9/22 - Frosty - Making it up as we go

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ana & Frosty (GA), Sep 22, 2018.

1. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

Mike Shinoda came out with a video for his song Make It Up As I Go this week, and I feel like it's a good theme song for how I feel after these last 2 weeks. Obviously, the song was about his life after the loss of Chester, but since Frosty's brush with death last week, I really understand the feelings of being not in control and just taking it one step at a time, riding the wave, seeing what happens. So we are just making it up as well go right now, too. (Shoutout to my fellow Linkin Park Fan @H.M. Victor)

Frosty is still eating pretty well, although not as ravenously as he was before this whole thing started ,and he is not able to finish all the food at once - he maybe eats 1/2 cans at a time then goes back for it. He is definitely aware of the Potassium powder and the meds in the food, and is definitely eating around it. This morning, I could't quite tell if he ate the meds or not, since I think the Lasix dissolved in it, and I can't seem to find the Vetmedin. His belly looks maybe slightly? smaller, so I am going to go with the idea that he took them.

His activity is still pretty low, but he does meow at me a few times in the morning, gets up to sit and stare deep into my eyes (LOL), and also jumped on the windowsill by himself this morning. he hasn't been going downstairs on his own, so I brought him down and figured I'll let him lay on the kitchen floor until dinner time, since that' this favorite spot. I also opened the sun room for him, but he hasn't been wanting to come in yet. It's cool in here today - low 70s, and no sun, so maybe that has to do with it.

Tonight, I will try to skip the potassium powder and put his Lasix and Vetmedin into a tablespoon of food at the start of the feeding to see if he eats it. Then I will give him the rest of the can. And very generously, @Shawna & Davidson donated her unused potassium pills to us to try - maybe he will like these better. We already tried 2 different types with no luck. Fingers crossed.

I am also thinking of getting him a 2 compartment automatic feeder by Petsmate (I think?). The 5 compartment ones he was able to turn and break into right away, and eat all the food. I think if I remember correctly, the 2 compartment one also has room for an ice pack, which is nice. I am going to try to to feed him at AMPS/PMPS and then +6, to break it up into 4 small feedings. This past week we had a pet sitter coming to encourage/hand feed him during the day, but I can't really afford to do that every week, so I am going to look into the simpler auto feeders that may be more difficult to break into. I just don't want the food sitting there out all day - its starting to attract flies. But if he does manage, then good for him... I will take that as a huge improvement in his behavior and activity level. If that happens, he deserves to get the food.

I finally managed to get his sugars a little under the renal threshold so he's not downing as much water today as he has been over the last 2 weeks. Thank goodness. Thank goodness for all of this. This is so much better than where we were last weekend.

I updated his IM doctor this morning that he started to improve against all my expectations. She agreed with my plan to slowly incorporate cardiac meds in - starting with the ones that don't affect appetite.

If he continues to improve, maybe I will try the benazepril next.

We are also gonna be running out of Cerenia next week, so I wonder I should decrease his dose from 1/2 to 1/4, or stop it all together now that his appetite is picking up a bit to see if maybe whatever nausea he has had (presumably due to his pancreatitis flare) has resolved. I am a little nervous to stop it since last time I skipped one dose he significantly deteriorated. But that may have been a coincidence, no way to really know. I guess we will see how he does.

The vet wasn't as concerned about the potassium now that he's eating. She said if all goes well and he's taking all his meds, we can add Vetoryl in like 2 weeks. I do agree that it should all be a step-wise approach, which will also help us determine if any of the meds are negatively affecting his appetite.

I plan to continue to entyce appetite stimulant indefinitely for now.

I rescheduled his cardiology appt for October 22nd, since he hasn't been taking his heart medicines anyway so it's not like we can expect any improvement of his heart function right now, so why drag him to the doctor. I would really like to ask him about aspirin or plavix to help prevent an arterial clot, and it freaks me out that he's at a risk for it... but then I remind myself that he has had this heart condition this entire time, and we didn't know about it. This HAS to be the last step to the puzzle, because the last thing we wanna do is add extra meds when he is still not eating or feeling that great.

I hope we make it to October 22nd. I hope he continues to improve, but no guarantees of course. One day at a time.

Thanks again, everyone, for your support!

2. CassAndGordy(GA)

CassAndGordy(GA) Well-Known Member

I am glad that Frosty is rallying!!!

I love LP... I am literally listening to them, lamenting about Chester. I never thought I'd be this upset over the death of a celebrity. But when we lost him.... I realized how much LP had a impact on my adolescence. So sad =(

3. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Love meeting fellow fans!! :bighug: I was devastated and grieved for like a year. I am still sad, but I guess you could say I'm a bit distracted now with Frosty.

I got Frosty because I jointed twitter after Chester passed away, to talk to other fans and other band members, etc. A fellow fan posted Frosty's death row picture, and something just told me I had to save him. We call his Frosty Chester (we really loved his name so didn't wanna change it, so added Chester as a middle name). I always felt like he was brought to me by him in a way. :cat:

4. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

As soon as I saw the title of this post, I knew it had to be inspired by Mike's new video and I agree that it's very fitting :)

I'm glad to hear Frosty is still defying the odds and I truly hope he continues to do so. One day at a time indeed, with continued vines and prayers and hugs to you both :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

5. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Ana I am so glad Frosty is showing some signs of improvement. It sounds like he has definitely told you that he is not ready to give up at this point. Deal with each day and try not to dwell on the big picture. Frosty has no idea what conditions he is dealing with and only knows that he is happy and content at this moment.

Sending prayers. healing energy and strength for both of you.:bighug::bighug:

6. Beck and Philly

Beck and Philly Well-Known Member

I love this post! Happy tears for you guys! There's something to be said for having a plan, but sometimes making it up as you go is the plan that works!

7. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Music that touches my heart and sometimes makes me cry. Not a sad cry.
    Keep making it up Ana, from one cardiomyopathy cat to another. I want you and Frosty to stay very badly.

8. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

So glad to read this! Keep up the improvement Frosty!

Ana & Frosty (GA) likes this.
  9. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Great news for Frosty!! Some times, common sense is the best medicine!!

@Noah & me (GA) ….One of my all time favorite songs!! I actually own several Jackson Browne CDs (and I'm not ashamed to admit it)

10. Ana & Frosty (GA)

I looked into getting this per your advice, but they take 2-3 weeks to arrive! What the? I think I need something sooner... but I can't pay $26 for expedited shipping either! :eek:

11. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Happy news!! And another LP fan here!: sometimes making up as we goes is sometimes the best, you guys are in my prayers and thoughts each and every day:bighug::bighug:

12. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

13. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

It's just one of those things that really move me and I wanted Ana to feel that. Noah is a cardiomyopathy survivor so I used that in place of emojis for some hope, love and a little miracle. Thank you Chris.

14. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Check other vet offices they might sell them. Mine sells a couple of different kinds of pill poppers.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  15. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Thanks, I ended up ordering 2 off of Amazon - for some reason it would arrive after just 1 week instead of 2-3 if I ordered more than 1. @Amanda & Shmee - I can send you 1 of them when I receive it! Let me know. The other pill popper I had didn't work.

I somehow tricked Frosty into taking his Lasix, Vetmedin, and Cerenia pills inside pill pockets that I put in the food. I think as his appetite improves, he is getting less picky about the meds - although he did eat around them when I first added them just in the food plain. I don't know how many carbs are in those pill pockets, but right now it's the least of my worries. Either way, I want to have the piller on hand just in case - like if he has another pancreatitis flare, or decides he doesn't want the pill pockets.

@Noah & me (GA) - I always say that Music is Therapy. In fact, I have a T shirt that says that. :)

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  16. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

I haven't used cerenia nor had to deal with pancreatitis myself but I think that I remember some members advising not to come off it too quickly as it can knock them back if it hasn't resolved. I'm just going to tag @Amy&TrixieCat she dealt and effectively managed chronic pancreatitis with Trixie so hopefully she can offer you the benefit of her experience.

I'm so happy to hear that he's doing so much better this weekend.

17. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

Ana I’m just so glad that Frosty is rallying. You are a fantastic mom to Frosty! I listen to the heartache as our babes become ill & I can’t help to feel the pain. Anyway, ours lives should be taken just a day at a time & there is only so much we have control over... :bighug::bighug:

18. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hmm, got the Buster piller in less than a week from Amazon.ca but I just ordered one at a time.

Love the Frosty report today! And it sounds like Ana is doing better too. :bighug:

Hurray for blue:cool:

19. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

A wonderful uplifting update for the most beautiful Frosty. Long may it continue. Take care of yourself Ana.

20. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

I'm sorry I'm just seeing this today. Yes, one thing with p-titis is that you want to continue meds for at least several days past when symptoms resolve. You want to be sure that it has actually resolved and that the meds aren't covering up the symptoms. It is also much easier to stay ahead of both nausea and pain than it is to catch up to it if it returns. I hope Frosty is feeling better today!

21. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Agreed! He started eating better last Wednesday, and today is the first day i cut his Cerenia dose in half. I will continue for 3 more days. I stopped his appetite stimulant yesterday because he is almost totally back to his baseline appetite. From your experience, is this a good approach?

Thanks!

Gill & George likes this.
  22. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

This sounds good. If you see any backsliding at all, you should restart the meds right away do it doesn’t get ahead of you.

23. Jill & Scooter

Jill & Scooter Well-Known Member

Great news! Keep eating and take your meds Frosty!

24. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

25. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I hope Frosty continues to recover. :bighug:

26. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

How is Frosty doing today?

27. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

The Cat Mate C20 with two compartments, each with it's own mechanical timer (no digital 'problems') is a really good feeder. Rusty used his for all his meals, even when I didn't set the timers. It comes with it's own ice pack.
    I bought small, shallow glass or ceramic dishes that would fit into the plastic trays and make eating wet food easier.
    https://www.chewy.com/cat-mate-c20-2-bowl-automatic-pet/dp/103145

Frosty's report sounds promising. I hope he continues to feel pretty good. :cat:

:bighug::bighug::bighug: