9/11 Frodo BG - 55

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by daysquid, Sep 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daysquid

daysquid Member

First reading

8:53am EST: 55

2. Shelly & Jersey (GA)

Shelly & Jersey (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 9/11 Frodo BG#

Here's the link to your post from yesterday: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=125064. I'm just providing it so others can click on it if they want to see what happened yesterday. (I'll also put the link to this new post in your old one. That way, people who go to your old post to see how you guys are doing will be able to "find" you.)

What a wonderful start to the day! That number is perfect for kitties who are not on insulin. Frodo may still have some insulin left in his body from the depot, but you haven't given a shot for almost 24 hours, so the Lantus is slowly working it's way out of his body.

*Edited to add correct link.

3. daysquid

daysquid Member

Excellent news! Smiles all around here. We were hoping for a good report. Thanks!
    And Thanks for the links and redirect to this post. I would have never known how to do that.
    And just wet food today.

4. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

Hi! Frodo's looking great! that little rise to the 130's yesterday was either a mini-bounce or the effects of the dry food earlier. In any case, I want to give you our "off the juice" instructions. Sometimes people disappear, and it's important you know how to care for him after this.

Someone earlier said that cats who've had very low numbers, like Frodo, can be extremely sensitive to insulin afterwards. Keep that in mind if you ever need to give him insulin again. Smaller doses do more.

For now, I'd continue to withhold shots. Let's call this a "trial" and see how he does for the next little while.

Good luck, Ann Meade! You've dodged a bullet and might be one of the lucky families whose cats remain diet-controlled. I surely hope so, for both of your sakes. :D

5. daysquid

daysquid Member

Thank you for instructions for this test period. When you say normal test times -- what exactly do you mean.
    New test: 73 at 10:45.

6. Shelly & Jersey (GA)

I was in the middle of a post to you this morning when we lost power at work. :YMSIGH: Glad to see Julie was able to give you some OTJ instructions, though.

That would be at the times when you would have given the insulin - 10:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. Just check around those times each day (the times don't have to be exact) for the next couple of weeks.

If you'll keep posting updates of the numbers here, we'll be able to help you if there are any concerns (like the numbers trending up). Please do keep checking in with us, at least every now and then. We definitely want to know how Frodo is doing.

7. Tara & Buster

Tara & Buster Well-Known Member

Wow! What a day yesterday! Great job everyone - I love the people here! Hope Frodo continues to show you good numbers without the joos. You're doing a fantastic job with him!

If you go back to your very first post and click on edit, you can add that first awesome 55 to the subject line

8. daysquid

daysquid Member

Yesterday was quite the day. Unbelievable team with lots of warmth -- and I never really understood the importance of telling people "good job" -- it really provided a comfort and it really stood out when I read the posts. A lesson that I will always remember from the people on this board.

I am absolutely not going to disappear and will be posting his tests during this "trial" period. The vet said to test at 9 (before food), and then pull food at 10, and then test at 10:30. And then to repeat this in the evening and then to do a midday test. So i think we will do this until Monday and then go to twice a day. WHAT RANGE SHOULD WE BE HOPING FOR?

9. julie & punkin (ga)

there is no longer any reason to pull his food. you can test at 9am/pm, and then if he's over 100, feed him a bit and retest in 3 hrs. you're looking for the test 3 hrs later to hopefully return back under 100.

Normal numbers for a cat not on insulin is anywhere from 40ish to 120ish. On insulin, we keep cats above 50 so there is a safety margin, but i've seen cats test in the upper 30's, even, when they are off of insulin (OTJ.) As long as you're seeing mostly everything under 100, Frodo's doing fine. :D

You did do a good job yesterday - kept your cool, listened to advice and kept coming back to give us updates. well done! :D

10. daysquid

daysquid Member

Thanks for the continued support and direction.
    New Reading at 10pm EST: 73

11. julie & punkin (ga)

12. Shelly & Jersey (GA)

Beautiful! Thanks for keeping us updated. We're all rooting for you and Frodo!

:RAHCAT​

13. daysquid

daysquid Member

We have great cheerleaders!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.