8/24 Help!Tootoo diagnosed with Pancreatitis

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tooloo, Aug 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tooloo

Tooloo Member

Just got back from vet. Tootoo diagnosed with pancreatitis, and they are keeping him for a few days. This was a new vet who is very supportive of the protocol here. She said she recommends this site frequently. So I was happy to hear that, but obviously not happy about the diagnosis. I guess it's hard to say what causes the disease, although apparently it's common with diabetic cats. She did say it's possible the change in diet was a factor because he did not have it when he was diagnosed with diabetes July 19th (other vet sent over records). Also, I read on a couple of other sites that siamese cats are more prone to it, and he is siamese.

I would love to hear from those of you who have experienced pancreatitis with your cats. I have no idea what to expect. I tried to find a link on this site on the subject, but didn't find much. I just hope he is going to be ok.

Debbie

2. Tonya & Lexie

Tonya & Lexie Member

Wish someone would reply to either of our posts. :? :sad:

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

4. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Hi Debbie,
    Can you find out the test result number for pancreatitis that Tootoo got? Why does he need to stay at the vet office for a few days? Does Tootoo have acute pancreatitis? What did your vet say, exactly?

For pancreatitis, you can treat at home with 3 things.
    1. Buprenex - you need something for pain as it's quite painful. There are many pain meds, but this one is the best for soothing pancreatitis pains.
    2. Pepcid AC / Cerenia - you need something for nausea / upset stomach. You can get reg strength 10mg Pepcid or the generic famotidine tabs, cut them in 4 and give 2.5mg twice a day... it should help to settle his stomach. He may seem like he wants to eat but the smell of food is upsetting to him.
    3. subQ fluids - you need the fluids to flush out the toxins, and so you can get a kit for fluids and give at home. You are already accustomed to shots, so you will have no problem giving fluids at home. If you have not done so before, have the vet tech show you when you go to bring Tootoo home.

When you next speak to your vet, ask about B12 injections. One of my cats had frequent, bad CP flares, but once I started giving her weekly 25u shots of B12 at home, she had no more flares..... B12 is great for inflammation. You can get a bottle from the vet and give the shots yourself.

Quite often, cats affected by pancreatitis seem to be more prone, so you may as well be prepared for the next occurrence. You will get like most people and you will recognize the signs that something's going on.
    Many cats hide which is a sign of pain, and several of the cats will sit in a meatloaf position as if all doubled over from the pain. Many seem to go 'off' their food; they may seem to have an interest but after a sniff, they turn away.

Unless your cat is suffering from an acute case of pancreatitis, there is no need for him to stay at the vet office..... he will recover better and faster if you treat him yourself at home.

Pancreatitis is pretty common issue with alot of diabetic cats, so you will have plenty of support around here and you can bring him home.... I am sure he will be happier to be sick at home than sick at the vet office!

Gayle

5. Tooloo

Tooloo Member

Larry, thanks for the link. Gayle, thanks for the advice. I've printed off both. The problem I have is that I go back to work on Monday and cannot be here with him. I'm gone all day from about 7:50 a.m. until 7: p.m. The vet told me that every single person she had treat their cat at home, ended up in emergency with the cat later. I'm sure they weren't doing exactly what they should have been doing with the cat. I'll talk more to the vet about it, but I'm concerned that if I can't be here with him, I can't help him as well as the vet can. I totally see your point about him recovering better at home though. Ugh. Wish I could be here. I will make sure I'm prepared for future, so he doesn't have to do this again.

Good news is that the vet thinks he's in remission on the diabetes and is stopping the insulin (checking numbers regularly). I hope she's right about that and not acting too soon. We'll know if numbers are back up.

Debbie

6. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Debbie,
    Bring him home. What is your vet doing that you can't do at home?
    Ask EXACTLY what is being done by the vet/tech and at what times of the day..... Pancreatitis is not an issue that required being at the vet. She is scaring you.
    My Shadoe had chronic pancreatitis and I also had to work and was away for hours like yours, and others also are away but their cats are at home. Ridiculous that the cat is needing to have minute to minute attention for pancreatitis unless he is deathly ill.
    Now, with pancreatitis, cat have HIGH BG numbers..... how come Tootoo does not?
    What was the test for pancreatitis that was done, and what was the test result number?
    Call the vet and find out.
    If the cat has non diabetic BG numbers, I don't believe the cat has pancreatitis.

For pancreatitis, you give 1/4 tab pepcid in the am, a dose of buprenex, and go off to work. When you come home, you can give pepcid and bupe again, then at bedtime, give the cat 100ml subQ fluids.
    THAT's the treatment for pancreatitis. Nothing fancy and nothing YOU can't do yourself at home.

Call the vet again and get some details what's being done.
    Gayle

7. Tooloo

Tooloo Member

Re: Gayle read this!8/24 Help!Tootoo diagnosed with Pancreat

Wow. Interesting Gayle! Before reading this post, I actually printed off your last post and took it into the vet. I told her to read it and give me her take on it (knowing you were right). She did and and her response was good. She told me she was totally willing to work with me on treating him at home. She packed up the pain medication and had me ready to go. I noticed she said nothing about the fluids. I asked her about those, and she said she would be willing to show me how to administer and send me with a pack of fluid. She and her assistant spent some time very thoroughly teaching me how to administer the fluid. So, Tootoo is home now and happy as a clam. He does have a catheter in still (just in case, the vet said) and has to wear the funny cone hat when I'm not watching him so he doesn't chew off the catheter. But otherwise, he's doing well. He ate some (not a lot but some) and is back to his usual feisty siamese self. I am SO SO SO glad I took your advice and brought him home. Also, he was going to have to be transferred to an emergency hospital because this vet was not open on Sundays, costing upwards of $1,000 for the two days they planned to have him there.

Also, the vet and another doctor in the clinic studied his spreadsheet, which I'd printed and taken in, and they said they thought it was likely he was already in remission on the diabetes and continuing the insulin was optional at this point. I think I'll continue because I think that's what the members here would do just to make sure.

As far as him having pancreatitis, I'm not sure either, but he's definitely doing better now.

Thank you Gayle and thanks to this website! And thankfully I found a vet who is willing to work with me and LIKES this site.

Oh - I did give him a small amount of dry food just to get him to eat, and he gobbled it up. Hmmm. I'm hesitant to do this because I want to keep him on wet. Is it better to give him a little dry just to get him to eat? Is this a silly question? Obviously if it was a matter of life and death, I'd give him dry.:)

Debbie

8. donaleen and Ozy

donaleen and Ozy Well-Known Member

Tooloo,

My Ozy has pancreatitis and is responding very well to B12 injections which I give him just once a week. I have buprenorphine and Cerenia for him and have not had to give him nearly so much lately. I think it is the B12, which he has been taking for about a month.

donaleen

9. Tooloo

Tooloo Member

Hi Donaleen,
    I'm glad Ozy's doing better! Did you get the B12 from the vet? This vet told me they don't do B12 injections. She was skeptical. Said they'd want to know the underlying cause of the problem first. I'm sold on supplements, and I don't see how it could harm. I just need to find out where to get it. Can I buy liquid B12 from a health food store and inject? I'd want to be certain of this before I did it.

Debbie

10. donaleen and Ozy

I did get the B12 from the vet. I said I wanted to try the B12 and they got me the vial and the syringes and talked to me about the injections. We give him the injections ourselves, once a week. The needle and amount is bigger than the insulin injection.

What do you mean be sure? Pancreatitis is a slippery disease. I think you have to try things and see what works for you cat. Treating pancreatitis is more an art than a science.
    I think the buprenorphine is also good for Ozy.

B12 info http://ibdkitties.net/B12.html

http://meowmeowmom.wordpress.com/2008/08/29/be-true-to-b12/

11. Tooloo

Tooloo Member

Ok. If my vet won't give me B12, I'll get the name of yours and go into Portland to get it.

12. donaleen and Ozy

I think we got a lifetime supply of B12. It's a big vial. You could stop by here, load a syringe and take it home, if you wanted. I don't know if it is okay to pre-load a few syringes. The B12 is light sensitive so you have to keep it in the dark.

Maybe someone else can advise on that one. I'd be glad to share my B12 if that would work.

13. Tooloo

Tooloo Member

Thanks. I would happily purchase it from you. I'll see what my vet says.

14. donaleen and Ozy

I will GIVE it to you. Compared to other stuff he is getting, it is dirt cheap.

You may need to get some syringes of the right size. I don't have that many. I would gladly give you one but if you want to get several, then please buys some syringes.

The ones I have are monoject 1 ml syringe. They gave me two needle sizes. One is a monoject 25x5/8 A and one is monoject 250.

They prescribed .25 ml injection once per week. The reading I did suggested that a bigger dose was warranted but I can't advise on that part.

I am also giving him Zobaline, which is another form of B12; that is for his neuropathy and is oral.

It would be fun to meet you. Still wish you lived down the street....

15. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

You can preload the syringes with the B-12. My shelter did that for me, 6 syringes, 1 a week for Libby's IBD issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.