8/30 Cameron's first day

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Leah, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Leah

Leah Member

Hello! It's his first day on Lantus, and it's going fine so far. He's acting and eating normally. I was surprised not to see more of a drop, but i know the depot needs filling and I'm just so used to Vetsulin.

Definitely a learning curve taking insulin out of the pen instead of a vial - felt like i was a newbie again haha! He's been enjoying the extra treats from all the testing though! I think he thinks diabetes is just great since we found the freeze dried chicken. I was never a treat giver before this!

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  2. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome and here you'll find a ton of help with all the FD needs we all have. Make sure you check out the main page of the Lantus forum and read the yellow stickies on top, there's a wealth of information there. Also, we'll need to know which dosing method you're following the TR or SLGS - which you will read about on the main page. You'll need to pick one so that everyone can give you the information and help you need.

Leah likes this.
  3. Leah

Leah Member

Thanks! I've read the stickies probably 5 times each since he was diagnosed last month . Going with the SLGS.

4. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

I think Cameron's first cycle look much prettier than Lou's did. He stayed squarely in the pinks the first cycle and was in the pinks and yellows the two cycles afterwards. It's exciting when you start seeing some progress! Welcome to L&L land!

5. Leah

Leah Member

Thanks! You have to be pretty happy with Lou's progress though - looking good!

One question - when switching from another insulin, as opposed to starting for the first time, do you wait a full week before adjusting the dose? Or just the 6 cycles?

6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

From the SLGS guide:

Hold the dose for at least a week:
    • Unless your cat won’t eat or you suspect hypoglycemia
    • Unless your kitty falls below 90 mg/dL (5 mmol/L). If kitty falls below 90 mg/dL (5 mmol/L) decrease the dose by 0.25 unit immediately.

7. Leah

Leah Member

Yeah, i read that about 2 times in the last few hours...i just wasn't sure if it was for both types of situations. I tend to reread things too many times and then start second- guessing what the author REALLY meant. Such a joyous trait during college exams ;)

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  8. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Welcome!:bighug: Great amazing people on here!

Leah likes this.