? 8week old Civvie kittens have diarrhea.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Liz & IttyBit, Sep 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liz & IttyBit

Liz & IttyBit Member

Hi all, haven't been on in quite awhile. Ittybit is doing great as are the civvies.
    Now we have something new to worry about. We are taking care of 3 orphaned kittens until they can be placed for adoption. They are about 8 weeks old now. Just over a week ago they got really sick. Of course it was the start of the weekend and by the time we got them in to the vet on Monday they were in really bad shape. They were diagnosed with Giardia and round worm and given Albon and Strongid. They are done with the Albon and they get their second dose of Strongid tomorrow. They were doing great, maybe not eating as much as I would like but they were playing again and their stools actually had some shape to them. This morning one had a pudding like stool and I'm panicking. I had been mixing some canned pumpkin in to their food until yesterday. I stopped because they didn't seem to be eating all that well and I thought maybe they didn't like the pumpkin. I'm going to start that back up as well as the pedialyte.
    My question is about slippery elm bark. Can I give it to kittens this young and if so in what form, syrup with a syring or powder mixed in their food and how much?
    Thanks in advance for any input. This is my go to place with any questions because you guys are all awesome.

2. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I have never used it on kittens. My suggestion is to call the vet to see if they can prescribe something. That is what I usually have to do when I have a litter of kittens with diarrhea. The stuff they prescribe usually clears it up within a couple days.

Liz & IttyBit likes this.
  3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Might be an idea to ask the vet whether the kittens need their B12 levels checked.

Mogs

Liz & IttyBit likes this.
  4. Liz & IttyBit

Liz & IttyBit Member

I called the Vet and she said to try plain yogurt, said she didn't have anything to give kittens that tiny. So we are doing the canned pumpkin, pedialyte and greek yogurt.

5. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Gizmo was a bit older (maybe 3 months) when he got Giradia. What a nightmare.

It is a waterborne organism so if the kittens are outside it could be a reinfection. What stopped the diareaha was black walnut extract. I added it to his dry kibble and let it absorb into it before I fed it to him. Maybe 1/8 teaspoon on 10 or so kibbles. I didn't measure it just put about 6-8 drops on the food. It also seemed to make his tummy feel better.

This was recommended by my vet at the time (fwiw). Check with your vet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009SQH82/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3V3WY2JE6AY2V

Liz & IttyBit and Critter Mom like this.
  6. Liz & IttyBit

Liz & IttyBit Member

Thanks for the info Lizzie, I'll definitely look into it. Waiting to hear back about a second stool sample we took in for testing. Hopefully it will be negative for Giardia.
    I had a Gizmo too many years ago, we called her Giz. :)

7. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

How are the kitties doing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.