? 8/25 Franklin AMPS 116, +2 113, +4 85/109

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by FranklinsMom, Aug 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FranklinsMom

FranklinsMom Member

Newbie here. Franklin hasn't had insulin all week---post office lost his box of strips for a couple of days and didn't want to shoot without testing. When I finally got the strips he has been testing below 200 and I think we aren't supposed to give insulin then, right? I dropped off my spreadsheet this morning at the vet and am waiting on a call back. I think she was going to want a curve today so I've already started that.

Just tested him at +4. Just before I poked him I had put a strip in the AT2 meter but not all the way. Got a phone call and took it. During the phone call I must have bumped strip into the meter because it started beeping. Got off phone and took test with that strip and it was an 85. Just in case something was weird because of that beep, I immediately did another test with another strip and it was 109.

I give him some a treat of sliced turkey from the deli after each test. He had breakfast at about 6:00 or so. Plan to feed him some more at about noon.

Am I okay to wait until +6 for the next test?

Thanks.

P.S. I am now swimming in extra strips so I won't have the strip issue again.

2. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Absolutely fine to wait until +6. You haven't given insulin for some days now, so he's in no danger.

Just a word of warning with deli turkey, often these products are broiled/basted with sugar, you'd be surprised how much carbs they can have in them. Don't assume that they will be low carb, I found that some cooked ham I was giving George as a treat had significant carbs in it. It was then that I swapped to freezedried treats and home made boiled chicken breast nibbles.

One question, what strips are you using in the AT2 meter???

3. FranklinsMom

FranklinsMom Member

I current am using AT2 meter strips--this batch I got off Ebay. But I just acquired some Freestyle Lite strips that I'm planning to use. I think I need to run a test at the same time comparing readings between those and the AT2 strips when I decide to use them. And these AT2 strips had a different code than my previous bottle. I did switch the code on the meter to match the one on this new bottle of AT2 strips. Thanks very much!

4. FranklinsMom

FranklinsMom Member

And thanks for info on turkey. I wasn't sure on that but had seen on here that some people give their cats deli meat as treats. This is a plain oven roasted turkey breast but yes, I don't know the ingredients so maybe not the best choice. I saw someone mention Pure Bites freeze dried chicken on here and they have those at the Pet Supermarket at my house. I have a neighbor who has a diabetic dog and she gives him pulled chicken. Maybe I will try chicken breast treats--would it be okay to bake that instead of boil? Thanks again.

5. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Hi, baked would be perfectly fine - as per Dr. Lisa. If you can get a piece of breast with bone and skin and bake it like that the meat will stay moist and smelling very appealing. I hope Franklin will enjoy it.
    99.9% of all processed meat have carbs like corn glucose or preservatives which are toxic. I'd avoid it if possible.

6. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

I stay away from all deli meats. Fritz loves Life essentials chicken I buy him both regular chicken and also chicken littles (smaller pieces for cats and small dogs). The littles do cost more , with the regular bags I just break into smaller pieces. I also buy freeze dried turkey, Bonita flakes. All of these can be bought online from Amazon or Chewy.com.

7. FranklinsMom

FranklinsMom Member

Okay. Got home a little late and he tested at 80 so I did another one just to be sure (I am a newbie) and it came in at 78. Planning to feed him one tub of Sheba Turkey Pate. I think it is okay to feed him.

8. Tanya and Ducia

Is it low carbs?

ETA: If yes it is ok to feed a little. Higher carbs can abort the cycle altogether if fed at +6. You did so well by testing the second time - I always do when numbers are "unbelievable".
    You 'll need to test again soon to make sure he stays in the safe zone.

FranklinsMom likes this.
  9. FranklinsMom

FranklinsMom Member

Yes, I think it is under 10% on Dr. Lisa's food calculator. Should I do high carb? I just got some high carb per the FAQ hypo kit this morning and honey.

10. Tanya and Ducia

No.

11. Tanya and Ducia

The AT meter number to interfere with food is 68.
    He is good and safe at 80 in the middle of the cycle.
    The LC snack will do. Test 30 min after he ate.

12. Tanya and Ducia

You do not need it right now but everyone of us must have it ready.

13. FranklinsMom

FranklinsMom Member

Yes, I read the FAQ this morning because I wanted to find the hypo shopping list. I know I need to be prepared just in case. While looking for that, I read the story of the person who accidentally overdosed her cat and the awesome support she got from here. Having just read that story, I'm just nervous. :) Thanks everyone! He and his sister are happy to have some Sheba!

14. Tanya and Ducia

Was it about my cat Ducia?! :woot::blackeye:
    Take another test 30 min after snack - the only sure way to know if he safe from Hypo.

15. FranklinsMom

FranklinsMom Member

It might have been? 5 units too much? I was reading that word for word, OMG! What an experience! I was holding my breath. And so awesome to have these people here. I can retrace my steps now to find it again. But I will later.

Will test again in 30 minutes. Thanks very much!

16. Tanya and Ducia

It was 10 units instead of 1. :eek::nailbiting:
    Certainly taught me well to be caution with doses and low numbers.
    I am sure there were others who overdosed accidentally, sadly, and I am not saying compliment when I say the Forum saved my cat.

17. FranklinsMom

FranklinsMom Member

I have learned so much from you all and from everyone's experiences, good and bad. So thankful I found this site and these forums.

Just talked to the vet. I'm going to post some of what she said to the main forum to share with all. She said I could go to testing every 4 hours if I wanted to save some strips (didn't tell her I am well stocked on Freestyle Lite's now. I will compare a test with my AT2 strips before I use those regularly and will use AT2 strips for the curve.) However, since I have you all here, time is set to test him again in 30 minutes from when he ate. And I'm going to keep with the two hour curve for the rest of the day.

Thanks so much!

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  18. Tanya and Ducia

Ok, I feel really stupid now :banghead: (and so I deserve :oops:) - I just took a good look at the SS and noticed that you didn't shoot at all? I paid atention to the numbers, didn't look at the dose.:oops: I thought you were alarmed at how low he was with 80 at +6 and didn't check the dose column. Apologies. No need to be nervous at all if he had no shot.
    Hypo won't happened if no insulin is given and no need for HC/MC food. 80 is perfect number and many non diabetic cats run naturally lower than that every day
    I think you do not need to take the test in 30 min unless you want to collect data as to how he responds to food without a shoot.

19. FranklinsMom

FranklinsMom Member

Okay, then I will go back to the two hour testing point. Yes, the post office screwed the delivery of my new AT2 strips last weekend and that has turned out to be a blessing. Because of what I have learned here from you all, I did not want to shoot him unless I knew his level. Then once I got the strips, because of what I have learned from you all, he was under 200 so I didn't shoot him then. I think he got a 203 or a 207 but I decided it was close enough to 200 so I wasn't shooting. So that post office screw up seems to be a blessing in disguise. But none of this would I have known without this awesome site!

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.