9/13 Tiger pmps 310 +2 267

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tiger and the squid, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Tiger and the squid

Tiger and the squid Member

Good morning. I didn't get to use my thread lady night because of some other stuff that came up. I have a few things I was hoping to discuss, hopefully I'll get the chance to check back here through out the day.

So, going back a bit, Tuesday his amps was in the mid-high 200s, so he got his normal 2u dose. Now, lantus is new to Tiger so "normal" is relative. Checked through out the day, nice good numbers. His pmps was 55 (52 and 59, I double checked) so we skipped his shot. Numbers climbed a bit through the night and he was, expectedly, high yesterday morning. Went back to 2u, went to work. By the time I got home, his pmps was 256, so once again, I went with his 2u dose.

This morning he was high again. I dropped his dose to 1.5u because I feel he might be bouncing.

My vet emailed me last night because she was watching my chart. She suggested doing a split dose, where he gets 2u when hes more active and 1u when hes more lazy. She encouraged me to test his dosing a little, based on when hes up and eating more and when hes sleeping more. Since I work all day its hard to really be sure, but I think mostly he just sleeps and eats lol

2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I don't know what meter you are using as to whether or not a decrease was earned. I don't agree with vet on splitting dose. It will keep the depot unbalanced. There are stickies that explain how the insulin works here. Maybe review them and pass it on to your vet. Most vets don't understand how it works with cats.

Doses are changed in 0.25 increments.

Sonia & Leo and Sue and Luci like this.
  3. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Please listen to Paula's advice. :bighug:

4. Tiger and the squid

.25u is ... really difficult to get the plunger to. I'll try to get 1.75u this evening though.

5. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Split dosing doesn't work with Lantus. It is better to find a dose that you can give consistently twice a day.

We increase/decrease in .25 units as that little bit of insulin can mean a lot to a cat.

It is difficult, some people use calipers to get a consistent dose. It doesn't have to be exact just as consistent as you can get it on those .25 units.

Have you decided on either TR or SLGS? Using SLGS and with a human meter - anything under 90 earns a reduction. Which if I am correct on those two assumptions, he would be at 1.75u.

He is a very bouncy kitty!

6. Tiger and the squid

I know! This boy needs to get off that dang pogo stick!

So would you suggest that I do indeed try to get to 1.75u tonight, or try out 1.5u for a week?

7. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I would try the 1.75u. I realize we have a lower dose once but it should impact the depot that much, just drain it a bit.

Never know we might get some more even numbers going forward!

8. Tiger and the squid

Alright. His preshot numbers were pretty good! (For him, for now) I did my very best to measure out 1.75u. At the very least, he definitely got somewhere between 1.5u and 2u.
    I'm also trying to make better notes in his chart of when, what, and how much he's eating.

9. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

What works for me is, I print out a blank page of the ss. I write the numbers on one line and the next line I write the meds and food. Every couple of days I transfer the info to an excel ss and print out in color. I don't know how well this came out but here is a page.

Attached Files: