GA 9/3 - DAVIDSON R.I.P. - A Thank You update

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Shawna & Davidson (GA), Sep 4, 2018.

1. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

Davidson's final condo: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...-61-1-67-2-49-2-5-46-3-42-3-5-52-4-55.202037/

To all Davidson's friends in LaLa Land..............

It is with great sadness that I’m letting you know that Davidson is now with the stars in the sky and will forever watch over me from above.

Davidson was a big baby, a mama's boy and was my “Handsome Man” who spoiled me with his everlasting love and attention. He always brought a smile to my face and made me laugh daily when he stuck out his tongue and looked at me with his love and affection. I couldn't walk in the door without him greeting me, following me and never letting me out of his sight…. until we got to the cookie drawer.

When he was diagnosed with diabetes in 2014, he fought hard and went into remission within 3 months. Again this past March when the diabetes returned, he found the strength and willpower to try to overcome it. He was earning insulin reductions weekly, and the way he was going in the past couple of week, no doubt within a month he would have possibly gone into remission.

On Aug 14th he received a diagnosis of Renal Kidney Disease, but in the early stages. His arthritis was acting up and his leg muscles grew weaker due to low potassium levels from RKD. Davidson had my full and undivided attention over the past two weeks, and yesterday morning he was walking around and jumping as if he was back to being himself and I even took a video since I was so happy.

At pmps time Davidson was 61 and I knew he would hypo within a few hours as he always did, so it was important to get him eating and that meant HC food and no supplements. Davidson refused to eat, and I tried all 10 types of flavours and every kind of food and he just didn't want to eat. He wouldn't even eat his favourite cookies and so I knew something wrong and then he had a few licks of food and he head twitched several times and his eyes started moving around from side to side. I knew something was wrong, but didn't know what and while on the phone with a friend she suggested I take him to the emergency vet to at least get a second opinion.

After reviewing the videos and the previous blood work done Aug 14th, and hearing about his Davidson’s previous days from me, the conclusion was that Davidson had a brain tumor. The eyes are Nystagimus (spelling) and more then likely this is what's been causing the walking problem and it had nothing to do with the RKD or FD. Even this vet said the RKD was in such preliminary stages he didn't need anything, but how was anyone to know. I could have done an MRI by taking him out to Toronto, but that would only give me confirmation of what I was being told - nothing could be done that would give Davidson the quality of life that we all wish for.

It's with great sadness that I had to make the decision to let him go and be free.

Everyone on the FDMB has been very supportive of Davidson during his first rodeo and especially now. W all know he's a great candidate for showing us all that remission is possible and the amount of work it takes to get our kitties there and we all wish the same end result and reach remission. I don't have to say how grateful I am for all the help, support, understanding and every other emotion I have for the people on here. Right now I'm at a loss for words, and Harley is fully aware something is wrong, so my attention is with him.

Thank you Davidson for the 16 1/2 wonderful years you gave me and your brother Harley!! The unconditional love you provided to me is un-measurable and you will forever be in my heart.

Ride the highway of the stars and brighten the nights with your gorgeous eyes!

I love you and will always miss you!

R.I. P.

Davidson “Baby” Aron

May 1, 2002 – September 3, 2018

With great sadness, enjoy these pictures of Davidson,

Shawna & Harley

IMG_8251.JPG IMG_6171.jpg IMG_7314.JPG IMG_8761.jpg IMG_1881.jpg H&D as kittens.jpg H&D bigger.jpg

Dyana, JeffJ, Bellasmom and 1 other person like this.
  2. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. Cherish the time you had with Davidson. I love the pictures you added to this condo. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

3. Beta kitty

Beta kitty Member

Sorry for the loss of your beautiful baby.

4. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

((((((((Shawna)))))))) I am so very very sorry to be reading this. It has been a long haul for you lately with Davidson's declining health and you were the best caregiver to him. Sending you lots of love and light for your heart to be at peace soon. :bighug:

RIP Davidson. Fly high, land softly. cat_wings>o

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  5. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

Oh Shawna! I am so very sorry to hear it was Davidson's time to leave you. He was such a beautiful and quirky boy (that tongue!). I hope your heart can find peace. I am sending lots of love your way. Give Harley some extra kisses and scritches from me. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Fly free sweet Davidson and land softly. cat_wings>o

6. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

7. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

I am so so sorry Shawna.. you did everything you could (and more) for him.. :rb_icon:cat_wings>o:bighug::bighug:

8. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry you had to let your boy go. :bighug::rb_icon:cat_wings>o

9. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

With tears. I am so, so sorry for your loss. Fly free Davidson, land softly.

:bighug::bighug:cat_wings>o

10. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I am sorry you had to let your baby go. Sending peace vines for you and your family.

11. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Oh Shawna, I am so sad to read this and my heart goes out to you. You did everything you knew how to do, loved him dearly and had the courage and grace to let him go. He will always live in your heart. Peace and comfort to you, the family and Harley.

12. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

I am so so sorry for your loss, my heart just sank when I saw this
    RIP Davidson fly freecat_wings>ocat_wings>ocat_wings>ocat_wings>o

13. Mary Ann & Baby

Mary Ann & Baby Member

Oh, I'm crying. I'm so sorry. What a beautiful baby.

14. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Oh Shawna, I am so very sorry that it was Davidson's time to cross. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

15. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Another old timer is gone :(

So sorry to hear the news Shawna....nobody could be a better mama for Davidson than you were.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Fly free sweet Davidson and land softly. There are lots of friends at the bridge to welcome you and keep you company until the one you love most comes to be with you forever. cat_wings>o

16. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

I’m so sorry. The photos of Davidson are beautiful. I love the ones of him with his tongue out. :bighug:
    cat_wings>o:rb_icon:

17. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Your pictures of Davidson show he was loved and cared for. So many kittehs don't get that, but you gave Davidson the best.

May Davidson fly freely and land safely at the bridge, waiting for you there. He was a beautiful boy.cat_wings>o

18. Rebecca.garfie

Rebecca.garfie Member

Shawna and Harley I am so sorry to hear about Davidson. As I sit here and read this I am balling my eyes out. You did everything and more to help him. Just remember the good memories and fun times. He is now running free and happy as can be. When you see an eagle take a moment and look up as I believe the spirits of our loved ones are floating on the eagles wings. Davidson is always looking down on you guys so don't ever forget that. He may be gone but never forgotten. If it wasn't for Davidson I would never have meet a wonderful person like you. Love the photos!
    R.I.P DAVIDSON

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  19. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

(((((Shawna)))))
    I am so very sorry. What a beautiful tribute to such a beautiful spirit.

Fly free Davidson and land softly. You will be dearly missed.

20. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Shawna I'm so sorry. You did everything you could for him and gave him the greatest gift in letting him go so he wouldn't suffer. Fly free sweet Davidson. Sending prayers for you and Harley. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

21. Carol in Chicago

Carol in Chicago Member

Dear Shawna - I'm so very sorry to read this. I'm crying with you and for you. The photos are beautiful. Thank you for sharing him with us. :bighug:

22. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

((((Shawna)))) I am so sorry to hear you had to say goodbye to Davidson.
    The photos are just beautiful. What a gorgeous boy.
    Sending love and hugs to you.:bighug::bighug:
    Fly free Davidson and land softly at the rainbow bridge:rb_icon:cat_wings>o

23. CassAndGordy(GA)

CassAndGordy(GA) Well-Known Member

I am immensely sorry that Davidson has gone ahead. Many condolences to you, Harley and the rest of your family :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Fly free sweet Davidson ... land softly :rb_icon:

24. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Oh, Shawna...my heart is breaking for you and the loss of your boy Davidson...the only consolation we all have at times like this is that he's no longer in pain - just playing there with the other GA's on the other side of the rainbow bridge. It never hurts us any less when they leave us...for a temporary time...and we all know they'll all be waiting ... that's why we call them 'GA's.. May your sweet baby fly free and land softly...Sending warm hugs to you and Harley.:bighug::bighug::bighug:cat_wings>o

25. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

{{{Shawna and Harley}}}

I am so sad to read that Davidson has crossed the Bridge. We all know how much you loved him, and so did he. You proved it over and over, and then you gave him the ultimate gift - his freedom. Harley, I know you will miss your brother so much, and be grieving along with your mamabean. Be good to each other as you navigate these next difficult days, and try to keep the good memories foremost in your minds. They will carry you through.:bighug:

Fly free, Davidson, and land softly. :rb_icon:

26. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Noooooooooooooooo. I never expected to read this today.
    Oh, Shawna, I'm so sorry. My heart is simply breaking for you. You did everything you could for Davidson right up til the end... giving him the gift only given by one who loves selflessly. Davidson was so lucky to have you and you him.
    Sending you peace, hugs, love, and strength... scritches for Harley.

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

cat_wings>o Fly free dear Davidson... land softly.

27. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

28. Beck and Philly

Beck and Philly Well-Known Member

It was hard to see the last few pics because by then my eyes were full of tears. I'm so sorry! There's no doubt that he had a mama that loved him and gave him the best care ever. Run free Davidson.

29. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Dear (((Shawna))),
    We are so very sorry that it was Davidson's time to begin his new adventure. You gave him the best care and he knew that you would give him a loving farewell. All of his friends at the Bridge will be welcoming him tonight, as he glides up on his beautiful golden wings.
    Fly free, handsome Davidson! You are much loved. cat_wings>o

Thank you for sharing those wonderful pictures. We know how much you will miss Davidson. And how much Harley will miss him. How much we all will miss him. Hold Harley close tonight and feel the love your boy is sending you from the Bridge.

In deepest sympathy,

Ella & Edward, Rusty (GA), and Stu (GA)

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  30. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss Shawna. So sad to hear, but the pics gave me a smile of how happy Davidson was. You gave him a great life.
    Fly free sweet Davidson cat_wings>o

31. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I’m so sorry it was Davidson’s time. You gave him that final gift that none of us want. I hope that comforts you. :bighug:

32. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I am so very, very sorry for your loss, Shawna. His story and your photos are beautiful. Thank you for sharing the love you shared.

Gentle journey, Davidson :rb_icon::rb_icon:cat_wings>ocat_wings>o

33. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Prayers for your grieving heart.... Fly Free Davidson....
    It's never long enough....
    [​IMG]

34. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

In tears for you, so sorry to hear this sad news <3

35. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

I am so sorry that it was time to let Davidson go! He was a most handsome kitty! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

36. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

Fly free sweet Davidson cat_wings>o. No more pain just green grass and all the cookies you want.

37. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

38. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Beautiful photos of beautiful cats. :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

39. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

So sorry. He liked sticking his tongue out didn't he. Ride into the wind and be free Davidson.

40. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

Oh gosh, look at that tongue :) So sorry for your loss, he will forever be in your heart.

41. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Oh Shawna, I'm so so so sorry. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

42. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

(((Shawna and Harley))) I am so sorry to read the sad news. :bighug::bighug::bighug: You did everything and beyond for your sweet boy. May the wind stroke his fur softly, the way you did, as he rides his way to the stars. cat_wings>o

43. Jill & Scooter

Jill & Scooter Well-Known Member

So sad to read this condo. My heart goes out to you and Harley. I have followed you and Davidson since I joined the board and could tell how much you loved him and how dedicated you were to providing the very best care for him. He was a very handsome boy and I absolutely love his little pink tongue sticking out! Prayers for peace and comfort for you and Harley. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

44. Janine & Floyd (GA)

Janine & Floyd (GA) Member

So, so sorry. RIP Davidson.cat_wings>o

45. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

(((((Shawna and Harley))))))
    I am so sad to hear the news. Thanks for sharing those photos of your Handsome Man. Fly free and land softly sweet Davidson.

46. Susan&Felix(GA)

Susan&Felix(GA) Well-Known Member

Very sorry to see you have lost your adorable Davidson. cat_wings>o May you and sweet Harley be a comfort to one another.

47. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

Laura and Gremlin (GA) Well-Known Member

So sorry for the loss of your gorgeous boy

48. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss.
    thXFO5ETKA.jpg
    When you see the stars twinkling at night, think of your sweet boy's loving eyes watching over you. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Jill & Jade and LizzieInTexas like this.
  49. Jill & Jade

Jill & Jade Well-Known Member

:( I’m so sorry for your loss...

50. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your wonderful comments filled with love and care for Davidson, Harley and I. It’s been close to 2 weeks since loosing Davidson and as you can imagine an emotional roller coaster filled with tears, laughter and great memories of Davidson.

The Vet called Sept 7 th to let me know Davidson arrived and to come pick him up, and that was a weird phone call that brought anxiety, tears and laughter. It’s not like Elvis where he “left the building” but their intentions were good so when I got passed the tears I went to get him. More tears at the Vet as expected as they really loved Davidson as he was so easy to test, inject yearly needles and draw blood - Harley, don’t even think about him, it’s a nightmare. So there he was in a nice box and I brought him home and tentatively opened the box as I’ve never even seen an urn before, let alone have one in my house with my family member inside it.

First out was Davidson’s paw print with his name, very nice and I’m glad I got it done. Then the urn was unwrapped and it was supposed to have Davidson’s name engraved on it - nope!! Some poofy ribbon with a heart shaped pendant hanging with his name. No Way - Davidson was a handsome man, nothing poofy about him so it had to be changed. I called back to the Emergency Vet and they apologized and explained only metal urns could be engraved and it would be no problem to change it “just bring him back”....strange at first, made it feel like he was a commodity, but then the tears turned to laughter as I got this great idea.

Davidson was going for a ride on my Harley!!! How perfect, since he and his brother are named from my Harley Davidson, so now I could take him for a ride down the beautiful Niagara Parkway which I ride daily. I stopped at my friends memorial, told Davidson about all my favourite spots, and at one time apologized for taking a corner sharply and telling Davidson I was sorry if he was tipping over in my saddle bag, It was a perfectly sunny day, bright and beautiful and couldn’t be better with Davidson right at my side enjoying the ride!!!

The Vet was great and Davidson should be back at home in a few days.........but now that he was with me on the bike I decided to have him there all the time, so a small urn will be filled with some of Davidson’s ashes and will be placed in my bike and he’ll be riding the highway with me all the time. And when Harley joins Davidson in the sky of stars, he too will have his place with us on the bike and then Harley, Davidson and I will be riding the twisties together!!

Everyone on the FBMB has been so wonderful, not just for Davidson and I, but for everyone one out there who has the first time nerves from the FD Dx, to the endless posts we all make, to the comforts and understanding we all need when our BG numbers are high, low or anywhere in between. I don’t know where I’d be without you, and to the special people who always followed Davidson and provided advise or recommendations. I know we all can’t follow and give advise for everyone, but you should all know that everyone has the same goal in the end - help, support and feel the connection we all have as one big family experiencing the same emotions as we travel the road of FD.

I will peek in and offer my advice and support........it’s a strange feeling not waking up and testing and posting daily BG’s or threads......it becomes a routine, not to say I miss it as that would mean another cat with FD, but now I have a lot more time to spend with Harley or myself. I know I’m very lucky to have Davidson only on insulin a short time when first Dx’d and then for this last rodeo and had he still been with us he would have been OTJ in another few days and beat “it” again!!

It’s a long, slow road for many of you - don’t give up and just do the best you can each day with what you have. If I could bring Davidson back and he would be on 10 units forever, I would trade everything I have right now to have him back.

So love your kitties to the nth degree, life is short and it bites you in the ass when you least expect it - cherish the memories we all experience is something we all will never loose...........

So at this time all is good and even Harley is adjusting day by day, as he has never been a day without Davidson so it’s a big void in his life. At least he’s starting to eat better and back sleeping in my bed. How good is that!!!

Davidson will Iive on, I read him all your posts and he has always been fully aware how important his FDMB Family has been!!

THANK YOU ALL..........no words can express my appreciation so I will just say you’ve been PURRFECT!!

Shawna, Harley and My Handsome Man - Davidson

51. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I love the idea of Davidson riding with you always. Sending prayers for you and Harley. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

52. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

Thank you for the update Shawna, it is soo good to hear from you again. I had never heard of getting a paw print impression, but I love the idea! I wish I had done something like that for my Mateo, but I'll keep it in mind for the future. I have to say I smiled and laughed and had a bit of tears of joy when I read about Davidson's first ride on the Harley! What a fun idea! Sending you and Harley love. Can you give Harley some scritches for me?
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

53. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Awww Shawna, what a great idea to ride with Davidson!!! Huge hugs to you and Harley. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

54. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Wishing you and Davidson many happy rides. Maybe you could rig up a seat for Harley.

55. Rebecca.garfie

Rebecca.garfie Member

What an awesome idea to add him to your Harley. This way he will ride on and be forever close no matter where you go. Glad to hear Harley is getting better