9/11 Uncle AMPS HI, +2 442, +4 385, +8 274, +11.5 193, PMPS 192, +2 182

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Barbara & Uncle (GA), Sep 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Barbara & Uncle (GA) Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/9-8-uncle-back-from-vet-visit.183650/#post-2038313

Uncle seemed to have a good day yesterday. He felt pretty bad on Friday and Saturday after the drainage procedure, I could tell he was in pain. The vet said he could feel bruised for a couple of days.
    Yesterday it seemed like he felt better and his RR was normal again and his breathing wasn't as labored. Today is a bad day for him. He seems really shut down. His BG sky rocketed last night to 508 at PMPS +2 and this morning it read "HI" on the Arkray Glucocard that means over 600. I gave him a dosecrease to .75
    I don't know if it's fair for me to try to keep him here much longer. If he can't string together more than one or two good days it really isn't much of a life. I'm not sure why his BG is so out of control.
    I guess I would like help tonight deciding what a good/safe dose for him will be. PMPS is in an hour.
    Thanks everyone :bighug:

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

How is his appetite today? Or can you assist feed him? 0.5 u got him to 78 a few days ago.

3. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Appetite is not good. He's probably eaten about 2 tablespoons of food today total. I've put bonito flakes and freeze dried chicken on every meal. He'll seem interested but then just trails off. I gave him ondansitron 3 hours ago, hoping that will help with his PMPS meal.
    Yes, that 78 surprised me. He had been running high on that .5u dose but I was scared to increase because of his appetite.
    Maybe I should have stuck with the .5 this morning but his "HI" reading freaked me out. I'm questioning everything right now, especially my own judgement. I really need guidance.

4. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Still dropping at +11.5

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Back to 0.5 then. Neko had high numbers when she had heart/breathing distress, but dove back to green overnight once she felt better.

Sending appy and feel better vines.:bighug::bighug::bighug: I used Cerenia plus ondansetron with some success. They target different nausea receptors. Can you assist feed?

Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.
  6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Try finger feeding anything he might like.

7. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

I can water down food and syringe it into hid mouth if needed, yes.

8. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

I have been doing that if holding the bowl up to his face doesn't get him going. Usually the problem is his appetite wanes after about a tablespoon.

9. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

OK, I'll go draw up a .5 dose and try to find some food he can't resist!
    His breathing IS WAY BETTER since the drainage giving him .15 ml furosemide b.i.d.
    Today I saw him "meatloafing", so not sure if he's still sore or something else doesn't feel good.

10. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

:bighug:

it's frustrating getting them to eat.

baby food?
    lunch meat ( i had a cat who went crazy for cheap pastrami)
    scrambled egg
    fried chicken ( fast food kind) peel off the skin
    cheese
    human tuna

11. tiffmaxee

Baby food is pretty easy to syringe. :bighug:

12. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending appy and feel better vines.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

13. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Carla gave me a list with some of those things on it. I will go shopping tomorrow

14. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Good idea. I looked for Beechnut Turkey or Chicken but none of the stores had it, only the Gerber's brand. I seem to recall there is something in Gerber's that some people on the board try to avoid. Hmm.

15. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Thanks for the well wished Bron :bighug:

16. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

I fed Uncle Nature's Variety Instinct Original Chicken at PMPS meal. He ate a pretty good amount (for him right now). It's 7% carb and over 200 phosphorus but I can't be too picky right now. His kidneys are at the bottom of the priority list for now. :blackeye:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  17. Taffysmama

Taffysmama Well-Known Member

The Gerbers has cornstarch, which is not desirable, but ok in a pinch. The Beechnut you should find at WalMart & Ralph's if you have those nearby. I just make my own by lightly simmering a chicken thigh in some water until cooked, then I put in my blender with the liquid and pulverize, add more water if needed.

My heart goes out to you, Barbara! I'm so sorry that Uncle is struggling and I send hugs and vines and prayers.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

18. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Thanks Julie, I'm sorry I haven't checked in on you and Taffy much the last few days.
    Does the cornstarch mess with there BG and/or give tummy issues? We don't any Ralph's up here and I'm not even sure where the closest Walmart is, but I'll do a search.

19. tiffmaxee

Gerbers has corn syrup in it but it's low carb. None of mine liked Beechnut but loved Gerbers ham a lot. All liked turkey and beef too. You want the all meat 2nds.

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  20. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Mine didn't like the Beechnut but loved Gerbers. I never felt that the cornstarch was an issue, but some cats are sensitive to corn.

Sending mega vines for Uncle and lots of :bighug:s for you. I know how hard this is.

21. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

22. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope you can find something that gets Uncle eating. I'm glad he is breathing better. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

23. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Hugs and prayers for you and Uncle. I hope you find something he loves to eat what ever that may be. It's more important they eat then what they eat IMO. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

24. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Barbara, I'm so sorry that Uncle is still feeling unwell. Have you tried the Liver Shake for him? Bone broth is also good for kitties that aren't eating well. Keeping both you and Uncle in my prayers! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

25. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

OK, good to hear the Gerbers will be ok for Uncle. I did find a Walmart 9 miles away, so I can pick some Beechnut up and see if he'll eat that kind first. If not my other cat can have it, as she has been getting all of Uncle's rejects.;):blackeye: She is really loving the rotating buffet concept right now.

26. Taffysmama

Or, like I suggested, just cook some chicken and put in blender and make chicken shake.

27. Taffysmama

Thinking of you guys, hoping Uncle is feeling better today. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

28. tiffmaxee

Thinking of you. :bighug:

29. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

You and Uncle have been on my mind, Barbara. Sending more vines and prayers your way. :bighug:

30. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

Thinking of you. :bighug::bighug: Sending feel better vines for Uncle.

31. Girlie's mom

Girlie's mom Well-Known Member

Thinking of you and so hoping that things will improve. Sending lots of healing vines for you and for Uncle - not an easy time at all... :bighug::bighug::bighug:

32. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Barbara,

Hoping all is going well with you and Uncle. You know you have a lot of people here that care.

33. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

baby food is better than no food--mine will only eat berbers and only when not feeling well. sending prayers...

34. tiffmaxee

:bighug::bighug::bighug: I've been stalking. I hope the BG comes back down and he starts to feel better.

35. Madrona and Leda (GA)

Madrona and Leda (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending healing vines to Uncle :bighug::bighug::bighug:

36. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending every vine, hug, and chant I've got.

37. Girlie's mom

Girlie's mom Well-Known Member

Thinking of you, Barbara, and your dearest Uncle. Sending more healing vines. I hope you're both okay... :bighug::bighug::bighug:

38. Taffysmama

39. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

40. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Praying. :bighug::bighug:

Taffysmama likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.