8/9 Tibbs HELP amps 352 +5 64

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by tibbs5, Aug 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tibbs5

tibbs5 Well-Known Member

Hi Claudio - saw you were on this board- also sent you a pm
    yes his pmps was 353 so i am relieved. I shot him 1.25 instead of 1.5 just because he went so low. Is that normal to have such extreme readings?
    as you said something may be kicking in but i thought lantus was supposed to be sort of semi-flat. this is wild swings. Thank you so much for your help.
    what do you think i should do?
    Nadine

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Nadine!

First, good job keeping Tibbs safe earlier...looks like he's bouncing now. I'm glad you decreased tonight because it looks like you've been increasing in .5 unit increments. We only recommend going up in .25 unit increments. As you saw, a tiny bit of insulin can make a big difference!

Next, it's really important that you get some tests in on the PM cycle. At least a "before bed" test. Most cats go lower at night, and it's possible Tibbs is going lower at night and then "bouncing" back high by morning. Getting that "before bed" test is also important so if it looks like he's going to go lower, you can set an alarm to wake you up to get another test in later in the cycle.

I'd go ahead and hold this 1.25 unit dose for awhile and get more tests in if you can. We like to see at least 4 tests per day...the 2 Pre-shot tests, and a test somewhere between +5 and +7 on the AM cycle and that "before bed" test on the PM cycle.

We want to keep Tibbs safe most of all...then work on getting his numbers better

Lantus can give beautiful cycles, but it takes time to learn how your cat reacts to both food and insulin. We often say this is a marathon, not a sprint, so you just have to hang in there and give it the time it needs, as well as testing as much as you can so you can start learning how Tibbs is reacting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.