9/23**Spike**Oldtimer Report

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by JaniceandSpike, Sep 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JaniceandSpike

JaniceandSpike Well-Known Member

Good Morning LL!
    Its been awhile since we've visited. Spike is doing well for a guy who will be turning 17 next month and has been diabetic for 5 years. He had an issue over the summer where he was vomiting once a day for about a week. I thought it was his food so I tried switching it up but he didn't like that so he wasn't eating as much. I started giving him pepcid two times a day and that seemed to help. He wasn't due for his senior wellness check-up until Oct but I took him in July because of the vomiting. While I was there I mentioned two years ago I had his blood pressure checked and got the results over the phone and they were high but my vet never got back to me. They did mention they had a hard time getting the reading. I dismissed this figuring everything was fine because I never heard from my vet (she was also in the process of getting married). My new vet seemed concerned and did a BP check with some difficulty and it was high. She did it a couple of times and it still averaged high. We decided to put Spike on a low dose of medicine. He went back for a check in a week and his pressure was normal and no more vomiting at all. When he had his blood work the results showed mild kidney disease. I was expecting this as he got older. He goes for another blood work check in Nov. For now he's back to normal with all 5 Ps. He still gets his adequan shot every other week for his arthritis. He loves his porch and has many places to take his daily cat naps. All in all I think he's doing wonderful and we'll just take it one day at a time. His diabetes is well controlled, here are his averages
    7 day...100 14 day...100 and 30 day...110 he's also on a lower dose 4u instead of 5.5u which he was on for the longest time.
    Until next report, have a great day everyone,
    Janice and Spike

2. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

So great to hear that Spike's doing well

3. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Glad to hear Spike is doing so well!

4. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Spike so happy to see a report and that you are feeling better :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

5. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Janice - it is so great to hear from the old-timers. 5 years for Spike? We are going on 4 and a half.... how times flies huh. It is nice to read that Spike is going so well - and at 17! I love his numbers - you have done very well with him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.