81-Callie's all time low

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Callie & Patches, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

I came home to test Callie and was rewarded with this new low test, I'm wondering if I should lower her dose back to 5u. She is so much more active and happier. I just worry about going too low.

2. Callie & Patches

Her +10 test was 242.

3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

How many hours after the dose did Callie get the 81?

Mogs

4. Callie & Patches

It was +6. It is on her spreadsheet. I just wonder if she was lower an hour earlier. I really get nervous when she gets low numbers. I am so afraid of her going Hypo. I set my alarm to wake me up at 1 AM so I can check on her.

5. Critter Mom

With Vetsulin there is a possibility that she may have been lower earlier in the cycle because it really kicks in with its lowering effect early in the cycle, and nadir is often around +3 or +4. With such a harsh insulin I think it's a good idea to leave a bit of a safety margin so that when you see nadirs in double digits (especially on an Alphatrak meter) it might be an idea to discuss a small dose reduction with your vet. In the interim, I'd suggest getting +3j tests on AM and PM cycles as often as you can and if Callie's regularly going into low numbers I'd recommend testing at +2 so that you may possibly get an early warning of where the cycle is heading and then do further tests as indicated by the BG levels for the cycle in question.

Mogs

6. Callie & Patches

I did a curve yesterday and I can do another on Thursday. I will be gone most of tomorrow. I could give her a smaller dose.. My DH will be here, but he won't test. He would call the vet if she doesn't act right. He knows too rub honey on her gums.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  7. Critter Mom

Just had a look at the spreadsheet. That 75 last night is very close to the lower end of the normal range. The pink AMPS this morning could possibly be due to a bounce off that lower number last night. If Callie were mine I would exercise caution with her dosing. Again, I recommend that you let your vet know about the numbers and discuss a possible dose reduction. If at all possible for you, I think it would be helpful - and safer for Callie - if you could get a 'before bed' test every night (at +3 if you could manage it, but definitely at +2). Other members may have additional/different suggestions for you.

Mogs

8. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

no advice just a hug!
    and you have the expert advice of Mogs:bighug::bighug:

9. Callie & Patches

I have been testing her at +2, just before going to bed. At+5, I have to set my alarm for 1 in the morningto test her again. Then, I have to get up again at 5 to walk the dogs. I don't get those put into my SS until later on the day when the computer is on. I guess I could change the alarm to 12. Either way, I never get enough sleep for an eldely, disabled person. Tomorrow I will give Callie a smaller dose because I will be out of town for some Dr. appointments.

Her +2 numbers were 123.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  10. Callie & Patches

Her +3Was 103.

11. Callie & Patches

I will take in my records to the vet Thursday. I have to get some more DM food. I will lower dose to 4.5.

12. Callie & Patches

Thank you for all the good advise, Mogs. I really appreciate it.

13. Callie & Patches

70. at +5, 103 at +5.75. I can sleep for a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.