8mm needles too short????

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Skunky's Mom, Aug 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skunky's Mom

Skunky's Mom Member

Hi all. I was very excited about using my new syringes with 1/2 unit markings. As I was not feeling too good about my guestimation.

Until I pulled off the cap and see this tiny, tiny short needle. Grrrrr. It's 8mm (that's what the box says) and I'm just afraid it is not long enough.

I just gave Skunky her shot. It felt weird, not like the other shots (all 3 of them. . . ;-)
    I made sure her fur wasn't wet afterwards, but I worry that it didn't go all the way through her skin maybe? She's a big fatty and there's not a lot of loose skin anyway.

Thoughts? Does anyone use these things? I'm so aggravated with the people at WalMart who sold them to me. I asked about needle gauge but didn't think at all about length. Luckily they were cheap, but still, I'd like to be able to use them.

2. MollynSkooter

MollynSkooter Well-Known Member

The ones I have right now are 8mm, and the ones I had before this was actually 6mm, so I think you are fine....you just need to get used to the feel of it being different....

I cannot remember who suggested it on here, but it worked for me....I try now to push needle in, wait 5 seconds then push insulin in, wait another 5 seconds and take needle out, and I think it helps me make sure the insulin has gotten in and I haven't done a dreaded furshot....

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The 8 mm (5/16 inch) are fine and I use those as well as the shorter 6 mm

4. Skunky's Mom

Skunky's Mom Member

Ok thanks y'all!

Phew! I was worried for a minute.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.