9/1 Tomcat AMPS 116, PMPS 123, +2=54, +3.5=46, +4.5=67

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by tomtom13, Sep 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomtom13

tomtom13 Member

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=103018

Happy Sunday eve all:

Well, I finally have a question. I read and post on other condos daily, but I never feel like I should post my own values unless I have a question.....but I need to start being more frequent as I want you all to "know" Tom a little better for when I do have questions....

My problem is knowing what carb percentage I should be feeding lately. The less insulin Tom is getting ...the less carbs he needs to climb out of the 40s. It wasn't too long ago, I wouldn't hesitate to open up the 18% gravy at any number around 50...but now I reserve that for 30's. But perhaps, I am wrong with this approach. I don't want to be careless.

For example: tonight at plus 2 he was 54. So I debated a long time on what % of carb I should feed him. I decided on 10 %. When I retested later...he was 46. Again, I debated ........so I stuck with what was open: 10%. And then I worry that is too much carb and he will shoot sky-high!!! what to feed and what not to feed...... :?:

Am I doing the right thing by trying to feed him the lowest carb possible to do the job? I hate to ruin a good cycle...but then again.....???????? we never talk about the liver very much.....it is "bad" to allow the liver to freak out?

And lastly, my second question is regarding liquid Orbax. Tom is on Orbax for a UTI (bacteria and WBC) ......when the vet prescribed this med he said Tom would be on it 10-14 days and he wasn't sure of the dosage at the time. When I picked it up (after shopping around the entire town of Omaha to find some!!!) that vet said she only doses for 10 days 1 cc. But she said that my vet said 14 days 1.25 cc. She kinda gave me a "look" like she was right and my vet was wrong. Since some of us have had some problems with our vets......let me ask you all:

if you have ever given liquid Orbax....what was the length of time?

I hate to over-kill, so to speak. Even though, I do have him on 1/3 Re-new 2xday.......

Thanks everyone.... i hope you are all safe and sound this weekend.

~Kelly

oh....and since I have you: I am not going to give Tom his reduction as this is the old depot talking tonight right?

2. Amy & Papaya (GA)

Amy & Papaya (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Kelly! My understanding with carbs is that you want to use the lowest one that does the job - but that varies with every cat. If you are now finding that the 10% is what works, then that`s good. If it doesn`t seem to bring him up enough, then reach for something higher.

And the liver . . . every cat may be different, but with Papaya it seems to be the initial drop that Mr. Ninja Liver objects to. If she plunges down from a high number, it`s going to freak out no matter what happens after that first drop, even if she never goes dangerously low or even if I keep her surfing at a nice level. So my feeling would be that giving higher or lower carbs once you are already at a low number isn`t really going to change the liver`s response, because by going low initially what`s done is done. You want to try to keep the cat in numbers that are low enough to not stress organs like their kidneys, but high enough to be safe, and the liver is going to do what the liver is going to do. But that may be just how my cat reacts.

I've been missing your posts (even while I was on holidays I was checking). Feel free to post (if you have time) even when you don't have a question, sometimes even the "boring" days add to the overall picture of how he's doing. Hopefully you`ll get some more answers to your questions but it may be a bit slow since it`s a long weekend!

3. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I agree with Amy. If the 10% works, then use it; if it doesn't, try something else. As you found, you might have to give it twice.

When I'm trying to decide whether to give 5% or 10%, I look at the drop because I know the 10% will stop the drop and the 5% works best to just keep her surfing once the drop is stopped. If I don't grab the 10% when she's dropping, I'll have to feed twice the 5% to get her stopped. I'd rather give a little more 10% one time, followed by 5% for surfing then to give 5% four times just to slow her down, stop her, and get her to surf. Does any of that make sense or perhaps it's just Gracie and me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I also find the same thing as Amy; if I can keep Gracie from taking a big or fast drop, she might bounce but she bounces in blue. If she takes the mother of all dives, she's going to bounce much harder than she does when she goes low.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.