8/6 PMPS 140 - didn't shoot

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tooloo, Aug 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tooloo

Tooloo Member

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=101595

Good evening (if you are on the west coast), otherwise, hello.:) I was gone all day today so didn't get to check him during the day. I did give him injection this morning of 1.25. My husband was here for a few hours mid day to check on him. He can't draw the blood because of vision issues, but he can at least check out his appearance. He looked fine with no signs of hypo.

Tonight he was at 140, so I did not shoot. If I recall advice I've seen given, I should check again in a couple of hours and maybe give him a partial dose? I'm gone again tomorrow, so I would rather give him a dose tonight, hopefully have his numbers down, and skip the dose tomorrow. My daughter will stop in and check on him briefly tomorrow but can't stay. I won't be able to show her how to draw blood before then, but again, she can at least observe him mid cycle.

I'm very happy about his numbers staying relatively low. I wish I could be here every day and monitor more frequently. I feel very good about the advice given here - the strict regulation protocol as you call it - you've all proven it's workability. I'm doing my best to follow.:)

One of you asked about the weight. Two years ago he was over 17 lbs. (Ideal weight 12-13 lbs.) One of the things I noticed recently, when I first noticed the frequent drinking and urinating, was some loss of weight. At the vet about 2-1/2 weeks ago, when he was first diagnosed, he weighed 15.8 lbs. He weighs 15 on my scale now, rounding to the nearest .5. Is that too much too fast? I don't know how fast he went from 17 to 15.8 because I hadn't been weighing him.

Ok. I'll check him again tonight and maybe shoot a reduced dose. I'll check other threads to see where I saw this addressed if I don't hear back from someone.

I have to mention, he looks and acts better than he has in quite awhile. He seems younger.

Thanks everyone!

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

When you get a low number you can
    - retest right away to see if its meter variance or test strip issues.
    - stall 30 minutes without feeding and re-test. If safe, shoot.
    - give a reduced dose so it doesn't go too high by the next shot time.
    - shoot and monitor intensively to make sure it doesn't go too low, intervening with gravy or karo syrup if it heads below 50 mg/dL.

3. Tooloo

Tooloo Member

Thanks. Well, before I read your answer, I retested and he'd bounced up to 301 - highest in awhile. So I went ahead and gave him his 1.25 usual dose. Problem is, I gave it 2-1/2 hours later than usual. I did feed him a little more first. Since it was so late, it throws off the morning dose if he is still testing high. I have to leave shortly after the time for his usual morning dose. Any suggestions? If he's low? If he's high? In the middle? Keep in mind I won't be here tomorrow to test him, so I want to be extremely cautious.

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Easiest option is to skip the dose and get back on track in the evening.

Otherwise, shot time changes for lantus are 30 minutes maximum per day or split it 15 minutes per shot.

Some folks with a lot of data for the cat may choose a token dose just to keep it from zooming up by the next shot.

5. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

If you are interested in the tight regulation protocol, we have a board dedicated to it. I was going to recommend you join it soon anyway. Its a great sense of community and there are quite a few members there with a ton of experience who can really advise on dose etc.

For now though, have you read the sticky on the protocol? http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1581

Also do you think you can get some mid cycle day tests in? You should try and check out how low this dose is taking him.

Wendy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.