I know it means trying new foods, but maybe a different type of carb like rice or corn might do the job for Tigger.

As for calorie requirement and Tigger's weight, it partly depends on how active he is. He may not need the full 290 calories now. Neko is 15 lbs 2 oz as of today and I give her less than the formula says for her weight as she's not really active. Are you weighing Tigger regularly to see how his weight is changing, or not?

11. Tigger's Friend

Re: 8/12 Tigger PMPS/104 +1/14 +4/96 Doing Better

Hi Wendy, thanks for your input yesterday, I'm just getting a chance to read your post. Busy Day!

Tigger is better today, I hope to post later today or tomorrow with an update. I'm still racing trying to keep up / down with his numbers - & give the right % accordingly with the higher % we all discussed.

I don't have a scale, so I'm weighing Tigger by guesstimate - will put him on the people scale tomorrow to see.

I'm considering taking him down 12% to 1.85mm from the current 2.30mm. Just want to make sure the depot's not getting ahead of me. HC just doesn't seem to have a big effect - 12 points with 2T this AM +4 - +5.

I like the idea of adding syrup to his LC to avoid more new food upset until these settle in. Accidentally gave him the wrong food today, trying too many I'm not used to to keep him level.

Gotta make dinner for DH & Fur Kids - Thanks again!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.