800petmeds and methimazole?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by knolet, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knolet

knolet Well-Known Member

Sorry, kind of long. started out with a question but includes a bit of a vent too ;-)

Just curious whether anyone has ordered Methimazole from an Internet pharmacy like 1800petmeds? My civie Smokey has to take it for hyper-thyroidism, and the vet is charging me quite a bit more than 1800petmeds.

I asked our vet for a written prescription, but got a lengthy email instead about how I can't trust that the medication will be right, the manufacturer won't guarantee it if not sold by the vet, Smokey may have problems (and they will be there when she does), etc. then the email went on about how their prices are higher so that they can stock their pharmacy and offset the costs of their services... Otherwise the cost of a visit would be equal to a human doctor.

It then went on about how they need to know what meds Smokey is taking so that they can tell if something won't work well together, and that they want to be able to monitor how she is doing on the meds. This got me mad. I practically had to beg them to see Zeus when he was first dx, and with Smokey, they have only done one blood test before starting the methimazole and when I complained about symptoms the vet just said to cut the dose in 1/2. I asked if they wanted to monitor or do another blood test to be sure it was the right dose... They said no, we could see her in a year and test then. grr_red

Sorry this was so long... But I would be curious to hear if anyone has ordered through an Internet pharmacy, and whether there were any problems.

Thanks in advance,
    Kathie

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I get mine for Lightning for:
    http://www.thrivingpets.com/index.php/methimazole.html
    I get the 100 10 mg and quarter them.
    Strange about the testing. I just brought Lightning back about a month after starting treatment to see if dose was right. It was and it was still right a year after.

3. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Like Larry I used to get the 10mg tablet and quarter them but I bought mine from a human pharmacy, Walgreens. Would your vet let you buy from a regular pharmacy. I think it cost about $30 for the script but since we quartered the pills it lasted a long time.

4. knolet

knolet Well-Known Member

Thanks Larry and Jennifer... I think the vet would be more accepting of a human pharmacy. I will call around tomorrow, and try again. Thanks for the advice,
    Kathie

5. Denise & Honey

Denise & Honey Well-Known Member

Look at the hyper-T yahoo group: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/feline-hyperT/

They are really good at dosage questions - they have a start low approach which is usually 1.25 twice per day.
    Vets often start higher but some cats have crashed on the higher levels.

My cat Monster was dx with hyper-T in November.
    To get the dose right, you have to have blood work done at the vets every 4 weeks - we took Monster 3 times for blood work and his T4 results got worse each time, although the methimazole was increased.
    He also suffered with the drug side-affects: vomitting and scratching so bad he had lesions on his face, ears and throat.
    He had the I 131 treatment 3 weeks ago and we go back for blood work to see if its worked next week - but he seems much improved :D

Most cats don't have a reaction to methimazole, just pointing it out because it does happen to some.

6. Sandy and Brie

Sandy and Brie Member

I've used Roadrunner online pharmacy and my vet does trust them. I think they are in Arizona. I've also used Thriving pets for various supplies. Both are good.

Sandy

7. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

8. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I love 800petmeds! I have used them for all kinds of prescriptions including methimazole. The great thing with 800petmeds is, if you find it at any validated pharmacy online or in person cheaper - they will price match! just need to call them and they will take care of it. If you look at their webpage they have the vet pharmacy credential on it - the drugs are real, even generic and trustworthy as far as I'm concerned.

By ordering online - you can order through this site and give them a discount as well as ebates and give yourself a discount, etc.

And when you talk with them via phone - they ask by name how your pet is doing today. They sound caring and are very customer service oriented.

Delivery is pretty quick too. AND if you need to return a purchase - they will refund you ......what other pharmacy, including your vet will do that....

And a really cool thing - I "liked" them on facebook, and they have contests all the time on there and I won one - I had a choice of dog or cat wellness kit - it included - vitamins, nip, treats, ear cleaning solution and a few other items. It was really cool.

the only thing they don't get right and I said something about it - when your package arrives, they always including a doggy biscuit treat! Well, I don't have a doggy and asked if they would include kitty treats instead.....still waiting on the outcome on that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.