8/5 Dive!Gussie AMPS 89,+3 35,PMPS 141,+1 154,+2 163, +4 144

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Gussie's mom (GA), Aug 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gussie's mom (GA)

Gussie's mom (GA) Well-Known Member

Agree!

2. Madrona and Leda (GA)

Madrona and Leda (GA) Well-Known Member

It's nice to have canned on hand even if Gussie normally eats raw. I use low carb canned as a ever so slightly higher carb source when I'm trying to get Leda to surf, a treat when he's being picky, food that can be left out a little longer than raw, and when I forget to thaw out his meal :banghead:.
    I also found that my local animal rescue group happily accepts donations of anything that Leda won't eat (unopened cans, and open but good bags of dry) and they share it with the local food bank for folks who are having trouble affording food for their kitties. Nice work all around.

Hope the gravy brings Gussie up a little more quickly now!

Gussie's mom (GA) and Tuxedo Mom like this.
  3. Gussie's mom (GA)

Ok this looks more like how he normally responds to HC
    +4.25 = 55
    I swear I will not make that food mistake again....sheesh

Osha and Madrona and Leda (GA) like this.
  4. Shelly & Jersey (GA)

Shelly & Jersey (GA) Well-Known Member

5. Madrona and Leda (GA)

Looking good Gus! Surf's up, you can ride this set of waves safely :D:D:D

Gussie's mom (GA) likes this.
  6. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

WHEW!!! Glad to see Gus starting back up into "happy" numbers. [​IMG]

7. Gussie's mom (GA)

HI
    Thanks! Good points! Normally he won't touch canned so will keep some of these on hand! I will donate the majority of it yo the rescue group here who I got my cats from. She helped with Gus when his folks first abandoned him. She's a small outfit and welcomes any donations with open arms as many return their cats to her when the develop health problems....

8. Gussie's mom (GA)

Got that right!!:):bighug:

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  9. Gussie's mom (GA)

10. Gussie's mom (GA)

Hope I didn't set his organs into and panic staying that low for that long and loading him up with that many carbs....

11. Gussie's mom (GA)

Can I give his ears a break and go longer than 15 min between tests at this point?

12. Tuxedo Mom

I wouldn't be surprised to see a bounce after that run of lower greens. Just hope that it is a teeny bounce

13. Tuxedo Mom

Once he is over 50 you can wait 30 minutes. Once he has held the number for 2 tests at 30 minutes each with no additional food he should be fine for the rest of the cycle

14. Gussie's mom (GA)

:(

15. Gussie's mom (GA)

Ok thanks! I'm going to grab another cup of coffee and put on some real clothes! :coffee::bighug::joyful:

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  16. Gussie's mom (GA)

Before I do that tho I want to tell you all THANK YOU SO MUCH for riding this roller coaster with Gus and I. Just FYI I got worried, mostly because he wasn't responding in the manner I know he normally does, BUT at no time did I feel panicked!!:):bighug::bighug:
    Thank you all so very much.

17. Tuxedo Mom

You did a great job with Gus!!! :bighug:

18. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Wow, A lot happened while I was at the gym. Congrats on another reduction. My go to food when Max would drop under 50 is Soukustic Triple Harmony. It's very high carb and comes in a pouch. Lots of gravy with a little tuna, chicken, and duck and available only at Petco or possibly at Amazon. It's a good idea to find a hc food Gussie loves. I find it works better than karo.

19. Jane & Boo (GA)

Jane & Boo (GA) Member

Dang.... when Guss wants to earn a reduction, he gets serious about it. Nice job... once again!

20. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Cat with appetite has figured out that low numbers equals constant food. Smart kitty.

21. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I'm glad you had lots of company and you got him up, Leslie. Congrats on the reduction!!!

22. Gussie's mom (GA)

Thanks! Will look for it. I could have SWORN the one I was giving him was a HC! WRONG,WRONG, WRONG!!!:mad::mad::arghh::arghh:
    I was so baffled, as in the past I could steer him with just LC with a few drops of HC gravy mixed in. This time nothing was happening...well once we figured out he was getting ultra low carb food and not HC it made sense. :blackeye: Just a couple TBS of FF gravy a couple of times ( plus a boatload of Karo which he probably would not have needed if I'd started with actual HC food:banghead:) and he started coming back up right away..BIG lesson learned today. I just hope I haven't put his progress toward a good pet sitter dose for next week out of whack..:(

23. Gussie's mom (GA)

Another lesson learned, know thy cat and if it doesn't seem like something he would do, look for the variable that is different sooner rather than later! :bookworm::bookworm:o_O:bighug:

24. Gussie's mom (GA)

Probably an unnecessary question but i'll be taking his insulin down .25 to 2.5 units starting tonight unless there is a reason not to! I received his message loud and clear! :)

25. Tuxedo Mom

There is no doubt at all that Gus earned his reduction today!! And you earned a huge piece of decadent chocolate. ;)

ETA: Gus was trying very hard for a reduction last night, but didn't quite make it. Today he let you know loud and clear that he wanted that deduction.

26. Madrona and Leda (GA)

Congratulations on the reduction! :D

27. Gussie's mom (GA)

Hi thank you! Actually I was wondering that myself, I was thinking he might even have dropped after I went to bed with nobody steering him..his AMPS was pretty low for him, and not much higher than when I went to sleep, making me think he may have dropped and then started climbing awhile after I went to bed. He has been known to have that double dip. He was fairly flat in the 70's with steering when I went to bed with several hours left in the cycle..I will always feel bad tho that I gave LC food and didn't help him up as early as I know I could have..,especially as he truly detests Karo! Hope he doesn't get the trots or throw it up!:nailbiting:

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  28. Gussie's mom (GA)

I think I instinctively knew that why I was hesitant to shoot the full dose this morning..I did but knew pretty surely that he was going to drop and fast!

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  29. Tuxedo Mom

It was an honest mistake and you were diligently testing. If you hadn't figure it out the worst that would have happened is a visit to the vet for IV dextrose. but luckily you got it figured out. Fingers crossed the Karo doesn't cause any digestive problems.

30. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Congrats on the reduction. You haven't done anything to make the vacation dose difficult. He earned this reduction which is a good thing. You don't want that happening while you are away. The dose will need to be decided closer to departure. As you can see a lot can happen between now and then. Gussie at least up to this point holds reductions well. Another good thing.

31. Gussie's mom (GA)

Thank you! I appreciate the support! Needless to say I have ordered new food, actual HC food! And I will be taking the LC out of my hypo kit! Poor guy!

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  32. Gussie's mom (GA)

Thanks that's good to hear. Yes him doing something like this with nobody around to intervene terrifies me, but I know I dont want him boarded again. I ordered the Soulistic triple harmony from petco. Thanks! I'm hoping this didn't affect how well his body does managing reductions..he got a LOT of carbs:(

33. Gussie's mom (GA)

Haha actually just thinking about it he really didn't get a lot of carbs if the Kato doesn't necessarily count as it is short acting..he had mostly LC! Sheesh, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!:woot::p:blackeye:

34. Gussie's mom (GA)

No! No! No vet visit!! ( Anti jinx!:woot:, Anti Jinx!:woot:) :);):bighug::bighug:

35. Gussie's mom (GA)

+6 144, and still time left..guessing I'm going to see some high numbers today....

36. Gussie's mom (GA)

I am so :bighug:grateful you caught this! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

37. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Eeeks Gussie way to give us all a kitty this morning. Congrats on the reducie. I would shoot 2.5 tonight regardless of how high he is and not mess around with shooting through the bounce with is current dose. He's not very bouncy and holding reductions. Just my 2 cents and hope you both can get a break for a few cycles.

38. Gussie's mom (GA)

Thanks Karen. Hoping as the Karo wears off and the little HC he actually got works thru his system he won't have too high a bounce tho he is already pretty high. I'm giving his ears a rest as I know the test results will be numbers that will make me sad!;) He is feeling just fine, snarled at Jett and sent him off the bed, laying stretched out like a Roman emperor after a feast!:cat::woot:

39. Gussie's mom (GA)

question: why would you normally hold the old dose thru a bounce after a drop like this? I know I should know this but can't remember where I've see this..thank you..

40. Shelly & Jersey (GA)

Glad to see Gussie stayed up. Storms knocked our power out this afternoon, and I was hoping all was well. :nailbiting:

When some cats bounce after a low, they end up skyrocketing - like to pinks and reds. In some cases, people will shoot the old dose one more time to try to help reduce the bounce and then take the reduction during the next cycle.

41. Gussie's mom (GA)

Ah thanks! That makes sense to me. I think I will take note of Karen's suggestion. Unless of course he is off the charts this after no, then I will seek help here!
    Oh wow! A power outage! That must have been some storm! Hope everybody is ok by and with you! Thanks again, stay safe!
    Les

42. Shelly & Jersey (GA)

I agree with Karen on not shooting through the bounce. Seems like Gussie is on a definite mission.

Not really. I live in a somewhat mountainous part of Arkansas, and all of the tree limbs constantly bump into the power lines and knock out the power. Since I'm originally from Kansas, where there are no trees, the trees here are a real pain in my tushy. :rolleyes::)

43. Gussie's mom (GA)

Sounds beautiful! I took a vacation to Kansas a few years ago, the people there were SO friendly! Everybody kept waving to us! We'd look around and realize that they were waving to us! Nobody there however could believe I had not come to visit relatives, that I had just come because I thought it would be a great place to visit! I loved it! So beautiful!

Shelly & Jersey (GA) likes this.
  44. Gussie's mom (GA)

+6 and +8 pretty much the same, 144 and 145. Fingers crossed he doesn't climb too high before PMPS:nailbiting:

45. Tuxedo Mom

Just to throw my 2 cents in on shooting through a bounce. When a kitty is having trouble coming up from hypo numbers IMO it is not time to shoot through the bounce. Gus was pushing for a reduction last night and either just missed or it happened during the remainder of the cycle. Today, even with the mix up with HC foods, Gus did not want to come up with all that Karo that you gave him. It really looks to me like he wants that reduction and he wants it now. I certainly expect a bounce, but my opinion would be to take the reduction anyway. I am sure others will have some more input,

46. Doodles & Karen

Just to add a little more. Shooting through the bounce is also used IMO for kitties that bounce for days and who also have trouble with holding the reduction. Neither is the case here for Gus. Others may disagree and it's always the CG's choice :)

47. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad Gussie stayed up for you. Since he was in the 30s today, I think you need to take the reduction and not shoot through the bounce. Numbers in the 30s are an automatic reduction.

48. Gussie's mom (GA)

I agree that he was ready. I myself think it happened last nite given what that cycle looked like. It was not his usual curve pattern, he always bumps up more than 10 from a +6 number. I feel good about the reduction. He is back down at 138 here at +10.5 so he's not zooming way up. I will plan to give the reduction starting tonite! I do believe I could have controlled that dive he was doing today if I had been giving him HC food from when I just caught it. That's been our working MO thru the other episodes..I'm so grateful it didn't go worse!:bighug::bighug::bighug:

49. Gussie's mom (GA)

Looks like the consensus matches what my gut says, he is ready and needs a reduction.:bighug:

50. Gussie's mom (GA)

Thank you! I agree, he's ready and due!:cat:

51. Gussie's mom (GA)

So I will go with a dose of flat 2.5 tonight! It is due in about an hour and a half. Hope he's hungry, he still looks like our family after thanksgiving dinner.....:woot:

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  52. Tuxedo Mom

I am actually surprised after Gus's big dive today that his numbers did not bounce way back up. Hopefully he will have some room left for his supper. He certainly got a good serving of "extra" food and sugar today ;)

53. Gussie's mom (GA)

In all honesty I would be scared silly to give him the 2.75 units after the fast hard dive he took.:nailbiting: That was really out of character for him. Everything about it screamed Too Much Insulin to me from the moment I gave it to him.:bighug:. Like I said, I'm pretty certain he dropped below 50 last nite and I wasn't up to catch it.o_O

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  54. Gussie's mom (GA)

I am too actually, not sure what's up with that other than he really did not get a lot of HC food because We discovered my mistake so late into the dive. He really only had maybe 2-3 Tbs actual HC gravy, but a Lot of Karo.( which did not much at all until I added the actual FF HC gravy) he is not looking too hungry at this point. I would have a giant gut ache if it were me!

55. Gussie's mom (GA)

I might push his shot 15 min later tonite to give him a little more time to get hungry!

56. Gussie's mom (GA)

OMG, I just looked down and I have eaten a GIANT bag of French fries, all by myself....:woot: Guess we both are loaded up with carbs now:joyful:

57. Doodles & Karen

Just remember tonight can be active because of the depot. Hope it's uneventful and he surfs safely.

58. Doodles & Karen

LOL, I've gained 10 lbs since February :rolleyes:

59. Tuxedo Mom

Stress eating will do that to you. When I first started the "dance" I munched rather than eating meals. Some days I couldn't figure out where all my food had gone :eek: :p

60. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Oh don't get me stated on this sugar dance and how detrimental it is to the beans well being.

61. Tuxedo Mom

I am sure we could have a thread about 30 pages long with all the effects of the "sugar dance" on the beans. :banghead: :banghead:

62. Gussie's mom (GA)

Yikes! Well perhaps I will get started on time at 6pm rather than pushing it even later...

63. Gussie's mom (GA)

64. Gussie's mom (GA)

PMPS 141, not bad! Will feed and give him the new dose of 2.5 units! Paws crossed we surf safely!!

Osha and Bobbie And Bubba like this.
  65. Bobbie And Bubba

Not bad, not bad at all!!!!

66. Tuxedo Mom

[​IMG]

Safe surfing tonight Gus!!

67. Gussie's mom (GA)

Hope that doesn't mean he's pulling an OSHA trick with that depot! (Anti jinx!:woot:)

Osha likes this.
  68. Bobbie And Bubba

Remember ECID.......

69. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Gussie, what is going on?!? You really shouldn't scare your MamaBean like that! I'm glad he is okay. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Squallie loves Twinkies! I thought he was probably the only Twinkie-eating cat around, lol. He also loves Karo, honey, maple syrup.....He has a decided sweet tooth. The first time I had to give him Karo I tried rubbing it on his gums, and we both ended up wearing most of it. If I just put a little bit in a spoon or small dish he will lick it up quite happily! He also likes a few drops added to the gravy if I need to use it. :)

70. Gussie's mom (GA)

He's eating, not heartily but he's eating his RadCat Raw turkey. Gave him the 2.5 units. Back in 2! :bighug:

71. Gussie's mom (GA)

I'm sure hoping that is the case!:woot:

72. Gussie's mom (GA)

That's funny! Who would have thought! I had a cat who loved cooked tomatoes from pizza, go figure! His litter ate stole the cheese and he went for the tomatoes! I got the leftovers!;)

Tuxedo Mom and Squalliesmom like this.
  73. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

OMG, Gussie! You really put your bean through her paces today! Little stinker! You be a good boy and surf safely tonight.

Leslie, you did an amazing job today, despite the food snafu! I agree that Gus is on a mission. Congrats on another reducie!

74. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Lol, that's hilarious! :cat:

75. Gussie's mom (GA)

Thank you so much! If he's on a mission to heal that's great by me, I just don't want him to be impatient and get ahead of himself! Slow, careful and steady I keep telling him! It really is amazing to me that I did not feel any panic, worry yes, bafflement that he was not responding to the food, yes, but not panic! Thank you all for getting me to this point!:bighug::bighug:

76. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

That's because you have learned from your past experiences and you knew that you were in control. That's wonderful! :)

77. Gussie's mom (GA)

Thank you!:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

78. Madrona and Leda (GA)

What a gorgeous orange boy he is! Well done today :bighug:

79. Gussie's mom (GA)

Thank you! That's him after his hypo Karo fest!

Madrona and Leda (GA) likes this.
  80. Gussie's mom (GA)

Thank you!:bighug:

81. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

Honey is denser, and works fast on TiTI. I syringed it once, when she was very low and I wanted fast results, . She's ok with it, even seems to like it.

82. Gussie's mom (GA)

Thank you! I will file that for future reference! I tried honey the first time he dropped fast, he hated that too! Usually knock on wood he steers really nicely with the fancy feast gravy. Not so much lo carb gravy tho!:woot: Won't make that mistake again!:oops:

83. Gussie's mom (GA)

That is a beautiful black cat in your picture! :cat:I have an all black cat and a tiny female tuxedo in addition to Gus. :cat::cat:

84. Tuxedo Mom

Just checked in this morning to see how Gus did through the night.

He did a nice blue surf through the night...looks like you will be needing :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: this morning. It will be interesting to see how he does today, considering that he did not do much of a bounce after those low greens yesterday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.