8/6 Gus PMPS 129, +1 98,+2 68, 2.5 57,+3 77,+4 76,+5 78, +6 85

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Gussie's mom (GA), Aug 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gussie's mom (GA)

Gussie's mom (GA) Well-Known Member

2. Gussie's mom (GA)

I'm a bit concerned about shooting the full amount again as this looks a lot like yesterday am. Window is closing fast, help please!

3. Gussie's mom (GA)

4. Gussie's mom (GA)

5. Gussie's mom (GA)

6. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Can you monitor today? Plenty of supplies and hc food? If so, I would shoot but I can't be around to help as I am going to a memorial service.

ETA : the 2.5 dose.

7. Gussie's mom (GA)

Yes but I just checked again and he's dropping before I even shoot and while he's eating, I'm really not sure what's going on here

8. Bobbie And Bubba

Dropping, that could be a game changer. What's the number now?

9. Gussie's mom (GA)

I'm sorry for your loss:(:bighug:

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  10. Gussie's mom (GA)

70:nailbiting:
    eTA: after some food

11. Bobbie And Bubba

Can you be off schedule? Maybe test in two hours after eating and see if you can shoot then. You can work you way back to you shot time 15 mins a cycle or 30 mins. a day.

12. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

He does have some depot left from the 2.75 dose. Since you fed you'll want to wait 2 hours and see where his is. If you can shoot the full dose off schedule great if not I'd just skip and start tonight with the 2.5.

13. Gussie's mom (GA)

83 just now after eating LC

14. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Can you shoot 2 hours of schedule?

15. Gussie's mom (GA)

Ok thank you. That is something I am comfortable with, I know we would just throw him down into the reduction range even shooting the reduced dose if I shoot this morning.im more comfortable waiting and shooting in 2 hrs. There was no way I could have stalled this morning, he was ravenous

16. Gussie's mom (GA)

Yes I can make that work

17. Osha

Osha Well-Known Member

18. Gussie's mom (GA)

Should I keep testing between now and then?

19. Gussie's mom (GA)

Seems like he is on his own unconventional schedule here!

20. Bobbie And Bubba

With not shooting he shouldn't drop to a hypo especially since he ate . I would still try to get a nadir reading just for data to see what he does with out the dose.

21. Gussie's mom (GA)

Ok thanks! May still shoot in 2 hrs. Will keep testing either way, I'm a fill in the blanks kind of person!;)
    I hope today is not too painful for you.:bighug:

22. Bobbie And Bubba

Thanks, so much for your kind words. I would probably shoot in 2 hours too so I you don't lose the momentum. Especially since your schedule will allow for it. Good luck!

23. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm not sure where the "wait 2 hours" came from but it's urban legend.

I realize you fed. Typically, with a lower pre-shot, you don't feed unless the numbers are in the 40s (i.e., "feed the 40s). I would re-test in 20 - 30 min. It's actually OK to shoot a dropping number provided you feel confident in your ability to manage Gus' numbers. If you're nervous, it's also OK to stall. There is, as Bobbie noted, likely carryover from the depot of yesterday's dose. It also helps to remember, "Shoot low to stay low." That said, you need to be comfortable with shooting low and the notion of shooting a dropping number.

While you're waiting, how about reviewing the sticky on Shooting & Handling Low Numbers so you have a feel for how to handle these kinds of situations.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  24. Bobbie And Bubba

I am glad you posted this. I started second guessing myself guiding her to shoot. I thought I remembered Jill telling me a while back that the wait 2 hours after eating was for newbies.

Gussie's mom (GA) likes this.
  25. Gussie's mom (GA)

Hi
    Thanks! Will reread that.My concern was that we had basically the same situation yesterday. He likely dropped really late in his cycle. And I shot low which by +2 he was down earning a reduction! So I wasn't sure if on the heels of yesterday's reduction he should have another reduction so soon or if it was going to push his depot ahead of him by adding more to it.
    I'm comfortable managing it, won't make the same food mistake I did yesterday.
    Will retest in about 10 minutes, that's @30 from when he ate and normal shot time.

26. Gussie's mom (GA)

Hi
    He's at 78 now after eating about 30 min ago. Should I shoot? I have plenty of supplies and can monitor.

27. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

@Bobbie And Bubba:
    I've not seen that but I may not recalling something Jill posted. Ideally, if stalling and not having fed, you want to shoot as soon as it's clear that numbers are rising.

28. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Gussie is definitely not much of a bouncer and also is getting used to normal numbers. Lucky you! When Max would hit green he would bounce to the 300-400 range. I remember Jill writing that shooting a dropping never is a gift. Let me see if I can find the post.

29. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

If it's a food spike, it's not much of one. What are you comfortable doing?

If Gussie's numbers drop, I would not reduce the dose again. You're likely seeing the influence of the depot not having caught up with the dose reduction.

Look back over Gussie's SS starting on 7/29. You're seeing very different numbers. This is a good thing. It also means you're going to need to get comfortable with low numbers. This looks like the numbers have "snapped" into place and your kitty's pancreas is on the job. It can be stressful when a cat decides they don't need that much insulin and you have to start chasing after low numbers.

30. Gussie's mom (GA)

I did feed, his numbers were dropping (98 to 70) so I fed, he had a little food bump of about 25 he eats raw only, but he is back at 78 . Should I shoot
    thank you! I'm kind of confused right about now as to what a good course of action is!

31. tiffmaxee

32. Gussie's mom (GA)

I have pet sitters starting Wednes of this coming week thru Saturday. I really don't want his depot to get ahead of him because there will not be anybody here other than at feed and shot time am and pm so he would not have eyes on and help if he decides he needs a reduction. I'm ok chasing the numbers but like I said since I'll be gone that complicates things.

33. Gussie's mom (GA)

34. Gussie's mom (GA)

Still pretty confused as to what to do here! We are now @45 min past eating and here's his BG: 81
    I am ok to shoot if it is recommended knowing he will likely earn another reduction unless it means his depot will get over full. Please weigh in!

35. tiffmaxee

I think I would shoot since you will be able to monitor provided you gave real hc food. You could pick up fancy feast gravy lovers as it's hc or even the sliced chicken and liver. I totally understand if you decide to skip though. I'm not one that likes to be off by hours as I prefer to keep Max on a schedule because he's such a creature of habit. That option is still available.

36. Gussie's mom (GA)

I could shoot now, I can stall supper and breakfast tomorrow to this time, not much later tho. He won't overfill his depot?

37. tiffmaxee

No guarantees. How about shooting a BCS dose?

38. Gussie's mom (GA)

I'd be comfortable with that if you explain again what it is!

39. Gussie's mom (GA)

Just so I understand, if I shoot today on a delayed shot, if his numbers drop I would still shoot today's dose tomorrow too?n

40. Gussie's mom (GA)

Totally confused at this point..

41. tiffmaxee

You shoot an even lower dose than his new dose. That gives him some insulin but shouldn't cause him to go low. So instead of 2.5 you would shoot 2.0 just this one time.

42. Gussie's mom (GA)

I guess my question is this since ultimately I have to make the decision and I'm too new to know fully how my options affect the insulin
    What approach will least disrupt his progress? And given that I have to be out of town and will not be able to monitor for 3 days, which approach will least encourage him to chase low numbers with nobody here to monitor him thru the cycles for 3 days?
    Is it better to skip and drain the depot? Delay and disrupt his schedule? Or to do a reduced rose to help drain the depot?
    I am losing options as I wait deciding it feels like!
    Thanks for helping educate me..

43. Gussie's mom (GA)

Ok got it. Would that be ok this late now?

44. tiffmaxee

Here is my thinking but others may disagree. If you skip and drain you may be back in this same situation close to vacation.

It's not too late for a reduced dose.

45. Gussie's mom (GA)

Ok since I definitely DOnT want this on vacation and I'm running out of time to decide here I will give the reduced dose. Thank you so much for hanging in here with me.

46. Sweet Spot

Sweet Spot Member

I know you are in a crisis mode right now - and I don't have the answers you seek. I just wanted to jump in for moral support and tell you how inspired we are by you and Amanda these past few weeks. Newbies navigating these scary waters is no easy task. You are doing so amazing, as is Amanda. Spot is nowhere near the progress of Gussie and Osha yet - and your sharing your experiences and helping us learn is so appreciated. Thinking of you as your little guy takes the fast track to a healthy future...maybe faster than any newbie can be mentally prepared for, but it is evident that you've got this! You will land him safely :bighug:

47. tiffmaxee

I wanted to answer before continuing. A day or two before you leave you will start a much reduced dose for the vacation so that you won't worry. He might be a lot higher when you return but it's only a few days. The idea will be a dose to give him some insulin but not nearly as much as you would give if monitoring closely. We don't know what that dose will be yet. What you do tonight will depend on where he is at shot time. You have the ability to move around shot time now but I think by Monday you will want to be able to stick with the time your sitter will shoot and start finding the safe dose. Sienne, Marje, Tricia, Wendy,and Amy can help with that. He may earn another reduction before that though.

48. Gussie's mom (GA)

Ok we're off and running! BFC dose of 2 units into Gus!. Now my question is do I give his pm dose 12 hrs from now? And I will go back up to the 2.5 correct?

49. tiffmaxee

You will definitely shoot 12 hours from now. If he is high you can shoot 15 minutes early and yes you would shoot 2.5 . I'd get a +1 and +2. I'd also feed a little at each test if dropping. You are doing great managing this. Max never did the quick drops in dosing and was a bouncer. He didn't hold reductions either. Gussie is doing really well. Some cats keep dropping quickly all the way to OTJ. I'm not saying that will happen but I like the odds.

50. tiffmaxee

Oh and it's BCS, big chicken.

51. Gussie's mom (GA)

Ok that is what I thought I understood! This would be so much easier if I didn't have to be out of town, and this is the second time during this dance..I so appreciate everything you all do to help, beyond words really.
    I'm ok with some higher numbers when I come back, even if they skip a shot, so long as they don't throw him into a hypo with no eyes on him. They are both vet techs do know what they are doing but he will be unattended when it's likely to happen in his cycle. I will tell them that if they can come a mid day visit If they think there's cause for concern I will cover that but don't know if their schedules allow for that..so hard.
    Will get some more tests in soon!:) Better put on the coffee!:):bighug:
    I do feel more comfortable giving him a reduced dose rather than skipping and draining the depot. He recovers from skipped shots pretty quickly but if he's on a mission I'd like to not disrupt that any more than I have to! I am SO hapoy to hear his pancreas may be starting to work again. I truly had not had any real hope that would happen!

52. Gussie's mom (GA)

I knew that, haha I'm dyslexic apparently even with short 3 letters!

53. tiffmaxee

Have you seen all my typos? When I want to type fast in the iPad I make so many it's embarrassing. It doesn't help that spell check doesn't get me. It changes correct words to incorrect.

54. Gussie's mom (GA)

Thank you So much for your kind words and encouragement, they touch me deeply:bighug::bighug::bighug:. I know none of this would be possible without you all! :bighug::bighug:Spot will get there too, wouldn't it be nice if this dance did not require so dang much patience?! :bighug::bighug:

55. Gussie's mom (GA)

Boy can I relate to that! What's up with it changing every "to" to yo???

56. tiffmaxee

I seem to type tge for the and it never corrects me. Yet if I type words correctly we battle until auto gives up.

57. Gussie's mom (GA)

Hi, one thing I found out, and it really seemed to help Gus numbers start to come down, was that feeding him only twice a day kind of kept him stuck in some higher numbers. When I understood how it's more taxing on his pancreas that way, I started feeding him a teaspoonful of LC food each time I tested. ( meaning since I test A lot, he got Lots of mini meal snacks). I guess that gave his pancreas the support it needed to start to heal. I also noticed that is when his numbers started coming down. So often this dance feels like I'm riding the bumper cars at the fair! :bighug::):bighug: Thank you again for all of the support and help!:bighug::bighug:

Madrona and Leda (GA) likes this.
  58. Gussie's mom (GA)

Haha I was thinking of myself apparently, BFC= Big Fat Chicken! Hahaha

59. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Just came by and saw the new "excitement" for today. Sounds like you had some good advice about what to do, and I won't cloud the issue with adding any more to this. Just want to send "good luck vines" and hope that Gus doesn't decide to do any major diving again today. If he does you are well practised in how to deal with it though ;) I'll check in later and see what Gus is up to.

:bighug:

60. Gussie's mom (GA)

Thank you! Sheesh he had been such a regular predictable kind of guy up to now! Maybe it's his way of making sure I never leave the house!:woot:

Carol & Murphy (GA) likes this.
  61. Gussie's mom (GA)

62. Tuxedo Mom

I hear you. I have two FD kitties and they like to "take turns" giving unexpected drops to make sure that I either don't sleep or don't go out. I swear they conspire to see whose turn it is. :banghead:

63. Madrona and Leda (GA)

Madrona and Leda (GA) Well-Known Member

Before Leda switched to raw, I found it made a big difference to make sure that he got most of his meals in the first 3 hours after his shot (otherwise he'd drop quickly and bounce); one of the things I've been enjoying about him eating raw is that it seems to work fine to let him eat a little throughout the cycle. I'm glad that lots of mini meals work well for Gussie as well.

You're doing an amazing job!

64. Gussie's mom (GA)

@Sienne and Gabby (GA) I wanted to thank you for looking over gussie's spreadsheet and for helping this morning. I am so happy to hear his pancreas is back at work. I really did not think that was going to happen. I was told early on that I would welcome green numbers, so true! Especially when I now understand it means there is a chance he will need less and less insulin! Thank you for explaining what is happening for me. :bighug:I keep learning!:bookworm: Each time I'm helped I learn how that fits with what I am reading and re-reading in the stickies.
    Thank you so much,
    Les

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
    Reason for edit: tagged menber
  65. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Okay Gus, let's keep today a little uneventful. Some excitement is okay, but to much, okay?

66. Gussie's mom (GA)

I've only fed Raw for over 15 years now, glad it's popular now because it was sure hard to get ahold of back then, mostly ground my own. I got lucky that Agus hook to it right away when he came to live here!

Madrona and Leda (GA) likes this.
  67. Gussie's mom (GA)

Yikes! Two! Hats off to you for managing them both..I keep looking at my other two and thinking what would I do if....oh man! I'm impressed!

68. Tuxedo Mom

It wasn't a conscious choice. My Tuxie boy was diagnosed about 21 months ago and it turned out he also had other health issues. I was regularly testing his (littermate) sister Maxie "just in case" and her numbers were all fine up until just under 5 months ago, when her numbers started going up and staying up. I had all the bloodwork etc done and she was fine except for needing some dental work and of course the high glucose levels. I figured the dental would "fix" the problem but that has not been the case. It is funny since both have been on home-made low carb food for 9 1/2 years, no noticeable health issues, not overweight...no "reason" for developing FD. There is obviously something to do with genetics that comes into play. But they are my "kids" so now they both get poked and prodded...siblings should always be treated the same...right!! :rolleyes:

69. Gussie's mom (GA)

We're dropping on the BCS +1 =58

70. Tuxedo Mom

I would pull out the HC at this point..that is too much of a drop at +1. Maybe put a dash of syrup in as well and retest in 20 minutes

ETA I know that the normal is not to give syrup until a kitty is dropping below 50 but given Gus's history and drop yesterday, my thought is to slow things down right at the start. Just my opinion

71. tiffmaxee

Yes. I'd give some hc too.

72. Gussie's mom (GA)

Ok, did the gravy. Let's try that and then add the Karo

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  73. Gussie's mom (GA)

Sure glad I didn't give the bug shot this morning!

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  74. Tuxedo Mom

There may be some depot carry over from yesterday morning, but I think Gus has got some new ideas on what he wants to do. Last night's cycle was a flat blue with no real big bounce from the lows yesterday afternoon. He doesn't seem to bounce as much anymore when he hits lower numbers either.

75. Gussie's mom (GA)

Ok, guess we better listen to him! :)

76. tiffmaxee

I think he is moving quickly down the dodging scale and his pancreas is kicking in!:D Exciting times.

Gussie's mom (GA) and Osha like this.
  77. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Gus slows down and surfs safely for you. I think Mary Ann is right and Gus has his own ideas.

78. Gussie's mom (GA)

I'm thinking he probably nicked down into the green during it too

79. tiffmaxee

Get on the surf board Gussie!

80. Tuxedo Mom

That is possible. He was starting to drop towards the end of the night cycle. Gus has definitely decided to change the dance steps in the sugar dance.

81. Gussie's mom (GA)

82. Gussie's mom (GA)

Gave more HC gravy

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  83. Tuxedo Mom

You could try a touch more HC gravy and retest again in 15-20.

We cross posted ;)

84. Gussie's mom (GA)

Will do! Thx!

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  85. tiffmaxee

What food are you feeding him?

86. Gussie's mom (GA)

Haha FF chicken and beef gravy lovers!

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  87. Gussie's mom (GA)

And that had better be HC or I'm going to puke

Tuxedo Mom and tiffmaxee like this.
  88. tiffmaxee

Does he like it?

89. Madrona and Leda (GA)

Come on Gussie--gravy is great, but we'd love to see you surfing :D:cat::D:cat:

90. Gussie's mom (GA)

Yes so far! Added a drop of Karo this time gave Him scant 1 tsp gravy and a drop of Karo mix

91. tiffmaxee

Test again in 20-30.

92. Gussie's mom (GA)

You got it! That will be at his +2 in essence so works out great!

93. Gussie's mom (GA)

See what I was saying yesterday? He responds well to the HC which is why I was so baffled that he was still dropping yesterday before we figured out he was only getting LC thru most of that drop!

94. Tuxedo Mom

Well you have that all figured out for today, so yesterday was just a training exercise in how poorly LC brings up numbers. In hindsight it is actually funny about the LC...only because Gus ended up being safe after all was said and done. ;)

95. tiffmaxee

Live and learn. Fortunately for Gussie you are a quick learner.

96. Gussie's mom (GA)

We're at +2
    53 with the Karo and HC gravy. Continue to give HC and Karo?

97. tiffmaxee

I would at this point. It's early and not a lot of wiggle room. Nothing to prove either.

Good this is happening now so her vacation dose can be figured out. She might get a reduction or two before then.

98. Gussie's mom (GA)

Hi
    I opted not to between the last test and this one, afraid he will fill up and if he takes a dive once the Lantus kicks in I wanted some food room! He's holding right at 53 for the last hour without food for the last 30 min. He has a ways to go before nadir so fingers crossed! Reduction or two before Wednesday sounds incredible! ( and scary)!

99. Madrona and Leda (GA)

Nice deep surf you've got going on there Gus! Just be sure to head closer to shore if you see sharks :D:cool::cat:

100. Gussie's mom (GA)

Gave some HC gravy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.