? 8/14 planning to dose my cat with 1 unit every 12 hrs ?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sasha24, Aug 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sasha24

Sasha24 Member

Yesterday, i mentioned that the vet instructed me to dose 2 units of lantus (Pen) once a day. The vet doing this dose of 2 units since we started last august 1 for 4 days then do an alternate schedule like every other day,. however when we start to alternate the schedule in giving doses there's increase in sugar level and also my cat's liver is very high. So yesterday the vet decided that i should give my cat 2 units once a day for the whole week. But upon reading the threads, dose should be given 12 hours every day. Later around 17:00 HRS Philippine time, i am planning to cut the 2 units into 1 unit every 12 hours. is this okay?.

Thank you in advance for your advise. i am still new at this and surely will ask lots of question during my adjustment period.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Lantus should be given every 12 hours

I think your plan to go to 1U every 12 hours is a good one

Always test before shooting.....then on the AM cycle, try to test again 5-7 hours after the shot and on the PM cycle, make sure to get a test "before bed"

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi, I've just read through your other post. Yes it is much better to give the insulin twice a day 12 hours apart.
    So pick a time 12 hours apart that will suit you best both night and morning and stick to those times.
    If you only have a pen and not syringes, starting on 1 unit is fine.
    You will need to stay on this dose of 1 unit for 5 days to let the depot fill. If your kitty drops too low you would of course reduce the dose.
    When you buy the syringes make sure you are getting the correct ones for Lantus....they are the U-100 insulin BD ultra fine 0.3ml. When you buy them post with a photo so we can check they are the correct ones.
    Make sure you test before every dose of insulin and again around 5 to 7 hours after the shot to see how low the insulin is taking your kitty

ETA I see you are still up @Chris & China. I thought the other side of the world would be sound asleep by now. You must be a night owl!!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  4. Sasha24

Sasha24 Member

Thank you Chris & China, i will push this 1 unit every 12 hours and will test him.

5. Sasha24

Sasha24 Member

Hi Bron, Thank you for this info, i will definitely post a pic here in once i have it later. also, the 5 to 7 hours checking of Glucose, is it okay that during those period my cat will still consume meals?

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Yes You can feed Ken any time in the cycle really except the 2 hours before the preshot test as you don't want to influence the BSL with food when you are testing to see if it is safe to give the insulin.
    Most of us give several smaller meals instead of just one or two meals a day and we usually give food in the first half of the cycle when the insulin is working to bring down the BSL the most. I used to feed at shot time and again at +2 and +4. Others might do shot time and +3 and +6. What ever suits you and Ken the best and works in with when his nadir is (the lowest BSL of the cycle). You will find out when his nadir is with lots of mid cycle testing.
    Keep asking lots of questions. It is the best way to learn about FD......as well as reading, reading, reading:)

7. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good plan indeed.

8. Sasha24

Sasha24 Member

I Gave ken already 1 unit yesterday at 04:48 PM (Philippine time) before giving the dose his BSL was 251 mg/dl ( from meter it came out 151 but i had to plus 100 mg/dl to match the numbers from vet machine testing equipment) i also checked +6 it came out 231 mg/dl. Now, when i am about to give him his dose at 05:15 AM i checked his BSL it came out to be 432 mg/dl. i was very shocked. i changed his food last night to Friskies classic pates ocean fish then he ate the full can. is this could be the reason?

9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I don't understand why you had to add 100 points to your PMPS test to match numbers from your vets machine. Can you explain why you had to add the 100 points please?:)
    What is the name of your glucose meter?
    I doubt the reason for the higher BSL at AMPS is the Friskies Pate. How big was the can?
    He just might be bouncing which is normal for newly diagnosed cats.

10. Sasha24

Sasha24 Member

-I brought the glucose meter to my vet last monday and we did comparison . When he run complete test (checking liver,sugar,cholesterol) using his machine and in glucose meter, there's a difference of 100 mg/dl. his result is much higher. so the vet advised me to + 100 mg/dl to get accurate result and similar to him for better monitoring.
    -The brand is safe accu 2 for human glucose monitoring.
    - the can was 156g / 178cal ( he ate it between 05:00 PM and 10 PM) , morning before providing him new friskies, he was eating 1/4 can of fancy feast with chicken breast fillet and chicken hearts.
    - does it also affect him because almost a week he was given 2 units once a day?.

11. Bron and Sheba (GA)

When you test with a particular meter, you do not add any points at all, so you can compare with your vets meter. That is completely the wrong advice.
    If you are testing with an accucheck 2 meter, do not change the numbers at all. That is a good meter to use.....many of us use it and we do not change any numbers at all. The number you get as a reading is the BSL that he is at that time.....not 100 points more.
    If you do you add 100 points you are not showing the correct picture and it is far too risky. Please NO NOT add 100 points to the reading you get.
    Just test with the accucheck meter and whatever number it says on the meter is the number you use.
    Do you understand what I am saying? I realise English is not your first language and you speak it very well but sometimes it is hard to understand some things:)
    @Wendy&Neko I am quite concerned that the vet said to add 100 points to the meter readings she gets so they can compare it with his meter:eek:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  12. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Please don't add 100 points to what your meter reads. Our dosing methods are set up for people using human meters, so we go by the numbers as they come from your meter. Use the numbers you get from the Accucheck in the spreadsheet. If your vet wants to add 100 points, that's up to him.

13. Sasha24

Sasha24 Member

@Bron and Sheba @Wendy&Neko Yes, English is not my first language :) , Thank you for this advise. from now on, i will follow the reading from the meter. i'm using Safe Accu 2 please refer to this link it is different from accucheck 2 but maybe they work the same.

14. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I have looked at the link above. SafeAccu2 is the same as the meters we use.
    The only thing I would do differently is, it is not necessary to wipe away the first drop of blood. Once you have pricked the ear and the blood appears....use that blood to test the BSL.
    You are doing a really good job finding out what is best for your kitty, well done!!
    Keep asking questions, we are happy to help you:)

15. Sasha24

Sasha24 Member

Okay, Got it and well noted. Thank you Bron i will update you at soonest. i Hope Ken's sugar level will be normal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.