89BG Now what?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Shellcat, Feb 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shellcat

Shellcat Member

I can't believe my eyes. Mr.'s AMPS is 89... Now what? I gave him his treat for the poke, but do I feed breakfast or delay? I usually give him his shot while he eats, because he'll disappear afterwards.

2. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

1) re-test immediately (in case it was a bad strip)
    2) if still low, stall for 30 minutes: don't feed, re-test after the 30mins are up to see if it looks like he's going up.

3. Nan & Amber (GA)

Couple of questions while we wait out the stall: does Mr. Moonie have any history of ketones or DKA? If he's gone up enough after 30mins for you to be comfortable shooting, are you able to monitor all day, with plenty of supplies (strips, high-carb food, honey)?

4. Shellcat

Shellcat Member

No keytones or DKA. It's been 30 mins since 1st test. He's at 76. I have to leave in 3 hours.

5. Nan & Amber (GA)

OK, I would recommend you skip this morning in that case. These are great numbers for Moonie, and maybe in the future you'll be able to shoot numbers like this with Lantus, but this is currently uncharted territory for him, and we can't guarantee that we'll keep him safe today.

Let him have his breakfast, test again in an hour or two just to make sure he's not still going down (even though you didn't shoot, he's got a big Lantus depot from the 2.5U dose he's been getting).

Exciting to get into green after all that time in red and black early on! Way to go Mr. Moonie! :D :D :D

6. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

oi I remember those days! Scary huh? I'm no way an expert but thats awful low to be shooting insulin. Since you have to leave, I would skip the shot. Hopefully more experienced people will be here to advise. Hang in there!

Nan & Amber (GA) likes this.
  7. Shellcat

Shellcat Member

Thank You for the assist. Now I have to re-set the alarm so he hears the birds chirping and knows it Breakfast Time!!:nailbiting:;):D

Nan & Amber (GA) likes this.
  8. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

How was his appetite? Do you leave some food out overnight for him to eat? And then made sure to take any food away for 2 hours before your pre-shot test this morning?

That BG of 89 this morning means that Mr. Moonie likely dropped very low overnight. Possibly into hypo territory. Cats can be more sensitive to insulin if they have fallen really low with their BG levels.

You need to consistently get a couple of PM tests, after the pre-shot test you do. To help keep Mr. Moonie safe. If you don't get those PM cycle tests, you are missing half your data.

Many cats go lower with the blood glucose levels at night, because they are more active then.

Even using the SLGS Lantus dosing protocol, you are holding the dose for too long. You may want to seriously consider posting in the Lantus ISG for help.

@Nan & Amber (GA) Moderators have been looking to have location information removed from profile signatures. Ok to have it buried in your user profile. Simply not in your all too visible signature. Hackers.

9. Shellcat

Shellcat Member

I give him frozen food & water cubes usually between 3-5 in the a.m. I always make sure it's gone by 7 and his AMPS is at 9.

10. Deb & Wink

Mr. Moonie earned himself an automatic dose reduction when he fell <90 BG at the AMPS this morning. Per the protocol. Skipping this morning makes it a bit more complicated. Since the insulin "depot" with lantus will have drained a bit.

From the SLGS protocol
    Hold the dose for at least a week:
    • Unless your cat won’t eat or you suspect hypoglycemia
    • Unless your kitty falls below 90 mg/dL (5 mmol/L). If kitty falls below 90 mg/dL (5 mmol/L) decrease the dose by 0.25 unit immediately.
    Bolded text in larger font is my doing.

11. Deb & Wink

Looks like you have posted over in the Lantus ISG once, but not consistently.
    Need Advice

You may seriously want to consider posting over there, on a regular basis.

When you get up at 7 am to make sure Mr. Moonie's food is all gone, could you do a BG (blood glucose) test then?
    It would be a +10 for the PMPS cycle for the day before. Goes on the SS (spreadsheet) in the +10 column for the previous day.

Do you understand?

Then test again, at your normal pre-shot test time. Doing those 2 tests would give you a better idea if Mr. Moonie is going up or down with the BG levels and give you a heads up that you may need to stall or skip the shot.

12. Shellcat

Shellcat Member

Okay. I understand those instructions. I am currently away from home. Right before I left, +4 was 163. I should be able to get another test before his PMPS as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.