!!9/22 Morgaine AMPS Important info re meters!!!!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by skybar22, Sep 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skybar22

skybar22 Well-Known Member

yesterday

Hope everyone is doing well today!

We are hoping for some slightly better numbers after the increase. Maybe today. I am, however, very pleased with an AMPS of 109. Movin on.

ETA: Please read my post about the meters further down on this condo.

2. Melissa & Tarragon

Melissa & Tarragon Well-Known Member

Re: 9/22 Morgaine AMPS 109

Great AMPS!! Have a wonderful day!

3. SmokeyD

SmokeyD Member

Morgaine has such lovely flat curves... Good luck on getting some green! :mrgreen:

4. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Hi guys .. morgaines numbers are looking very nice .. That 109 is definitely something to smile about! have a great night!

5. Christie & Willie (GA)

Christie & Willie (GA) Well-Known Member

Great numbers for Morgaine today!!! I'm sure you're seeing greens now!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

6. skybar22

I have been reading about the differences in meters today due to my experiences using the Freestyle Lite and the One Touch Ultra mini. With both myself and Morgaine The Freestyle has consistently given me lower readings and the variance at higher numbers was much greater than the variance at lower numbers. Some of you may already know this but if you do not, these meters measure the sample differently. What I have discovered is that the One Touch (OT) has calibrated their meters to adjust for plasma blood readings while most other meters have not and give the straight whole blood reading. So, the accuracy on the OT can be questionable since it is using whole blood but adjusting by a certain formula to read as plasma blood. Many reviews on amazon complain about the inaccuracies of the OT. The protocol we use here for LL is based on measuring whole blood so I think that it might be important to find out more about how they calibrated the OT if they are changing the values of the whole blood it uses. Labs remove the red cells and measure only the plasma which is why there is a variance. Also, that variance is always greater with higher levels of glucose in the blood. So, some food for thought for all of us. Be sure you check to see whether your meter has been calibrated for plasma or whole blood.

I do feel more confident now using the Freestyle.

7. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

I knew that about the alpha trak...but not the one touch.

good info!

8. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

I would definitely smile at the 109, also. Heck, that deserves an almost :mrgreen: smile. :D GO MORGAINE!!!!

9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Great info and thanks for doing the research.

10. skybar22

The older One Touch meters are not calibrated for plasma. It is the new generation of their meters that have this distinction so check your meter. Personally, as long term diabetic, i find it confusing and I also believe there needs to be more upfront information concerning this. Here is why.

I adjust my own insulin dosing based on my meter readings. Idid a little experiment with the OT yesterday. when it gave me a higher reading, I dosed for that reading. It ended up being too much insulin and i had a hypo within an hour. I did that twice to see if I was just wonky. Same thing happened. With the protocols we all use, both human and feline, for whole blood readings, it can be dangerous if you are not aware of this. Example:

I know that if I want to lower my BS by 50mg/dL, I need 1 unit of humalog to accomplish that based on whole blood readings. So, when the OT read 165 the Freestyle read 115. I wanted to test the OT so I bolused 1 unit and an hour later my BG was 56 on the freestyle but 69 on the OT. Less variance at lower numbers but I was clearly feeling the hypo so i knew I was lower than 69. Of course this is all anecdotal but I trust my years of doing this. That is why i did some research. BTW, Humalog is a very fast acting insulin with a 15 minute onset for me.

11. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Hi, Rosalie - Lots of sticks for the bean, but great information.

Happy to see Morgaine doing so well. :D

12. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Interesting. I just switched from the OT to the Relion last week. On the day we made the switch, we did several side-by-side comparisons using the same drop of blood, and each time the OT read higher than the Relion. I have to admit, that made me nervous, thinking that perhaps we had let Trixie run too low at times....

Thanks for the info!

13. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

wonderful info - thank you!

14. skybar22

I don't think the low numbers vary nearly as much as the higher numbers. In my comparisons it has been 10-20%. This is also true for the plasma readings from the lab. It is the higher numbers that varies greatly and IMO, the OT does read higher than the variance. My Precision X tra is somewhere in the middle on the higher numbers and i think it is probably more accurate than the OT.

15. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Even with low numbers, we had a pretty decent variance, although it fell "within range". For example, at +10 the Relion gave us a 67, and the OT gave us an 82, and at PMPS the Relion gave us an 88 and the OT gave us a 102. That was actually a bit more of a variance than we expected, so it made me wonder all those times we let Trix surf out the mid 50 reads we got from the OT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.