9/13 Moe: AMPS 99; +10 110, PMPS 110

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Erin and Moe (GA), Sep 13, 2019.

1. Erin and Moe (GA)

Erin and Moe (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi everyone. This is my first post on this thread, I hope I'm doing it right. Moe was diagnosed on 9/1 with BG at 620. My vet immediately started him on 1 unit basaglar 2x/day. We did a glucose curve at the vet on 9/6 with BG levels around 250 most of the day. Vet asked me to change to 1.5 units, but test and if Moe went below 100, to go back to 1 unit. So of course, he went below 100 almost immediately so we went back to 1.0. after two doses at 1.5.

Today, I did not test before he ate, but after his breakfast his BG=99. I didn't give his injection this morning, since I work and can't be here to monitor during the day. At 4:30 pm BG=110. He ate from 5:00 to 6:30 pm and I tested again. At 6:30 pm BG=110 still. I am torn...I don't want to shoot tonight because I won't be able to monitor over night. But then he will have missed two doses. Ideas?

Sue and Luci likes this.
  2. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

Hi Erin, welcome to the board

I think your instinct not to shoot is a very good one, especially since Moes BG levels haven’t changed much today, and you can’t monitor tonight. If it were me I wouldn’t shoot either!

Great that Moe is seeing nice numbers though!

Erin and Moe (GA) likes this.
  3. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

Hi Erin, welcome! I hope you will continue posting. You did great with your first post title :)

It's great that you are home testing already! How is that going? Does Moe tolerate it well?

Have you considered following one of the dosing methods we use here on the board? http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...-low-go-slow-slgs-tight-regulation-tr.210110/

One of the important things we all do here is to test just before every insulin shot--before food. We do this to be sure it is safe to give insulin. Because food increases BG as it enters the cat's system, our rule of thumb around here is to pick up food 2 hours before Pre-shot "PS" time both AM and PM until you learn how much food affects your cat's BG. When members are offering help, we may assume a PS BG number in the spreadsheet is not influenced by food, unless you have indicated that in the "remarks" section for that day.

We also highly recommend getting at least a second test during every cycle, as you can, so that we can get an idea of how low each dose is taking the BG. You have already started doing this, which is great, but a test in the PM cycle is especially helpful as some cats tend to drop lower at night than they do during the day.

On Moe's spreadsheet, when you skip a shot, please indicate that as "NS" so we know that you did not give insulin.

Please keep posting and asking questions. A good tool to draw attention to your post when you have a question is to add a "?" prefix, which is found in the drop down menu in the "Edit Title" box.

4. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Erin! Better to be safe than sorry...since you're new and have so little data it's probably best to be conservative for now. After you have some time to get more tests, you'll have a better idea of Moe's patterns. The SS is like a puzzle - the more blanks you fill in, the more information you'll have. It could be that he needs an even smaller dose than 1 unit.

Once you decide on a protocol you'll have some guidelines to work with - like when to change the dose one way or the other, based on the BG readings you're getting.

Excellent job getting your post title perfect AND your SS up and running! Hope to see your posts daily to let us know how Moe is doing :)