8/14 Uncle AMPS 332, +2 366, +6 362, PMPS 443, +2.5 445 NEG KETONES *good & bad news*

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Barbara & Uncle (GA), Aug 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Barbara & Uncle (GA) Well-Known Member

:(Bad news first:

Wow, Uncle's numbers today are shocking me. I'm not panicking (yet :nailbiting:) but of course I wonder whats going on. I haven't seen red since last February.
    Could it be from something in the new meds?
    I wouldn't think it would be from the Florastor, Enalapril or Sotalol (I talked to the pharmacist who compounded it and she said there is no sweetener in it, artificial or otherwise -no maltodextrine either).
    That would leave the chewable Vetmedin as a possible suspect.

I think I remember @Wendy&Neko mentioned that Neko's numbers went up when she first started on heart meds and then her BG settled down.
    Coincidentally I gave Uncle a dosecrease starting this morning so I hope it will start to kick in. Will test for ketones at +2 tonight.

:)Now for the good news:

Uncle's appetite has picked up since I stopped the Zeniquin. AND he woke me up 3 times last night/this morning to feed him. Also, I let him out into the backyard this evening to get some fresh air and he came to the screen door with a rat in his mouth :eek:! He hasn't hunted in almost a year, so it made me feel good for him.

I have the appointment to take Uncle in on Wednesday for another EKG/ECG to determine if the present Sotalol dose is helping with the arrhythmia. I will ask about the meds possibly affecting his BG and
    I will also have a conversation with the vet about getting an ultrasound to determine if Uncle really has a kidney infection (and treating it with Baytril) as @Marje and Gracie suggested.
    Thankfully I just paid off my CareCredit bill from his dental work in March and my vet gives me a friends & family discount which is very nice of her and really helps. :bighug:

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

I tried getting information from Boehringer about a kidney drug (Semintra) that made Rover's numbers skyrocket. It tasted sweet. I didn't get very far. Boehringer will only take questions from a vet. Perhaps you could ask your vet to contact the company.

Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.
  3. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Good idea. I will put a call in to my vet tomorrow morning. Even before I started the Vetmedin to him I tried to find a number or any contact info for the company to check it out. I was a bit suspicious because it is a chewable. I got absolutely nowhere :banghead:

4. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Up, but not that much. I gave Vetmedin powder, initially mixed with chicken stock, then in gel caps. Down Uncle!

Glad he's feeling better, even if it does involve a rat. :eek: Wonder if the rat was high carb.

6. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Ha! Well he didn't eat it...just showing off. I've got an inquiry into Boehringer-Ingelheim regarding the chewable tablets, thanks to @Red & Rover (GA) !!! Thanks for checking in. Hope you have a good night.

7. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Very cool, Thank You! I just filled out and sent an inquiry form to them. Will report back when I hear anything.

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  8. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I'm glad he's feeling better! He's a supreme hunter!

I certainly don't know if the meds would raise his BG but it looks to me like he didn't a dose reduction to 0.33u. I'm glad you took him back up.

Good luck with the vet discussion. I'm sure your vet will say that Zeniquin and Baytril are the same class of antibiotic, and they are. I was more concerned with the short duration.

9. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Kudos to your lil' hunter! I guess rat was the flavor of the day!

I hope Uncle gets sorted out with his meds and his numbers start to come back down. Keeping you both in my prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

10. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

No he didn't earn a reduction. I wasn't thinking clearly -I had just gotten the results of the cardiology exam and that reduction to .33 was a mistake on my part. I freaked out because he wasn't eating much. Hopefully we'll see the .5u dose kick in soon and help counteract whatever is bringing his numbers up so high.

Pretty good for a 3 legged 17 year old diabetic cancer survivor with heart trouble!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  11. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

It is always encouraging when we see our sugar kitties return to pre-diagnosis habits! Good job on rodent control, Uncle! Now go wash your mouth out - rats carry disease! Ick!
    [​IMG]

12. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

A rat???

All three of my supreme hunters don't know what to do with an 1 1/2" mouse!.....although they're pretty good at dispatching crickets....I think a rat would send them running!!!....Oh the embarrassment .....LOL

13. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

YEAH:stop: I don't know if you remember but my other cat got lung worm earlier this year. :blackeye:

14. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Well, nothing wrong with being delicate and having someone else shopping, preparing and serving your food for you.
    I'd really like that!

15. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad Uncle is feeling good. I hope you get everything straightened out with his meds and get his numbers to come down soon. Sending prayers.

16. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

A rat??? I would have fainted! But, glad that he is feeling well enough to hunt!

Hope you get an answer soon about the med and higher BG's. Come on down Uncle.

17. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Clever boy catching a rat and of course he had to show it to you for you to admire!:cat:
    Come on down Uncle!

18. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Barbara - I haven't been around much, and glad to see an update on dear, sweet Uncle. Sounds like you have your hands full, but really happy to hear that he feels like a young man. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.